Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Cool story bros, OSU edition

11UrbzAndSpices's picture
July 25, 2014 at 8:37am
30 Comments

After being inspired by Grande Gustavo's 'Cool story, bro,' I thought it would be fun because it's Friday and I can see the weekend and IDGAF and for everyone to post stupid stories of run-ins they had with anyone of significance while at OSU. This is either going to be a great or terrible idea...

One time at Marketplace, I was straving and was waiting on a pizza. The girl kept saying 'Rob! Rob! Rob!' and I thought to myself, if she says Rob again, I'm going to act stupid and be like "Oh, duh, my name is Rob!" So she says it again and before I can speak a mountain of a man comes up from behind me and grabs the pizza. It was Rob Rose's...I almost stole this man's pizza, right in front of him...

His arms were at least as big as my head

Also, once I was talking West down 17th to get to the RPAC when I was crossing College in the crosswalk and a shiny Mercedez sped out of the intersection and almost hit me...I yelled out 'MFer!'...it was Dr Gee, I almost had free tuition!

edit: why do my pics never change in size? I tried to set this pic to only be 100 pixels wide and it's huge! Sorry.

FROMTHE18's picture

Rob Rose had a very underwhelming career. Expected him to be an All American, given the hype he received out of HS. 

+3 HS

Well..duh..he was a 5* guy from Glenville who was barely a starter, but he was still huge and I was about 150lb at the time so I won't forget him haha

Does anyone know if BucksFan changed his icon?

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I believe he made an incredible tackle at the Army All American game for high schoolers and I got instantly jacked up. Too bad it was short lived. I am sure there was more to the story why he never was dominant, unless it was over hype by the scouts for all the publications.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The only thing I remember about Rob Rose was when he dropped what would've been a game-sealing interception in that Fiesta Bowl against Texas.  I had a bad feeling after it happened that Texas would score, and sure enough...

Class of 2010.

+2 HS
js2378's picture

I think he did well with a bull rush his freshman year, but he injured his shoulders multiple times during his career. I think he was more of an injury loss than anything else.

+1 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I went to MSU but was always reppin' my Buckeye fandom. So the day MSU is hosting OSU in basketball, I'm walking down the street wearing an OSU hat and I run into Drew Naymick, the 6'10" red-headed center for MSU.

Me: Hey man, good luck tonight.

Drew: Thanks. (notices my hat) What's up with the hat?!

Me: Oh. I'm a Buckeye fan, but you guys are probably gonna beat 'em tonight.

Drew (towering over me and pointing down at me): As long as you know that.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
Boxley's picture

So, who won that night? If it was us you had to go look him up right!

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

BucksfanXC's picture

I believe this was in 05-06 and MSU beat OSU in Columbus in double OT earlier in the season, so I was sure that home court would mean MSU would beat them that night, but I do think OSU won. (Checked, OSU did win)

I do remember I mumbled something about being an Opie Taylor looking Mother Fer under my breath as he walked away proud that he had just threatened and intimidated someone on the street wearing a Buckeye hat that was half his size.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

B13's picture

During my 4 years at OSU me and my high school friends played in the A league for intrameurals and never lost a game (Harry Buffaloes!).  So we all thought we were great - so we went to Jesse Owens South one summer for a pick up game and Chris Gamble, Donnie Nickey, and Chris Vance were there.  Needless to say we knew we were in trouble when Nickey stood at the foul line, bounced it between his legs, turned and threw it down two-handed.  I remember thinking "i'm 6'1, 190, can bench 300, that's the same size as Gamble".  Uh, they were in another league athletically and promptly trounced us like 21-2.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Sounds like you still had a blast regardless!

jeremytwoface's picture

I've said this before on here but last year I went to the 1st ever Eleven Warriors Gold Pants Social. I got to meet a lot of former Buckeyes and stole a quick selfie with one of Orlando Pace's Lombardi trophies. 

I also got some blocking lessons from Jim Lachey and tried to get him to let me wear his Super Bowl ring (he wouldn't let me).

Then I wondered around the WHAC. Good times.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

My grandmother used to do a lot of work for the Easter Seals and would occasionally take me to banquets when athletes were the guest speakers.  I was in the 7th grade at the time and found out that Archie Griffin was not only the guest speaker, but had spoken with my grandmother multiple times.  I was introduced to him...

Me: Hello, sir...Mr. Griffin...

AG:Hello, David, your grandmother tells me you play football.  Are you enjoying it?

Me: Yes, sir, but I'm not big enou....

AG (interrupts): Size doesn't matter.  It's what you have inside of you that keeps you going.  You'll grow in time but in the meantime make sure you're making the most of your education and enjoying your young life.

I was in shock.  The man I had idolized as a boy gave me the best advice I'd received up to that point in my life.  And if any of you haven't met the two time Heisman winner, he's of very average size.  Hard to believe the guy was a monster for The Ohio State University.

EDIT:  I was also able to meet Anthony Munoz through this.  That is another man who is extremely passionate and inspiring.

+1 HS

He's a better young man than he is a football player...

You know the rest! I've never met Archie, it's one of my top priorities on my Buckeye Bucket list

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I rode The Beast with Munoz when I was 13 or so.

brandonbauer87's picture

I once nearly ran into Aaron Craft at the Canes on Olentangy. I gave him the head nod and let him enjoy his delicious chicken in peace. 

+2 HS
leezy531's picture

Freshman year, I was hanging out in my friends dorm doing college things.  There was a knock on the door, look through the peephole and there was this massive dude. I lived in Morrison, so it wasn't odd to see football players, but he was built like a tank and took up most of the doorway. In walks Beanie Wells, introduces himself to me (as if i didn't know who he was, but still pretty cool of him), and then just hangs out with us for a bit.  Meanwhile I'm thinking, how on earth do people tackle this guy??

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

Michigan was never able to figure it out either.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+1 HS
DCBucki's picture

I was home on leave from the Marine Corps and went to down to campus all weekend. I can't remember if it was football season, a gameday or not. I brought a buddy home with me to show him "Ohio State". We partied on campus and went to some sub place after everything closed down. We met a very attractive woman there and ate subs with her. She todl us she was a model and was going to an afterparty next door. We told her we were Marines on leave and she told us to come with. I think it was at "The Library" bar, but can't remember. A big bouncer opened the door, and after we told the who we were they let us in. I walked in and to my amazment were several football players and some other people I didn't recognize. I spent the next hour or so sitting at the bar, talking to Lydell Ross.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

+1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Yeah none of these are new from me, been told a few times on 11w but I was a former athletic department employee,....

- Malcom Jenkins used to drive a busted ass early 90s Mazda 323. Before he was an All-American he used to walk around the stadium during the summer time just taking it all in. He asked to come in a few times, obviously we let him and it was so awesome to watch him soak up all of the tradition. Malcom is one of the greats

- Watched the 05 Texas game from the sidelines with Thad Matta. Before the back surgery, Thad could always be seen running on campus and would respond with a hearty fist pump when you called out to him. He loved bringing recruits down on the field for football games. He was pretty amped up (and maybe a few beers deep) watching the game and when Limas Sweed caught the go ahead TD right in front of us, Thad screamed incredulously, "DID HE CATCH THAT?!?!?! THERES NO F'IN WAY HE CAUGHT THAT!!!!!"

- During the WHAC renovation, spring practice was held in the shoe and we had to help direct players to park in the concourse, Two stories:

1) Tressel came out one morning and was chatting with us, started asking us about how we parked the cars and where the first ones were and how the filed in. Awe struck and oblivious we answered Tress honestly with no idea why he was asking the questions. Well, he ended with Troy Smith's car being the last one to pull in.  About 20 minutes later all the players come out for practice and Troy runs over to me and two other guys and says, "Y'all a bunch of rats, tellin Tress on me!"

2) Teddy Ginn was rocking an 05 Chevy Colorado. He rolls into morning practice, late, on a flat tire. As he turns the corner to pull in, he swipes a pillar in the concourse and scrapes up the truck. We go running over and he is like, "aww shit man...". Jamario O'Neal jumps and goes, "It's good, we're good, let's just go" I told Teddy we'd work on the scratches (which most came out).

After practice that day, I'm walking through the concourse talking to Brian Hartline (knew him from growing up) and we see Teddy, Whitner, O'Neal, Troy, Santonio...all around Teddy's truck trying to fix the spare tire..EXCEPT THEY HAD THE TRUCK IN NEUTRAL WITH IT ROCKING BACK AND FORTH! Seriously, heisman talent, 1st rd picks abound, and these fellas are underneath a 3,500lb truck that is wobbling like an old drunk man.

Hartline goes running over and throws the truck in park, yells at them, and we change the tire.

I have many more but those are the best!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS

Thad would come to the RPAC after his surgery to get on an elliptical. It was summer so we were scrubbing down all the machines and mats and he hops on the next one we were going to do. He kind of looked at me and said "oh sorry, should I move?" and I immediately replied with "Coach Matta, you go wherever you want." My coworkers all rolled their eyes at me as we proceeded to vacuum, wash mats, etc all around him but not making him move while making students move haha.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Haven't had any interactions with Thad in years but he was such a genuine and happy guy willing to talk to anyone. No wonder players like him and his staff.

These stories are actually pretty good, guys, stop it. I wanted lame stories haha

Denny's picture

One time when I was living on 17th behind the McDonalds, I walked down towards Frambes to give a roommate a ride to a party. A guy was walking out of his house a few doors down, put his beer on top of his car, and backed out. He missed my knee by about four inches. I was pissed that I didn't get a shredded knee/all that guys' family's money. Later I got back from giving my roommate a ride and watched the end of the Duke/UConn (Emeka Okafor years) NCAA Championship Game by myself on the couch.

Cool Story, Bro.

Taquitos.

ITWASME's picture

One time I was walking in to one of the many stores dedicated to Buckeye apparel and walk straight into William Buford and his girlfriend as they're walking out. This was right after a MSU win so I congratulated him and everything. He bought his own jersey and I bought a Sully jersey.

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I always wondered where the players get their jerseys for the games.....

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+5 HS
Eph97's picture

Saw AJ Hawk with his now wife at the then newly opened Whole Foods. Remember thinking to myself that yeah I could picture him as the Whole Foods granola, hippie type. He had long hair at the time.

Indirect OSU connection: When I was at Duke for my MBA saw Greg Paulus at the local Kroger's with his gf. Remember thinking, wow the starting PG at Duke can only get with that?! Then I quickly remembered it was Duke, where the girls aren't particularly attractive.

I must have some weird ability to run into athletes and their gf's at grocery stores!

+1 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

My 'Cool Story, Bro' moment ironically involves Robert Rose too.  One day (when I still lived in Cleveland) I was driving home thru downtown.  I had just gotten off an exit near the west side of d/t and I see this ginormous of a man walking across the street.  I immediately knew he was someone because of his pure size, so of course me being the super-sports fan I am, I got all excited.  I quickly realize after I see his face it's Rob Rose.  I roll down the window and yell out, "Wassup Rose?"  He turns around and holds his hand up in the air and acknowledges me.  I then proceeded to ask him "Who you with?" (because he was walking with two little guys and I figured one was likely/probably Ray Small... I know, lol @ me) and his reply was "just some my boys".  I then threw up the "O-H" and he replied with "I-O".

I know... I'm so cool.  #CoolStoryBro

Also... 2nd #CoolStoryBro... my girlfriend and I were in Vegas this past weekend, and I see this talk guy playin craps all by himself in the Bellagio.  He's decked out in OSU gear... OSU hat... OSU shirt... OSU shorts... the shirt reads OSU Basketball... looks like some 'official' gear too.  Guy is relatively tall (maybe 6'4" ?)... I know this has to be a former OSU bball player.  So... I kinda stand there and watch a little... one of the table guys sees me wearing a Cleveland Buckeyes shirt and says..."Oh no... not another one of you guys".  The tall guy turns his head and sees me and smiles (seeing the Buckeye shirt) and we start making small talk.  I tell him I didn't understand/know how to play craps, so he tried teaching me a little.  I didn't want to hover too long and mess up any streak/ju-ju he might have had going... so I tried soaking it all in and then leaving him be.  About 2-4 hrs later, my girlfriend and I are walking back thru the Bellagio and sure enough... there's the same guy - now at a different table - all by himself playing craps.

I get home... I do some investigation... look at past team pictures... I think it's David Lighty (about 60% positive).  I look at Lighty's twitter page, and sure enough... he's posting about how he was in Vegas and Vegas "got him".  Now I'm 100% positive it was Lightly, because I even remember the arm tattoo.  I know... #CoolStoryBro

+1 HS
MechBuckeye's picture

Sophomore year of college I had the same schedule of picking up Campus Loop North bus at the same time as Deshaun Thomas for a few weeks. So I would just stand about 5 ft away from him and hope he would say something because I surely wasn't. I think he said "man its cold" at one time and I shook my head.

+5 HS
chitown buckeye's picture

I was a freshman on campus and was off to my history lecture. I'm a bit of a bigger guy myself 6' 2", 220lbs. I was trying to find a seat that would give me a little space. The Lecture was crowded but I found a few empty seats and sat down. As I was bent over getting a pen and notebook out of my bag I felt someone sit down next to me. He crowded me, I was very upset and as I bent back up in my seat to turn and ask this guy for space (wanting to yell at him).  I turned and I as I was just about to open my mouth and give this guy the business, I realized it was Andy Katzenmoyer!! What was suppose to be a stern talking to came out as a "Hows it going?"  I turned back and took my notes the rest of the class. He was constantly shifting and adjusting in his seat which was constantly making me rub shoulders with him and have to readjust. I sat there with a smile on my face for 45 minutes! Couldn't wait to get back to the dorms and tell my buddies! He sat next to me for the entire quarter and I never once complained about needing my space! A side note- He was a very nice guy, didn't take many notes though...

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

He was a very nice guy, didn't take many notes though...

Probably saved the note taking for the hard classes like AIDS awareness and golf...

+1 HS