Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Hawaii Buckeye Nation?

chitown buckeye's picture
August 28, 2014 at 8:00am
9 Comments

I know Buckeye Nation is everywhere and I am calling on you for advice. I will be out in Maui for "The Game" this November. (I know tough problem, right) I know there was a thread on the old site discussing Hawaii but it obviously didn't carry over to the new site. Where or is there a great place to watch OSU football on the island of Maui? Obviously, the game is going to be crazy early (6am if I got my time change right) out there but was curious if any of our fellow 11dubbers have watched games in Hawaii? Any advice or recommendations of good spots would be great!

Gametime's picture

Morning Chi-Buck, well Maui is awesome (my wife grew up in Oahu), and there actually is an official Ohio State Alumni Club there, but as you can imagine it's in Honolulu. Now I don't know what your travel arrangements are like, but it's not too terribly expensive to island hop as the OSU Alumni Club gathers at Giovanni Pastrami to watch games. There's also a contact on that site for a gal who organize things for you to make arrangements. 

Now ironically, I came across this list of places from a fan of TTUN on a golf page, but if you must stay in Maui, I'm sure these places will probably do the trick!

*And The Game would kick off at 7am BTW!*

Hope you have fun and good luck!

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+1 HS

Great info, Gametime! I am actually going to be out there for a wedding on the Saturday of the game so I am not sure I could island hop over and back in time for the ceremony. However, The wife and I  will be there for the Indiana game previous week as well so maybe I can work that trip out.  Great find on the list of bars! I will definitely be calling around to see if any will be carrying games.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+1 HS
Butch_Driveshaft's picture

That is a good problem to have, all things considered. I was out there in 2006 during the Cincinnati and Penn State games. I caught highlights of both games, we were in Wailea at the Marriott and there aren't a lot of bars in that area. Kihei has a lot of shopping and restaurants, so I'd assume you could find some place there. Or Lahaina, Kaanapali seem to have more touristy areas. I think the Hard Rock is in Lahaina? Either way, you'll be in frickin' Maui in November.

He owes me 260 bucks vacation pay, and he won't fuckin' pay that, so I figured a handful of chips wasn't too much to ask.

+1 HS

Yeah, looking forward to the trip. Certainly with the games so early, I'm not as "upset" about this wedding as there is plenty of time to enjoy both! We are finalizing the plans and wanted to reach out to others who have watched sporting events out there to make sure I get my football on the itinerary!! Thanks for the response.

Habu71's picture

Man I love this site!

Enjoy the trip, Chitown. I had the opportunity to watch Super Bowl XL with Waikiki Beach at my back. Since I had no rooting interest in the game (Sterlers vs Seahawks) I wasn't as locked in on the game as usual. The scenery around me made that not a bad thing at all. I'm guessing that watching The Game in that atmosphere might be as close to the perfect sports moment as I could get. Insert extreme jealousy right here! I hope you get to celebrate a huge Buckeye victory. 

+1 HS

That is the scene I have in my head if possible!

+1 HS
M1CAH4's picture

hey chitown! I am coming there to work construction this winter probably around the same time. I'll be mostly in Honolulu but sometimes Maui starting this november till possibly april ill be there. So if you dont mind i may PM you and we could meet up at a bar for a game man. 

+1 HS

Yeah, for sure, always love meeting Buckeyes!

Zimmy09's picture

I live down here in Honolulu and there is a pretty big gathering down in Waikiki but I don't think there is anything like that in Maui.  I was on vacation to Maui in 2010 and had to watch "the Game" from my hotel room.  And as they mentioned above it will be 7 am (or 1030) start time by then but your math was right, it is 6 am start times now until DST.  

+1 HS