Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

John Entwistle birthday today - TIMH

0 HS
John Cooper's lucky pig's picture
October 9, 2015 at 9:43am
24 Comments

John Entwistle was born in London today in 1944. Some guy named Lennon was also born on this day in Liverpool but you’ve probably never heard of him.

If John Entwistle were ever to appear as a question on the SAT test, it would look something like this – Entwistle:bass::Hendrix:guitar.

As the bass player for The Who, Entwistle was half of one of the greatest rhythm sections ever put on wax. He more than held his own with Keith Moon in regard to both music and debauchery. Nicknamed “The Ox”, Entwistle’s appetite for all that life could offer ultimately would be his undoing. He was found dead in Las Vegas in 2002 after a night filled with strippers and cocaine. He was 58 years old when he died.

The nickname I prefer to remember him by is “Thunderfingers” because of his ferocious playing style. He is revered among modern bass players and earned the respect of his peers. Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones described him as “the loudest man on stage”. Lemmy from Motorhead had this to say, “Well, as a bass player my idol was always John Entwistle from the Who, and he had this tone too if you remember. A little bit deeper, but still very much the same. They were one of the best bands I have ever heard in my life.”

Here is the first song Entwistle wrote and sang on with The Who, “Boris the Spider” off of the 1966 album “A Quick One”:

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments