Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

What's The Right Way To Leave a New Job?

0 HS
brandonbauer87's picture
September 29, 2015 at 6:45pm
94 Comments

Alright dudes, I come to a bunch of strangers for advice. I'm a Master Honda Auto Technician. I felt like I was being taken advantage of at my previous employer, so I set out on a job search. I even explored possibilities in other professions. After feeling like I wasn't going to be getting a job I applied for with a utility, I stopped into my local Honda dealer.

I had been driving 45 minutes to another Honda dealer, and decided a move closer to home would lift my spirits. Master level technicians are in short supply, so they jumped at my inquiry. They offered me a nice little hourly wage bump, and I countered with an even nicer bump. They accepted. In my profession, you work what is called flat rate. That basically means each job pays a certain amount of hours. If the job pays 3 hours, it doesn't matter if it takes you 1 or 5 hours to complete, you get paid 3. They showed me the average hours of the guy I was set to replace. Everything looked great on paper. 

I'm rambling, so I'll try to shorten this up. I've been at the new job almost 5 weeks. The hours from the previous guy were possible because he worked nearly 80 hours per week. A fact I wasn't informed of. Even with my nice new hourly raise, I'm making less money. My previous job countered with an even nicer raise as I was on my way out the door, but I declined on principle. Their offer still stands, and they've made that abundantly clear to me daily since I've left. I'm going to be returning to my previous job. Not just for the money, but for almost every other reason, as well  

The reason I tell this story is to get your opinions on how to leave my new job. A two week notice gives me two more miserable weeks at a job I started 5 weeks ago. I'm not the kind of guy who takes his ball and goes home. I was thinking of giving a one week notice, but I'm just not sure. Considering I was misled into accepting the new job, I don't have a ton of warm, fuzzy feelings for my new employer. If you made it this far through my nonsense, thanks. I'm just not sure what the proper way is to handle a situation like this.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 94 Comments