Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Spartan Stadium

Nappy's picture
July 14, 2014 at 12:43pm
15 Comments

In 2012 I posted a forum asking for info on Camp Randall and got tons of great info.  And after officially purchasing my OSU @ MSU tickets today, I was hoping for the same.  So if anyone has been to Spartan Stadium or knows their way around East Lansing, your input will earn you Mod upvotes. 

• Where are the best tailgate spots?
  • Best places to park?
  • Best bars and restaurants?
  • Places to avoid?
  • How little do you give a damn?

Gracias, fellow Dubsters.

rkylet83's picture

I park in the Dunham's or Sears parking lot on Michigan Ave.  Its a quick walk towards the stadium and you can get out quickly and miss traffic.

I like Beggars Banquet.  They are reasonably priced and usually not jam packed with drunken idiots on gameday.

I would avoid dorms, frat house areas, etc.  You would have to go out of your way to get to them though.

Go Bucks! 

+3 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I give no damns about that entire state

+10 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Live in Lansing, went to MSU so any questions and I'd be glad to answer.

Hotels:

Marriot: on campus MAC Ave and Albert, is as close as you'll get to the stadium, only hotel "On Campus" Very nice hotel, all the bars and downtown stuff is right outside the front door of this place (personal story- it is where I witnessed the riots of the NCAA tourney in April of 2005)

Quality Inn: Just off campus, walk to the bars downtown or quick cab ride anywhere, some chain restaurants across the street, this is just north west of campus. Real 2 star quality, it has a pool, lots of fans will be staying here from out of town, but don't expect to use the word "new" to describe it

Tailgating

Above guy who said parking is a "free" parking option but technically you could be towed, but I doubt you ever would, in fact, I've had people park there when I was in school for the entire weekend and it was fine. Walk from your hotel if you can, if not, park in the commuter lot area, south of campus, quite a walk if you can hack it (probably 2miles) and want to see most of the south side of campus, or take the shuttle buses.

Students will tailgate the tennis courts which is south of the stadium. This will be a younger crowd, drinking games, rowdy area.

Alumni frequent the Munn field outside the hockey arena, near the basketball arena as well. It will be civil here as the fans will be older. You can drink but everything has to be in a solo cup here, and they do patrol this.

North Campus (West Circle Drive) has a practice field where the band warms up before the game, it's a much smaller, toned way down kinda Skull Session but outdoors. Very friendly MSU fans will be here, some students but the ones with friends in the band most likely. The team isn't there so I shouldn't even compare it to a Skull Session, band warm up really sums it up.

Commuter lots (Jolly and Farm Lane) - lots of tailgating, they have shuttle buses to the stadium and back afterwards. Should be a pretty friendly crowd here too. Lots of alums, student's families, etc.

Bars:

Crunchy's - my favorite, lots of beer on tap, you can get it by the bucket, literally a few gallon mop bucket of beer with a pitcher to scoop and serve it to at least 4 ppl. Burgers are cheap but decent. Other bar type munchies are all good, pizza is good, thin crust style.

The Riv - dive, college bar. Think Out-R-Inn with less of a liquor selection. Mugs of Coors are usually on special, wouldn't vouche for the food, but they do apparently serve it there

Ricks - dive college bar in a basement. No food, or at least I'd say don't eat anything there. Lots of college kids dancing in the basement, live band will be there I'm sure

Hop Cat - pricer, more up-scale. 100 beers on tap. Excellent food but that beer selection. One is coming to C-bus in the near future so try it out now and be hipster to your friends when it does.

Harrison Roadhouse - bar and grill type place. Good food. Older crowd here, just off campus very close to the basketball arena, The Breslin Center

Peppinos - just went in next to the new Hop Cat. Sports bar, tons of TVs, tons of food options

BDubs - on campus, near the Marriot, you know what to expect here.

I'd also recommend if you are in town for a couple days or before you leave Sunday, go to Golden Harvest for breakfast. Long wait like Thurmans, cuz it only seats like 20 ppl and there is always a line outside but it is the place featured on the "Todd's Taste of the Town" when Blacklidge does those things. I think TravelChannel was there once too. It's good HUGE breakfast food. It's in Lansing, short drive from campus

I've got lots of other restaurants I can recommend for Friday dinners with the fam or Sunday on your way out, just ask.

No places to avoid I'd say as everyone should be pretty nice, except maybe second the stay away from Frats, off campus cheap student housing, etc.

If we get enough together we could do an 11W meet up. I'll be there for sure.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+9 HS
Nappy's picture

This is great, thank you!  I looked at hotels closer to campus but everything was booked.  Ended up booking at the Ramada on the west side of Lansing.  Hop Cat sounds like something I'd like.  We'll be driving up from Indy Saturday morning and will probably grab lunch and start drinking. 

