Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

DJ Byrnes, bloggers favorite whipping boy!

Squirrel Master's picture
July 30, 2014 at 11:28am
196 Comments

I'm an avid commentor on this site.(no, no, seriously I tend to visit here often) I haven't been on too much lately because I have a lot going on with family, work and general busy crap.

So I read today's Skull Session and the connected links to yesterday's Skull Session and I'm somewhat taken aback by how some commentors, not just trolls, really lay into DJ for the work he does EVERY MORNING!

I don't always agree with DJ's opinions and statements but I also understand that he is a hard working guy........on a FREEEEEEEEEEEE BLOG SITE!

If you all want Walter Fucking Cronkite, go pay some struggling magazine with overpaid journalists a nice monthly premium fee to read their shit! If you want to read something that has more editing time than a cat's left nut rotating to the right, go to ESPN! You can read their mindless drivel! DJ has less than 12 hours to write the SS so they post in time for you to catch it before your morning self mutilation session! Sometimes I am impressed on what he can find, sometimes I see he had trouble. I just don't come on expecting a Pulitzer winning piece every damn fucking morning!

So I put it to my fellow DoubleOneDoubleU commentors and ask,

Are you willing and able to write the morning Skull Sessions knowing full well that you will get criticize and nit picked everything you say, five days a week for a FREE BLOG SITE? Because I'm sure as hell not!

So here's to DJ for the effort he puts out for us to have at least something to distract us every morning, even if it is "mildly amusing garbage". Some of us understand that we aren't coming on here because of the quality, we come on here because we are a community bound by one awesome love! (trust me, there isn't much quality in the forums either)

that's right, I said it! Bring it on.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+86 HS
ohiowhitesnake's picture

Now is when I miss up voting forum topics! Well said Sir! You just went all Nasty Nate on the haters

+5 HS
bodast67's picture

" I hope when I die, I die laughing"...                

+9 HS
Rob Reese's picture
+1 HS
The Butler's picture

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+8 HS
KevinJ's picture

Anytime this GIF gets posted, auto upvote from me

+2 HS
The Butler's picture

Same thing goes for everyone in the office

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Well said...

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+11 HS
UrbanCulture's picture
+15 HS
Urban Nation Army's picture

bound by one awesome love! 

One love, indeed

http://www.raisingcanes.com/content/one-love 

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+7 HS

okay, two loves!

+5 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

And of course, it took a squirrel to point out the nuances of a "cat's left nut rotating to the right".

I tried to picture how that would work, and gave up in frustration.

I wasn't even aware cats actually had nuts...sigh.

Well done, sir.

+2 HS
WC Buckeye's picture

How can anyone actually argue with such a finely articulated point? Well put. I personally love DJ's gonzo writing, as I am sure many others do. He's a hidden gem.

The only thing that's new in the world is the history that we have forgotten.

+8 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I think there needs to be a special forum specifically for 11warriors love making. A few pop up each week celebrating either an individual writer or the site as a whole, might as well have its own section. 

+7 HS
Earle's picture

E-lovin' Warriors.

Italics are for emphasis.

+33 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I've noticed an influx of lovey posts today.... Let's all hug it out.

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

I appreciate the closed captioning for the picture impaired.  Too bad all you people don't get to see what I see, suckers!

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture
Red X

+4 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

That's some meta E-lovin'

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+3 HS

Well I wouldn't say I was showering DJ with compliments. lol

I just think sometimes people go overboard about a free blog site's morning writer. I mean, its a FREE blog site. We all should be happy he just doesn't post links and blurbs from other sites with nothing added. If you want that, there are plenty of those. You can go on ESPN's recruiting nation and see their lunch links.

+10 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I thoroughly enjoy DJ ss writing. I look forward to it every morning. This is an awesome site. Keep up the good work DJ.

+6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Love DJ's stuff. Fuck the haters. His #HotTakes and NSFW #Bangers are the only things that get me through the workweek.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+16 HS

The NSFW #bangers are pretty awesome!

+3 HS
shortbus20's picture

DJ has great links in his articles, usually ones you will not see any where else.

• shortbus20
+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

This post has that snap and bite that DJ pens most of his work with.

Agree with the sentiment but I'd say it is generally a small number of the commentariat that you are addressing.

Overall, I think DJ knows the greater amount of dubteers seriously appreciate his efforts and time that he puts into the site.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+12 HS

just in case, I am absolutely not another account by DJ.

+17 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

That's exactly what DJ would say. I'm not convinced, what are your opinions on Warren G. Harding?

+20 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I agree PItt but I'm not sure I can handle anymore 11w deception after the Uncle 9er scandal...

It may be willful negligence but for now, DJ is DJ and SM is SM...mutually exclusive!

