Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Maurice Clarett, Once A Troubled Star Football Player, Is Now The 'Athlete Whisperer'

0 HS
Defiance's picture
August 27, 2015 at 12:43pm
10 Comments

The Huffington Post has a nice write up this morning on Maurice Clarett and how he has turned things around after a rough patch during and after his time @ tOSU. I've often heard it said that it's not a mistake the first time, it's a learning experience and this Buckeye thinks Maurice has gotten the lesson on this one. Best part of this story is how he's using his experience to help those that are coming up now.

Here's your short read:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Maurice Clarett needs a volunteer.

Standing in an auditorium inside Doak Campbell Stadium, Clarett is concluding an hour-long presentation to Florida State's football team. He summons a player to the front and asks him to describe two things: a real man and a real n---a.

Clarett went through the same exercise as an inmate at Toledo Correctional Institution, where he served 42 months for aggravated robbery.

"I joked and talked more about what it was to be a real n---a and a gangsta than a man," Clarett recalls.

Clarett's case manager, Kenneth Rupert, told him he should be embarrassed.

"He said, 'Maurice, you don't know integrity, responsibility, accountability. All these characteristics are what make a man. How do you expect to function?'" Clarett says. "I have sex with women, I piss in the toilet, I play football, but I have no understanding of what it takes to be a man."

It hits on Clarett's central theme to the Seminoles: Without personal development, the biggest and strongest men often remain lost boys.

Here's the link for the full read:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13509897/how-former-ohio-state-star-maurice-clarett-became-accidental-athlete-whisperer

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments