Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Vodka suggestions -- updated***

0 HS
steve-OH's picture
January 26, 2016 at 2:58pm
122 Comments

So I realize that this forum is a heavy lean towards bourbon (nod to Ramzy) as I see a lot of discussion about that. However, that's not really my thing.

My wife and I rarely ever drink, but recently on vacation at an all inclusive took a liking to some vodka cocktails. She asked me to pick up some vodka and stuff on the way home tonight. I've never bought any before, just on vacation when it's all already included.

I am reading that the premium stuff is a waste if you're making a cocktail, because blind taste tests show that nobody can really discern the premium stuff from cheaper stuff when it is mixed. However, I'm also reading that cheap vodka can sometimes be bad news in the form of headaches and hangovers if it's the bottom shelf stuff.

So, for cocktails - what's your suggestion to buy? Also, if you have a simple vodka cocktail favorite recipe, I'd love to hear it. At this point, it's cranberry and screwdrivers, etc.

***Updated for you all, because I'm sure you had a sleepless night wondering what I chose and how it worked out. I went to the local ABC Store (only state run liquor stores here in NC can sell liquor) last night. Ended up picking up a bottle of Absolut for $19. Tito's was available, but was $3 more and Ketel 1 was my other muse but it was $10 more. Made some Madras last night for the wife and I, and tasted great. Simpy Orange, cranberry juice and I'm guessing about 2 oz Absolut. 

Once we finish off the Absolut, I'm planning to try another brand. Thanks for the help everyone!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 122 Comments