+3 HS
Habu71's picture

Well said SM, a nice dose of perspective. Some of us are more knowledgable (or seem like it) thanks in part to the effort put forth on this site. A tip of the cap to DJ, as well as those others that labor behind the scenes to little or no fanfare. Stay strong, stay thick skinned, and know that some greatly appreciate it. 

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Is this a compliment or....?

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think it's more a call for appreciation for the work DJ puts in than it is a compliment. 

+5 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

You know I didn't like DJ at first either, but I feel it takes time to adjust to him, calibrate to him might be a better term for it.

I hated Luke and Johnny for awhile at the beginning too, much similar reasons, you had to adjust to their style and satire or internet lingo in Luke's case. I once, not so nicely told Luke I hated his articles and later apologized after I "calibrated."

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+5 HS
Kindell's picture

I go into work, grab some coffee, and open up the skull session.  I think it's well though-out and very funny.  If I didn't and somehow was offended by content on the internet.  I would just not click on the link and read it.  I guess doing that though wouldn't get any attention.

+3 HS
kmp10's picture

I've never in my life consistently read the opinion's of someone with whom I disagree more than DJ Byrnes… never. He says 'black' and I think 'white'. We are diametrically opposed on so many issues I can't even begin to count; the Jon Waters firing fiasco being the latest issue on which I vehemently disagree with Byrnes. I could go on and on. I live in UA, own a Corvette and despise soccer. All thing's DJ loves or loves to hate (what red blooded American man doesn't love Corvettes? The soccer loving kind I suppose). Having said all of this, I have to say I appreciate the effort that goes into his daily skull sessions, and I wish I had his talent and wit. I'll finish with this; I start every morning with the Eleven Warriors skully… I guess that says it all.

+15 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

This post has a leave Britney alone vibe

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+16 HS

do I come off that whiny?

I'll be back, I have to go bench press a Buick!

+8 HS

Well to be fair, any time any defends anyone else on the internet, that's what I think.

sharks's picture

Meh, its all good natured. My only angle to crack on him is that he's from West Virg- I mean Marion.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+6 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Having spent plenty of time in both areas I can confirm that Marion is nothing remotely close to West by God Virginia. 

+8 HS
sharks's picture

Stop ruining my geographical generalizations. I meant Mississippi anyway

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+12 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Having never spent time in Mississippi really I can't argue with that, but I didn't think they were into crystal so much there, plus it's hot.

+4 HS
sharks's picture

Pittsburgh?

+4 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Haha nope, see everyone from Pittsburgh thinks that because they've never been anywhere else that Pittsburgh is the greatest city in all the land. Everyone from Marion accepts that it's a hell hole, but they love it because it's their hell hole.

+4 HS
sharks's picture

You've reduced me to tears. I hope you're happy.

Marion = Elyria

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I can roll with Elyria.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I always just get it confused with Marysville.

Furious George 27's picture

The Skull Session is the only reason why I get up in the morning...... That and work.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+9 HS
Page Turner's picture

Having resided in tsun for the last two decades, I appreciate the insight and the scoop.  I dare say not one of us agrees with his spouse 100% of the time.  Plus I really enjoy the tidbits that contribute to even more discomfort for the folks at ann arbor community college.

If you can't be a Buckeye, it's good to know one - Carpe Diem

+3 HS

Well, I've never agreed with DJ's spouse.

+1 HS
81Alum's picture

I hardly ever comment on this site any more, but logged in just to say "Hear, Hear". Well said! The guys at 11W do much better than any sports channel or magazine out there...and in their spare time, for free. They deserve to be appreciated, and I for one do.

+8 HS
MacG91's picture

Thanks for posting this SM, It really irked me that some people would criticize his work every morning. 

Mac..yeah

+3 HS
Borrowed Time's picture

I love DJ. And his writing.

+2 HS

Well now we know the identity of one of DJs sock puppets.

+11 HS

nah, I live in Louisville Kentucky. We are absolutely better than Marion Ohio.

+6 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Don't let DJ read that

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
kyo's picture

It's true. Marion would be more comparable to the hollers of eastern KY. 

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I feel like Marion is fairly similar to Bowling Green KY. Rampant illegal aliens, crumbling industry (with the exception of the Corvette factory), and a big heroin and meth problem. And it's about an hour or so away from an awesome city.

-The Aristocrats!

ODEEZ330's picture

I read his skully every morning using the pot before work. I enjoy it thoroughly even though i think he's way off on some topics. Go dj

O'Deez330
stark county football

+5 HS
BuckeyeVet's picture

TMI, TMI.......

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."          - Groucho Marx

+2 HS
rosenbuck's picture

You're thinking of the wrong pot.

Oldschoolbuck's picture

I thought Odeez said he was using pot every morning... ooops!

+1 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

Beat me by 58 seconds Southernstates!

Yeah, I sometimes read his stuff too while on pot...

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

On the plus side I think the hate is one his favorite things about his writing. I never noticed he got that much crap, aside from grammar which is usually all in good fun. 

I mean if any staff member is worth hating on it's Jordan (the man doesn't like bacon come on)

+3 HS
Unky Buck's picture

the man doesn't like bacon

Commie! Commie! Trader to our country!

+5 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

It's rare when I actually lol at this site, usually it's a smirk, that got a giggle though. A manly giggle of course.

+2 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

I've never understood why people even hate on DJ's skullys.  His jokes and writing are above par and the topics always hit necessary points.  My favorite Skull Session writer by far.

I will say, however, that I sometimes do miss when the guys used to rotate who wrote the morning Skull Sessions.  It was fun to not read the author at the beginning and be able to figure out who it was base on writing style alone.

+9 HS
WC Buckeye's picture

Agreed. I'll even go so far as to say that I miss the amusing footnotes.

The only thing that's new in the world is the history that we have forgotten.

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Sarah!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I think I relate more to DJ then some of the other writers here. The criticism has increased along with the complaining about everything around here. I see a lot more of the uppity, looking down noses, I am better and smarter then you shit going on. I personally can do without the arrogant snobbish bullshit. People tend to forget they are in a sports bar enviroment and not sitting in a courtroom or in on a City counsel meeting. I mean its one thing to rip on a fellow 11warrior  for misspelling a word but its a whole other level when you take the time to criticize a free fucking article you read and didnt agree with. Keep your snobby no backbone opinions to yourself or I have a feeling you will be seeing the squirrel master the next time you hop in that ymca shower.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
Idaho Helga's picture

Well put.  The whining around here has picked up, there is a lot of pokin' each other in the eye lately.  I love the sports bar analogy.  Do I like some of the babe gif's I see, especially since I look at this from work on weekdays?  No.  Do I complain about them?   No.  (er, I guess I just did but you get my point)

This is the internet folks, it's free and if you don't like something/someone just move on.

DJ's writing has improved over time and I really enjoy it.  I can also relate to him. Raised in the south end of Columbus, if he thinks Marion is bad, yikes I won't even drive through my old neighborhood anymore...

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

As someone who works in Marion, I relate to where he's coming from. 

+7 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

probably wouldnt be advertising youre a heroin dealer on eleven warriors dot com, brandon.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

osu07asu10's picture

probably wouldnt be advertising youre a heroin dealer on eleven warriors dot com, brandon.

Timeless, Quintessential DJ.

+8 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Internet anonymity, right? 

+4 HS
Earle's picture

That's what 9Route thought.

+18 HS

I've seen you post more about 9route the last few days than DJ has made Marion jokes

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Hmmm. What do you make of that?

+2 HS

You are 9route.

...or something, I don't really keep track of the users on here. I don't remember him/her/it

Earle's picture

9er reached out to me as his house of cards was tumbling down.  In exchange for keeping the legend of 9Route alive, he gives me helmet stickers from one of his undiscovered accounts.  I am now contractually obligated to mention him at least twice a day.

+12 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I see he got desperate after I turned down his offer to mention him three times a day. 

+1 HS
Earle's picture

He also promised to feed me insider recruiting info, so I figured it was a pretty good deal.

+7 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Ha! Suckers...I get my helmet stickers straight from KateUptonsLowerBack. No strings attached.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+3 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture

The entertainment value that DJ brings is priceless, and we all have been saying, it's one frickin' great community.

"I don't apologize for anything.  When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
blocko330's picture

Here Here!

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

thank you all for the kind (and not so kind words). i am just a humble man with a warped (mod edit) and a wifi connection who is lucky enough to make some ravioli money doing what i love.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I'm guessing the wifi connection came before the warped penis?

+35 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

It always does...

+13 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Not true at all, long before WiFi there were dirty magazines.

+4 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Best comment I've read all week. +1

How Firm Thy Friendship

+3 HS

Hey, just because I respect you doesn't mean I have to be kind about it!

and the morning self mutilation session might be the cause of the warped unit!

+5 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

On the bright side, ravioli money is better than Ramen money.  

+6 HS
Boxley's picture

So sayeth yet another Marionaire. AS if Chef Boyardee is better than Chun-kwan Ramen noodler soupeth.

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

As the saying goes, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they normally stink." I don't always agree with what DJ says, but his Skullys are always entertaining, and isn't that why all 17,000+ of us come to this particular website? Entertainment mixed with love for our favorite sports teams? I'll never understand people that have to be internet bullies and do nothing but complain, and more so when they complain about a free service. A service which DJ painstakingly loves and bleeds for. Could you imagine coming up with a story 5 days a week for 52 weeks? Try it. I'll bet my house that any of the users on this site couldn't put together a better blog to enjoy with your morning cup of joe for a month, let alone everyday for months on end.

-The Aristocrats!

+7 HS
jedkat's picture

you mean to tell me the saying isn't "opinions are like assholes, you really have to pound yours home"?

Well I'll be, that explains a lot...

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+2 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

What (or where), exactly is being "pound(ed) home"...?

Chief B1G Dump's picture

I thought for sure that it's "opinions are like assholes, you just gotta find the right one. "

MordenoftheSith's picture

I'll bet my house that any of the users on this site couldn't put together a better blog to enjoy with your morning cup of joe for a month, let alone everyday for months on end.

You barely own your car, let alone a house.  Stop trying to get a freebie...

If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Atleast I own my balls and they aren't in my wife's purse.Hey-oooooooooooooooo. And you can tell Michelle I said that too. It may be the 2nd thing that she's ever agreed on with me.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS

Your ex-wives never returned yours.  You're on borrowed balls, my friend.

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Correction, They have my money, but my balls are still armed and dangerous.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
Earle's picture

That is one really weird metaphor.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Thanks Earle

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS

The CSEA knows this, as well as half of the East side. You should file as a non-profit charity... for the tax break.

+1 HS
GoBucks713's picture

I would love that. Too bad that would just mean that instead of the money going to the government, it would go to my kids, which would be a better option for them.

-The Aristocrats!

+1 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

The problem with DJ is that he agrees with his opinions, even when they're not wrong.

+6 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

First off, DJ's a big boy and can defend himself.

Secondly, I don't care that he has an opinion but I do care when he denigrates differing opinions. Think college players' unions or Jon Waters. He repeatedly comes across as though his opinion is the only correct one. It's one thing for an 11w staffer to offer their opinion and then ask the 11w community for theirs because that's what stirs debate. It's something quite different for them to essentially tell us that their opinion is the correct one.

Like it or not, he does have a greater responsibility than the average poster does.

+6 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Are you going to pay his salary to write the way you want?  And DJs comments of his opinion are to entice conversation anyway, IMO. 

+4 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

He's wrong about Waters. He's right about Unions. It's all good. Everyone hear still gets to speak their mind.

HotSauceCommittee's picture

I dont get people who willingly log onto a website, take time to read the website and then take the time to complain about it. It is like waiting in line to buy something you hate, then complaining about it. Why do it to yourself bro? Their is lots to offer on 11W. If you dont like DJ's style look elsewhere. I appreciate the pop-culture references, the wankster style slang and the throwback catch phrases. If I didnt, I probably wouldnt read DJ's skull sessions and I certainly wouldnt read them just to offer negative opinions. 

+11 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

HotSauce, I think I get it. I like 11w but if I see a problem (like a staffer telling the 11w community what to think on an issue) I shouldn't voice it.

I see your point as well. My comment, although replied to you, was more of an overall opinion about the topic, not a specific indictment of you. Sorry if you took it that way.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS

I'm sorry, what is that responsibility? I don't recall him agreeing to be anything more than a blogger on a free site.

and its one thing to differ in opinion on subject matter, its another to just straight out ridicule his work because you have a higher opinion of who should write for a FREE WEBSITE!

+3 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

Squirrel, I said nothing about who should write for this site. Look, I get it. There are alot of people on here who want to be told how to think. I'm not one of them.

If DJ would like to learn how to convey his opinions without being a dick about it, I encourage him to start reading Ramzy.

-3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Bud Light commercials always tell me that it's the perfect beer for whatever happens.

I just ignore it and drink something that doesn't taste like watered down urine.

If you don't understand the metaphor, I'm trying to tell you what everyone else is trying to tell you. If you don't like a product, don't use it. If you don't like someone telling you what to think, don't listen to them.

+15 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

Jeremy, I understood you perfectly.

I encourage you to follow your own advice. It's a free site. I am free to voice concerns. No one requires you to read what I post.

For as hard as it might be for you to believe, I'm actually trying to make the site better by voicing my concerns. I apologize for not being a sheep and mindlessly thinking what DJ tells me to think on subjects.

+9 HS
Poison nuts's picture

The funny thing is Jeremy, I actually like ice cold urine. That's not a euphemism for Bud Light. I drink piss! Weird huh?

Anyway, I like to read all the stuff here. Thanks 11W writers & commenters. Love you guys.

+1 HS

11W doesn't revolve around you Sarasota. This topic could possibly be about someone else.

show me one person on here who "want to be told how to think". You act like you are some fucking rebel to a communist society. Its a blog site, not fucking Russia! Share your opinion, I haven't seen anyone stop you yet (unless you violated a website rule). but don't act like we all fall in line and you refuse! that is the dumbest statement. Holy Shit, who are you? GANDHI! Nobody on here is forcing you to type words you don't want to type! Where is the gun to your head!

and you think DJ is being a dick about his opinion, many of us understand he is writing based on his opinion in a limited amount of time. Many of US understand that this is a FUCKING FREE BLOG SITE! and DJ has every right to provide his opinion just as much as you do. You don't agree with it, then you are just the same as everyone you point the finger at for the same reason. Every time you feel you need to get on here and express how you disagree with DJ, you are perpetrating the exact thing you have issue with.

If you want a choice cut of Filet Mignon, you go to Ruth's Chris. If you want free food, you go to a homeless shelter. BUT DON'T GO INTO A A HOMELESS SHELTER LOOKING FOR FREE FOOD AND SAY ITS SHIT BECAUSE YOU EXPECTED FILET MIGNON!

If you want a better writer than DJ, step up! or pony up the annual salary to afford one of the overpaid writers you would prefer! OR EVEN BETTER, GO ASK RAMSY TO WRITE THE SKULL SESSION FIVE DAYS A WEEK IF YOU LIKE HIM SO MUCH! I'm curious if he will say fuck off or just no thanks!

and stop bitching about FREE BLOGGING! You have every right to have a differing opinion and we have every right to have a differing opinion to your differing opinion. If you have an issue with our desire to "not think like YOU", then the metaphorical door is right over there!

This constant outcry about you not being able to share your opinion without someone disagreeing with you is ludicrous. We get it, you are oppressed! on a FREE WEBSITE! 

edit: and you never thought YOUR opinion was the correct one? you always thought your opinions are the wrong one? that is laughable.

+6 HS

Well, I for one would like to be told what to think about all this.

I'm so confused.

+9 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

People might be a little more receptive to your opine of you stop shouting vulgarities at them. Dont be that guy - who has to be more profane & shout over someone to voice an opinion. It IS a free website - and there are a bunch of kids who visit here regularly - including my 15 & 17 yr old.

Not sure also what relevance to this being a FREE WEBSITE has to do with your point - I go to both types - and when I read an editorial - it is open to a difference of opinion. Based upon your notion - because we don't pay anything here we cannot be invested in it's content. DJ writes at times controversially - which tells me he likes to get a little dialog going from time to time - I think he can defend himself. As for DJ - I read EVERYDAY without exception - & find myself at about 50/50 on his opinions - but all interesting.

+4 HS

You do have a point, I should watch my language. I do apologize for that.

+2 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

its all good Squirrel!

FUCKING FREE BLOG SITE

You keep screaming that as if it means something.

D.J. is an employee of Eleven Warriors LLC.

When your wife/child/creepy neighbor sitting on your couch makes a critical comment while watching an Ohio State game on ABC do you jump up and start ranting "FREE TV! IT'S FREE TV!" ?

Eleven Warriors isn't a couple of dudes talking about their day on a homemade WordPress/Blogger site. It's a for profit company that supports itself through advertising sales and DJ is a professional writing for a paycheck. He's not providing his time for free out of the goodness of his heart.

If DJ's writing generates controversy then he's doing his job correctly. Getting under people's skin & creating debate is a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.

+7 HS

I think you totally missed the point. in the OP, I say its FREE because to have expectations for quality and being rude about it is absolutely ridiculous. Having issue with DJ because he isn't up to your standards on a FREE site that you clicked on is the fault of the visitor. Not the fault of the author.
And seriously, Ohio State games aren't free. And my wife/child/creepy neighbor(?) Don't have to watch the game either. I myself might criticize the telecast but instead of calling up ABC and bitching about it, I just simply mute the TV or decide to turn the TV off. DJ isn't held to a scale of quality that must be satisfactory of the public. It is FREE, quality isn't required. Much like my food analogy.
Which goes to my other point of FREE website, Sarasota has the freedom to NOT comment or the freedom TO comment. Nobody is forcing their thinking on him because there is no force. The almighty word isnt a true roadblock to Sarasota's oppressed opinions. DJ might be steadfast in his opinion and might make declarative statements, doesn't mean Sarasota has to follow his instruction. Sarasota could still voice his opinion without consequence. Hence, FREE WEBSITE!

-2 HS

I think you totally missed the point.

in the OP, I say its FREE because to have expectations for quality and being rude about it is absolutely ridiculous. Having issue with DJ because he isn't up to your standards on a FREE site that you clicked on is the fault of the visitor. Not the fault of the author.

And seriously, Ohio State games aren't free

I didn't miss your point, I disagree with it.

Ohio State games (on over the air broadcasts) are every bit as free as this website...which is to say neither is free at all. Whenever you, your parents or your grandparents were watching Walter Cronkite on CBS in the days before cable they were paying just as much to listen to his pontifications as you are to read DJs. Eleven Warriors utilizes the exact same business model as the days of network television. Just because you aren't paying the bills, doesn't mean there aren't bills (and paychecks) being paid. 11W is no more free than CBS was.

Ultimately my biggest problem with your argument is that it is more dismissive of DJ and his contributions than the harshest critic could ever be. What it comes down to is that you are saying his work is beneath criticism because it offers little or no value.

no, I am saying his work is on par with what should be written on a free website. If I paid for it, then I would have every right to criticize that what I paid for isn't up to the standards of what I expected. To criticize something that is free, as if you are paying for it, is the problem.

okay, sorry you don't directly pay for Ohio State games. Many do though. It's called the B1G Network and the sports package if you don't live in Columbus Ohio. I pay directly for most of my OSU watching unless its night games on prime time. And despite whether I pay for it or not, even as a free product I still have choices. Yes, I can criticize OSU football and Walter Cronkite. And just like how I feel about this site, I think you have a choice to not watch OSU football or Walter Cronkite. Everyone is free to criticize, to complain as if you have no choice but to criticize is absurd.

And I am saying DJ's work is on par for what I expect for a free site, that doesn't mean I am being dismissive of it. I absolutely respect DJ's work whether I agree with it or not, I highly doubt that is worse than someone calling it garbage. I'm saying his work is beneath criticism? please do tell because I believe I said his work shouldn't be criticize as if it were being held to the same value of Hunter S. Thompson or....Walter Cronkite. I don't think I said anything disparaging towards DJ's writing. All I said is sometimes I don't agree with what he writes and sometimes I feel he has struggled to find topics that are meaningful to a buckeye forum. I have never said anything towards the quality of his work, just that it is wrong to expect more than it is.

I assume you like his work, do you come on every morning expecting a certain level of quality and if you don't get that you feel obliged to complain about it? I'm not talking about disagreeing with what he writes, I am talking about complaining about the quality because some recently have had a need to complain about quality. And I will point out again that DJ only has so much time to come up with material five days a week. I don't care about the grammar police or the updating editorial comments, but to ask for high quality in that situation is pretty ridiculous. I'm sure the first rough draft of many of our writings will have issues. So that is another reason why I don't expect DJ's quality to be held as if it were a column by a journalist that had the luxury of an editor and a week to write it. DJ puts out what he can with limited resources of a FREE website. If he had a crack team of researchers helping him, then I would have higher expectations. How is that being dismissive?

+1 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

There are a lot of people on here who want to be told how to think.

I really don't believe that is the case, Sarasota. Plus, it's mildly annoying - and somewhat arrogant - to claim that kind of omniscience about what others' motives/cognitive processes may be. Can there sometimes be a "hive mentality"? Perhaps. Should a blogger have strong opinions and engender debate? Of course! I haven't seen anyone's contrarian opinions shut down on here, though others (within their rights as the commenting community) may vehemently disagree.

+4 HS
sarasotabcg's picture

Squirrel, OldSchool, etc.. you guys are too damn funny.

just the other day DJ told us (I'm paraphrasing) that if a reader disagreed with his view they needed to log off and talk a walk around the block. Does that sound like he's open to viewpoints other than his own?

But please continue.....

+6 HS

We will miss you.

-2 HS

Does that mean you have to do what he said? The written word is force enough to keep you from sharing your opinion? Obviously not our you would have done as he said.

And yes I am emphasising that this is a FREE site. Despite this being a for profit company, I'm sure 11W can't afford a crack staff of highly paid journalists and editors for each article that is written on here. You get what you pay for. And paid for sites don't exactly give the best stories either, hence why many of us come here.

For those who feel so Oppressed by DJ and for those that feel they can't safely share their opinion on here without being persecuted by the mindless drones of the 11W proletariat, it IS a free website and you don't have to listen. There is no force keeping you from retorting as you please without penalty.
Its not like its costing you anything but, lol, helmet stickers.

BuckeyeLawyer's picture

I always think his comments such as that referenced are humorous. I also believe that, along with stirring up reaction for the sake of the site, is the intention of his writing. Am I wrong or just not overly sensitive enough?

+1 HS

(not sure if you are referring to me but I will comment. )

I don't think you are wrong. I think driving readers to the site however it takes is the ultimate goal. They are trying to make a profit.

my argument isn't about the disagreements and the controversy. just the readers who come on and believe that their expectations for a free blog site has been diminished and they feel a need to complain about it. Its not many, just a few, but obviously some feel I am including dissenters within my target. I believe everyone has a right to disagree, just like everyone has a right to disagree with those that disagree. Just don't say his work is garbage compared to what you expected it to be. like my analogy, don't walk into a shelter for free food and complain that its not up to your expectations of Ruth's Chris.

+1 HS
BuckeyeLawyer's picture

Sorry for the delay but I just saw your comment.  I actually was agreeing with you Squirrel so I just wanted to make that known.

Hovenaut's picture

Whasis?

We rally around the family, with a pocket full of gifs...

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+22 HS

Upvote for a Rage Against the Machine - Karate Kid combo reference/gif. You deserve more for this Hove.

+7 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Funny, seeing it in slow motion does prove that he started to take the early Jonny dive!

Go Bucks!

MN Buckeye's picture

I was puzzled what the fuss was about, since I typically read the skullys very early. The sh*t from BWH in yesterday's edition was over the line. I hope DJ will continue to (1) say what he thinks and (2) use his biting sarcasm and razor wit. So what if I don't always agree with him? He is a talented writer, and I respect his takes. From this thread, a lot of other people apparently think so as well.

+5 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Also, Everyone got an upvote since someone was nice enough to downvote Morden and mine's little brewhaha.

Upvote Emma Party!!

-The Aristocrats!

+6 HS

I'd give Emma my upvote, but I don't think she'd accept it....

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Yeah it's because she's mine... So back off.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Oh shit, sorry Jeremy.  I'll go get her up and send her home now.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Make sure you give her money for the cab.... I ain't made of money here.

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I will always circle the wagon for 11w commentariats

+5 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Is a blogger someone who writes a blog or someone who reads a blog? When I read the title of this thread, I was hoping a media blogger took a #hottake from a DJ Skull Session and used it to "embrace debate".

Instead, I will suggest that everyone do as I do: read through the WMD section and then stop. Nothing worthwhile lies below that on a Skull Session.

+3 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Just out of curiosity, when did 11W stop doing the rotating schedule for Skull Sessions? I remember Ramzy's in particular being pretty well done as well.

+1 HS
Nappy's picture

Think it was a few months back.  Although I do sometime miss Elika and Food Porn Fridays.

Fan of bacon since 1981

+5 HS
yrro's picture

Not the biggest fan of DJ's skull sessions, but I've never understood the point of writing comments every article just to piss on a guy's writing. If you don't like the skull sessions don't read them. If you don't like DJ, don't read his work. If you would like a change in authors for 11W in general, send private, respectful feedback to the staff saying that you don't like his writing as much. Don't be surprised if they ignore it.

I *do* consider every opinion a blogger posts something that can be debated and responded to in the comments, on the merits of the individual point. But engaging with someone's claims is very different from attacking them for writing.

+11 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

You write like a girl.

+5 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

LMAO, Run! This is what makes 11W awesome.

yrro's picture

凸 (`0´)凸

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I feel like a geezer because I can't figure out what those symbols are saying. Is that an emoticon?

yrro's picture

Ha, google says it's an emoticon for the Marcus Hall two-finger salute.. I  guess if you squint funny.

apack614's picture

Anyone that wakes up that early to post something to all of us criticizing assholes has my respect! Keep it up DJ!

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+6 HS
bedheadjc's picture

If you all want Walter Fucking Cronkite

annnnd there's your new tagline, DJ! "Not Walter Fucking Cronkite"

+13 HS

When I first came to this post my first thought was Michigan bloggers and commentors attacking DJ. I was about to go H.A.M. on some urine and blue fools. (I only used HAM because it was discussed yesterday)

Run_Fido_Run's picture

Things that guys consume large quantities of for free and then complain about:

• Advice from their mothers-in-law
  • Airbrushed images
  • Victoria Secret catalogs (see above)
  • Kids holiday pageants
  • The Columbus Dispatch
BuckeyeSouth's picture

If I knew how to post a pic of a beer I'd do it in this post because I think we all could use 1 right about now.  Somebody help a (computer illiterate) brother out.

Embrace it.

BuckeyeSouth's picture

Gave you an UV for the assist.

Embrace it.

+1 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

Upvote for you as well BedHead.  I'll have to ask my 13 year old how to do that myself when I get home from work.

Embrace it.

+1 HS
Denny's picture

I'm here for the taco information and DJ provides it so for that I say thx bb

Taquitos.

+3 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

The number of comments for this thread (and most Skully's) says it all. People love to read DJ's stuff, even if it's just to get bent out of shape. Keep up the good work.

+5 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

DJs writing is (almost) better than having an extra set of nuts!

The looney that twitter bashed him is a douche and is not representative of 99.9 % of us.  (and thats coming from someone that recently did disagree with him (re:Waters)).

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

For those that need a hint, see his name. (and yes, I know it can be used in 2 ways)

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

DJ is the shit. That's all I've got to say about that.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Here, here!

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

I chuckle at the grammar complaints the most. I seriously doubt anyone who busts DJ for comma splices has a Ph.D. in English and is flawless with their own grammar. As for his writing style, he must be doing something right to get reactions out of people. That's always the sign of good writing. I think everything he types is gold. Keep up the good work.

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+2 HS
osu407's picture

We are currently stuck in the most boring part of the sports season. I think the natives will be far less restless when the football season gets here.  

DJ's writing style is like the anti-Tressel-coach-speak; DJ tells you exactly what he thinks on any subject. 

+1 HS

Unfortunately, that isn't the case based on past history. Remember, there were thousands of Fire Fickell threads created during season with many differing opinions in the comments. It only gets worse. This is kind of mild.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I love reading DJ too. However, DJ likes the back and forth. He doesn't need protecting like some defenseless rabbit. He writes provocatively and elicits response. 

Uh, squirrel. And mainly I wasn't so much defending DJ as much as I was pointing out that writing these skull sessions five days a week to us isn't exactly writing for the NY times. Having Expectations of quality is pretty silly.
And I guess I had a too much time on my hands this morning.

+1 HS
lamplighter's picture

I was reading this and sort of got lost.  What are haters, anyway, and do they have anything to do with alcohol or Kate Upton?

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

You'd have to be a real nut to read comments this far down on a post...but if you're here:

I enjoy DJs writing and take on the world.  I don't always agree with his take but I am always entertained by it and his references/metaphors/verbal illustrations. It's right up my alley. I enjoyed the earlier days when different folks had their skullys (sarah, elika, ramzy, etc) but by the time the phases out I was pumped DJ took over full time. Keep stirring the pot DJ. 

I also love that some up tight nerds and some genuine turds get all up in arms about it. Your life must be straight dope if that's what you're choosing to bitch about. Congrats, smoke some banana peels or bath salts or whatever you're in to and chill the F out. 

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

What in God' s name is going on in here? What was that ruckus?

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

I'll have to admit.. But I didn't get DJ at first.  I do, however, read his Skullys religiously.  I continuously thirst for knowledge of anything Buckeye related.  DJ's writings help to quench my cravings.  

Hate seems to be part of the shtick.. But I'm not a hater, though..and that's ok with me.  We are from two different worlds.  Yet, the immense gravitational pull of The Ohio State University, makes us celestial neighbors.  Brothers.  

I just hope that DJ is able to fight his inner Marionaire and resist the urge to hijack some nuclear weapons and take the world hostage.  Please.. No one piss off Mr. Bigglesworth.

I wasn't a fan at first..  However, I am, slowly being converted.  

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+3 HS
Ashtabula's picture

Why does everyone assume 100% of what he types he truly believes. I have a feeling DJ might be trolling quite a few of you.

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Hell, right now, I'm just enjoying reading this thread.

+3 HS
PAWEST1202's picture

Squirrel Master, I come to this site everyday for the quality of the product presented not necessarily the quality of each individual piece. You are right to say that it's a free blog site and I am not expecting perfectly constructed articles from those trained in the art of journalism. I read 11w because it resembles a more informed version of the conversations that I have with my family concerning the Buckeyes when I visit Xenia, OH for Thanksgiving. 

Ross' commentary is like my cousin who is a Youth Football Coach, DJ's rants are like another cousin who is a US Army Servicemen turned Long-Haul Trucker but has generally been quite a story teller and never shied away from a little irreverence. Jeremy/John recruiting are like my cousin who played at Akron but has friends throughout various high school and college programs throughout Ohio. The conversation in the comments resemble the back forth across the table from family members who have varying degrees of affinity to Ohio State. There are even a few Michigan Fans.

11w is great. The writing is very good but what makes it great is the full package the represents our eclectic Buckeye Family. 

+5 HS

see, I think you get it. To expect more than this is just crazy! and I think some do.

to add to everything you said, I love the instant information that comes out, not just in the writing of the staff but also some of the commentors too.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

if only we could be more like MBLOG. 

+1 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

Think I'll wait on Ramzy to weigh in on this whole situation before I comment.....

It is funny, some on here say that I am defending DJ. Some on here are saying this is a big love fest. Some on here are saying I am worse than those who call his work garbage. Some just wanna have fun!

Diversity is evident, that is for sure!

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Maybe we could just go back to choosing either to read the skullies or not. And choosing to comment on them in the skully thread or not. I for one am ready for the forum logjam to be freed up for more TG posts.

+1 HS