Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Twenty Years Ago Today

+18 HS
BuckeyeChief's picture
April 10, 2016 at 8:57am
23 Comments

First off, I want to thank my wife and daughters, I would have never made it this far without you all!!!

Twenty years ago today, a young man, who had recently failed out of Ohio State left Columbus. I left to better myself, return in six years, and go back to Ohio State to finish what I started. The first stop in my journey took me to Great Lakes, Illinois. Once I got there, I was very unsure that I wanted to stay and did everything in my power to quit; it wasn’t to be. No matter what he did, it was my destiny to end up in California. (Side note: on my final PT test, I purposely did way less push-ups then required; my buddy gave them a different number. The RDC then asked if I was a runner before I started my mile and a half; my answer was no. Funny how that has changed!).

Day of departure and boot camp graduation

Sometime in June of 1996, I graduated boot camp and was transferred to Fleet ASW Training Center, San Diego, CA. I was still struggling with the rigors of Navy life, and at one point, got to have a one on one with the “Old Man” (ironically, the “Old Man” was a Michigan Man). After this meeting, my Chief threw my skinny ass against the bulkhead, put a forearm against my throat and threatened to kill me if I ever had a meeting with the “Old Man”. (Hint, I never did). I will never forget walking past the galley after the scum game in 1997; I think the whole base was waiting at the window to taunt me.

During his time in San Diego, I met a lot of great people who would become lifelong friends and mentors. Some were older and had more life experience, some were my age just starting off. We hung out at Adalberto’s, Jack in the Box, Padres games, and Tijuana; we discussed and helped each other deal with life problems, family problems, promotions, qualifications, and life. (FYI: a long island iced tea is not really iced tea).

In September of 1997, it was time for me to make another change, this time to the Fleet. I packed up my sea bag (well most of it; I was still a pretty dumb ass and left a lot of uniforms in San Diego to be mailed out later)and reported to the USS COLE in Norfolk, Virginia in late October. The first few months were among the worst time in my life. My first week was particularly rough. After the Indians blew the World Series, I went out to sea and was sick non-stop, until we pulled into St. Croix on a Friday night. Saturday morning, I called my girlfriend at Dennison, who promptly dumped him over a pay phone. (Comically, she tried to get back together with me a few years later). During this tour, I made a bunch of lifelong friends and mentors. Some of these mentors pulled me through really dark times, and sometimes, they had more faith in this Sailor then I did in myself. In May of 1999, this Sailor met the love of his life, and they started dating. Things didn’t always go smooth, but we settled down for good and have been married over 15 years, with two daughters and a mortgage. I also witnessed my beloved BUCKEYES advance to their 1st Final Four in his lifetime, advanced to 3rd Class, and was Command Advanced to 2nd Class.

In August of 2000, I broke my foot and it was time for this Sailor to move along, this time to the USS CAPE ST GEORGE where I earned my warfare pin, and had an otherwise un-eventful tour until September 11, 2001. (Note: yes, I left the COLE 2 months before it was bombed. I get sick everyday thinking about it, I lost a lot of friends, and inexplicably, declined to call anybody outside of my immediate family to let them know I wasn’t there. To this day, there are a lot of people in Columbus that have no idea where I am). Deciding that the time wasn’t right to go back home, this Sailor re-enlisted for the first time. Unfortunately, the ship had a shaft being repaired, and by the time it was fixed, I was set to transfer to Dam Neck in Virginia Beach. While I was there, I learned a lot, started off on my path towards redemption in the academic realm and took a few courses, while strengthening the bond with my wife and daughter. (Yes, I woke my then two year old daughter for the 4th quarter of the Championship game and kept her up until the game ended so she could say she saw it). Earning another warfare pin, I settled into Virginia Beach, and became a hard core runner, until October 2005, when it was time to move yet again, this time to USS ROSS. This was the beginning of a rough 10 year stretch.

I re-enlisted for the second time, and reported in December 2005. The following summer, I went on a NATO deployment, saw a lot of Europe and returned home to a brand new baby girl. In the summer of 2007, by either a miracle or a tremendous screw-up, this Sailor was selected for Chief Petty Officer. (Hang on Sloopy, Across the Field, and The Golden Girls theme song saved my ass a few times during Induction). The following summer, I discovered an awesome website, ELEVEN WARRIORS, filled with a bunch of fellow rabid BUCKEYE fans, while I was deployed to the Gulf.

me and the vest, summer 2007

In the Fall of 2008, it was time for me to move on; this time it was to train younger Sailors, while riding their ships, from Norfolk, to San Diego and I even got to hang out in Austin,Texas for a few weeks! I learned a lot over the three years there, re-enlisted once more, then moved onto USS CARR. For once, I deployed to the Caribbean (counter drug ops), and got to transit the Panama Canal. I was sure to point out ALL of the equipment made in Ohio used there, as it was all over the place. After a while, the NAVY decided it was time for the CARR to be retired, so again, I packed my seabag, and reported on to what SHOULD be my last ship, the USS LEYTE GULF, where I made Senior Chief, and met Kyle C and Chuck S. Again, I made a NATO deployment and spent a lot of time with the GERMAN Sailors of the FGS Niedersachsen. NOTHING beats getting up in the middle of the night to watch the beatdown we put on ‘Bama during the trans-Atlantic crossing. For good luck, Kyle and I chugged coffee and chain smoked Newports every commercial break. Amazingly, almost the entire Mess got up to watch the game, and it may be the top BUCKEYE moment ever for me. (When the game was over, we had to get dressed and go to quarters. I was exhausted, but elated). As soon I got home, I got to witness his BUCKEYES win the 1st CFP! Come May 2015, I reported back to Dam Neck. (I can’t lie, since April 10th, 1996 I have dreamed of the day I walked down the pier for the last time, never to return. When the moment came, it may have been the hardest walk down the pier I have ever made, outside of leaving my family to deploy…I was openly weeping, since I knew it would never get to experience the comradery, life of a seagoing Sailor, or a ship again. That crew as a whole was great and I really miss them all…That was really tough, and I cried in the parking lot for a while).

OHIO with German shipmates and a turncoat

Along the way, I have picked up running because of my Father in Law, met and made a lot of friends. From Brookhaven and CAHS to San Diego and Virginia; this Sailor would like to thank his wife and daughters and his wife’s family; The city of Columbus…I ain’t coming home but I love ya’ll; Stephanie C, Lisa M, Autumn C, Dorreal R, Kevin D, “Most Hated”; Steve J, Dan W, CDR Les S, “Team Sonar” on COLE; Nick and Mark; the “Six Pack of 2007”, Mike B, Willie Mac; Mike K, John C, Allen M; Jason and Ramzy, 11W, my fellow mods who discuss a lot of life aspects; CDR Dino P, LCDR Aleron R, Tony, Horace and Ren;, Chuck, Kyle, Rere, the whole 55 Mess, and everyone who pushed, prodded and motivated my ass along the way.

Departing CG 55

I am dead set on retiring in June of 2018, but as we know, life sometimes has other plans, so who knows. I won’t be able to finish my Bachelor’s for Ohio St, so I am going to Toledo. My oldest is in High School, and I am praying every day she is good enough and decides to play at Ohio State. My youngest may yet play basketball there!

Peace,

Julio C. (formerly known as Will at CAHS, lol).

Out of Hound since 1996

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments