Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Up In Smoke (Cigar Talk) - Cold, Dark Offseason Continues Edition

+3 HS
zmoty9's picture
July 19, 2016 at 9:47pm
10 Comments

I wasn't planning on posting another one of these topics until the season started but I found a way to do another.

General Quick Hitters:

- Congratulations to the Cavs on their NBA championship.  Cleveland:  Just don't become obnoxious like Boston did with the Patriots, Red Sox (especially the Red Sox), and Celtics.

- Can we officially force the Warriors to claim Oakland as their home town?  If the Pistons have to claim the garbage heap that is Detroit, if New York City has to claim the garbage heap that is the Knicks, it's only fair that the Warriors have to claim Oakland.

- That MLB All Star Game was....something I guess.  I love baseball but man, the game was not a great watch.

Buckeyes Quick Hitters:  So, I recently re-watched the 2014 Big Ten Championship Game and these are my observations from that game.

- I had previously given Gus Johnson crap for calling Bosa's suplex of Melvin Gordon, calling it a 'Belly to Back Suplex' and telling him to get his head out of his ass.  Upon rewatch, it wasn't Gus, but rather Charles Davis who said that.  So Gus, my apologies.  Charles - it's called a German Suplex.  Get your head out of your ass.

- Fox sideline reporter, Molly McGrath....DIBS!  

- Rewatching, I'm curious how much of the Tom Herman gameplanning was aimed at 'protecting' Cardale.  Protecting may not be the best word for it, but the first few plays were quick crossing patterns to get Cardale comfortable after completing a few easy passes.  Man, I miss Tom Herman.

The Cigar:

I rewatched the game on Friday afternoon while pretending to work from home being a good employee and working from home.  After the game, I decided to walk out on the balcony and light up a smoke continue working.  That working was with a San Lotano Oval, a lovely little dual Nicaraguan and Honduran filler smoke.  The draw on this thing was perfect and it had a nice, spicy taste to it.  Every review of it I've seen has labeled it a medium bodied smoke, but this thing was pretty full in my experience.  That said, it's one of those rectangular cigars, which I'm not really a fan of.  If you're a normal person and that doesn't necessarily bother you, give it a shot.  It was delightful.

Because I was working, I didn't partake in any pairing of a beverage, but given the spice, I don't know that scotch would be a good pairing.  Perhaps a lighter bourbon would do the trick.

And that wraps the cigar talk.

Programming note:  This will be my final 'Up In Smoke' post, and also my final post on Eleven Warriors.  Upon hitting Save, I will be signing off for likely the last time.  As much as I've enjoyed this community over the last couple of years, there have been a lot of comments on topics over the last few weeks that have turned me off of commenting and being a part of the community going forward.  It's nothing like any particular commenter picking at me or namecalling, I simply disagree with the sentiment of a very large amount of the commentariat's beyond just a basic 'I don't like that' ideology.  I'll still be a lurker on the staff posts, but just won't be joining in the discussion on those posts or the forums.  If someone wants to take up the 'Up in Smoke' mantel, have at it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments