Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

My Own National Signing Day, 1996.

0 HS
63tinman's picture
February 2, 2016 at 11:19am
49 Comments

I had been there before. Last signed back in 1984, I had  been granted an unconditional release (so long as I complied with the conditions of my release) from the local magistrate. I was free to recruit and be recruited once again, knowing full well the recruiting process would likely never lead to actually putting a commitment in writing again. Then my attention was drawn to one particular prospect.

She was 5'8" 116 pounds of busty hourglass when the recruiting process began. She had many offers, but showed little interest. I had no film on her to analyze, she did not camp, and I was having trouble securing an official visit. Most observations were made Mutual of Omaha style - in the wild from a safe distance - until I saw an opportunity to make my move. I had been in the hunt before thinking I had successfully secured my prey, only to find out later that I'm the one who got bagged. Hard. I had to proceed carefully.

Not wanting to come off as a total Harbaugh, I couldn't bring myself to suggest the sleepover maneuver at my first opportunity. It was tempting, however. It could answer so many questions. Speed, flexibility, drive, natural ability, ball handling skills... what intangibles did she possess? Would she need or even take coaching?  But that was for another time. The recruiting process played out slowly. Building the relationship is the cornerstone of recruiting, after all. 

Well, by February 3, 1996, National Signing Day was upon me. My recruit was still in the same form 2 years after the recruiting began. I saw no need to pack additional pounds on her frame, and prayed that after signing day she would not see that need either. I had been here before. What was I doing here again, ready to put it in writing? Had I lost my mind? It truly was a case study in the triumph of hope over experience. 

That has somehow been 20 years ago. I tell her she's the best wife I've ever had. (And any wives I've had, that were wives at the time, were mine. Just saying.) She has stuck with me through good and bad, nursed me through 18 of my major surgeries, and I don't need a food tester for anything she cooks. Her cooking is the perfect blend of groceries and heaven. 

I'm a lucky guy, and apparently an ace recruiter able to spot pure natural ability when I see it. Oh sure, an earlier recruit was a bust, but it happens. This one is a National Champ, and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Even though after 20 years she has blown up to 119 pounds.

Happy Anniversary, Mrs. Tinman. Here's to 20 more.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments