Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Computer Savvy?

0 HS
Seabass1974's picture
June 4, 2015 at 2:48pm
27 Comments

I consider myself pretty good when it comes to computer hardware so I'm at about a 75%-85% sureness rate of what is wrong with my computer but I just wanted to get some opinions before I spend some money on a new computer part.

Lots of weirdness going on with the computer screen(most likely not the monitor due to testing), lots of strange fractals and pixelation. Sometimes I can fix it by doing a reboot but it can take a few times for it to work. As of right now, I can only get it to run consistently at a 1280 x 1024 (I usually ran it at 1920 x 1080 but eventually screws up). Just ran a recent reboot/troubleshooter and the max res is now 1280 x 1024 without a possibility of raising it higher. Runs fine in safe mode but obviously with the lower resolution. Whenever I return it to the higher or even on restart I get the strange pixelation/fracturing (I think this is because it's natural resolution is 1920 x 1080).

In conclusion, I think it's the video card but I wanted to get my sureness rate to about 95% before I spent money on a new video card.

P.S. The system is getting pretty old, 4 years, so it makes sense that things would start to go wrong but I always try to get about 5 years out of these things. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

P.P.S. Also I would love to hear some suggestions on a video card that will just need to get me through a year before a completely new system.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments