Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Lessons learned through 6 months of fatherhood

0 HS
jeremytwoface's picture
September 23, 2015 at 12:41pm
93 Comments

My baby girl is going to be 6 months old tomorrow.

I haven't been as active on this site as I usually am (partly because of the aforementioned Baby Twoface and partly because I started a new job). So I figured I would provide an update and give some life lessons I've learned over the past 6 months. Maybe this will help some of you first-time dads out there, maybe you don't care. Either way, this will probably be a long post so I'm going to apologize beforehand.

Life Lessons

1. Patience, patience, patience - This is by far the hardest thing I've had to deal with. I'm not a very patient person in general and it really shows when trying to deal with a baby. I honestly feel like I've developed an anger problem sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten so insanely frustrated because my little one was screaming and I couldn't make her feel better (especially in the middle of the night). I have to remind myself that she can't tell me what's wrong and me getting angry will NOT help anything. Remembering to be patient will get you through a lot of sleepless nights.

2. Patience (again) - Because it's THAT important.

3. Don't be afraid of embarrassing yourself - Whether you're terrible at changing diapers, you aren't sure how to use one of those confusing swaddling blankets or you're making funny faces and talking in a high voice to your little one while you're in the grocery store and someone notices you and laughs. Don't be embarrassed by any of it. People won't think you're any less of a man if you don't know how to do something or you're making funny faces to try to get your baby to smile at you. And if they DO think that, they're an asshole... seriously. Being a father is amazing. Own it.

4. Try to savor every little moment - Things go quickly. People aren't lying when they say "they grow up so fast"... It's true. Take the time to appreciate big things AND little things because before you know it, they are 6 months old and you're left wondering what happened in those past 6 months. Then, before you know it, they are a year old and then two years old and so on. Take lots of pictures. Enjoy the small victories.

5. Take some time for yourself - If at all possible, try to get a baby sitter at least a couple times a month and enjoy some alone time with just you and your significant other. Babies can be totally overwhelming. And the value of time away from the little one will increase as time goes by. Try to find time to decompress every once and a while. Even if that means just spending the night at home and relaxing with the Mrs without the baby.

6. DON'T MESS UP! (j/k, you totally will and that's fine) - Mistakes will happen. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just learn from it and try not to do it again (you will probably do it again).

7. Go Bucks; Michigan sucks - It's never to early to teach your child to love the Buckeyes and hate That Team Up North. One of the first things I did with B2F was sit down and watch the National Championship Game again with her. 

That's about it... Obviously there's more to being a dad than what I said but these were the most important things I've learned. If anyone wants to add anything, feel free.

Anyway, here's a before and after featuring Miss Baby Twoface - One from the hospital and the most recent one from today (she's eating ravioli).

Have a good day peeps.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 93 Comments