Fan of bacon since 1981

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Indy is gonna get a Hop Cat too apparently. Well, it's a Grand Rapids bar that recently opened one in EL, then has plans for one in Ann Arbor and one in Detroit. Then he has said he wants to expand all across the Midwest for 10-20 places with the next several years, targeting college towns like Madison and Columbus, but Indianapolis is mentioned too. It's a great bar, try the Crack Fries and thank me later, they don't need the queso/bacon/peppers but they don't hurt.

Ramada in Lansing is a nice hotel, short drive down Michigan Ave to that "free" parking mentioned above. You will get to see downtown Lansing and the capitol too then, which is cool. Downtown there near your hotel is some cool stuff around the baseball stadium, home of the Lansing Lugnuts. There is a bar called the Tin Can that serves all it's beer in cans, lot of selection there too. The Nuthouse is a little sports bar there on the same block, all walking distance to your hotel if you want some after game places within walking distance.

Edit: There is a Ramada downtown Lansing and there is one on the west side, which I just re-read what you said that it was that one, so never mind all my downtown Lansing recommendations I guess. West Side is full of chain places and it actually has another Bdubs, but drive to EL and just park and walk to campus/downtown EL. There is a Culver's on the westside for those who said they've never had one of those. Or there is a Tin Can on the west side across from said Culver's that is the same as the downtown, but I've never been to that one, just the downtown one.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+2 HS
Nappy's picture

I was just on the Hop Cat website and saw they're opening one in Broad Ripple here.  I was looking at their menu and first thing I saw was Crack Fries.  How can you not eat something called crack fries?

Fan of bacon since 1981

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

Yeah, they are just really seasoned with some salt and pepper and deliciousness. Highly recommend you just order some to start out while you look at the rest of the menu and then get some with your meal too! Mac and Cheese is only so-so, but the burgers and wraps are all gourmet for bar food.

+1 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

Fantastic info. Thank you for the time and effort in posting this. Only thing you could have added would have been your neighborhood so that nappy and myself can avoid burning it to the ground in the unlikely event of another defeat

Still not giving a damn for the whole state of Michigan. 

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

I live far enough way that I should be safe.

You guys will love campus in November, it's really beautiful. Very much like OSU in that it's a landgrant, huge school. Not quite as big as OSU and Lansing isn't as big as C-bus, but similar in a lot of ways. Spartan Stadium just got some "upgrades" in that it added scoreboard/jumbotron and a ribbon of LEDs around the stadium. It's very 80s industrial, no real discerning features, but the view from the upper deck out over north campus is cool. Could be chilly and the wind isn't Illinois bad, but there aren't overhangs to shield you.

BucksfanXC's picture

I'm adding more on that I've thought about, especially hotels since the near campus ones are apparently full:

West Side hotels are all gonna be nice, newer and in very nice areas surrounded by mall/strip mall/chain restaurant type stuff. Short drive to campus down the highway or you can take surface streets and avoid traffic, but coming from the west will have a lot less traffic than coming in from the east. Cab ride back would probably be too expensive and I'm not sure cabbies would be thrilled to drive that far away from campus for one fare, but they will.

Okemos has a lot of hotels and is very close. It's like the upscale richer neighborhood that borders EL. Lots of nice restaurants and stuff around there too. If you stay in Okemos, just take surface streets to campus, don't even get back on the highway or else you'll be in stand still traffic. It will be different I'm sure with the late game start time, but still lots of people come in from SE MI and they take that Okemos exit to get to the south campus, commuter lot tailgates. You'll pass right by a liquor store on the corner of Jolly Road and Hagadorn, Big Ten Liquor.

If you stay in Okemos, try Backyard BBQ for great pita wrap sandwhichs, pulled pork, Gyros.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention Mennas! Everyone, after you are drunk, stumble to one of the Menna's locations -- one on the east side just off campus, and one in downtown EL near all the bars. It's grilled burritos, but with standard sanwhich filings instead of Mexican burritos. Soooo good drunk. It's open til like 4am, line out the door at 2:01am of all the drunks emptying from the bars and getting Menna's. Don't get in a fight in the line by screaming O-H too much cuz the Menna's Dub is worth it. I always go Cordon Bleu with Honey Mustard instead of Ranch dressing, but you can't go wrong and who cares you'll be drunk.

Few more bars worth mentioning:

Harper's Brewpub is next door to the Menna's and it has it's own brewed beer, but the food is overpriced and small portion sized and the beer isn't that great IMHO. I just avoid it, but I'll mention that. Just go on down to HopCat instead. Or around the corner to Crunchy's

Dublin Square is also a nice campus bar. Upper scale college kids, this is where the law school kids always hang out. Irish pub; food is very good, definitely try the Blue Crab and Brie Dip and get the homemade chips instead of or in addition to the bread to dip.

Peanut Barrel - great burgers, best burgers in EL. Get the Long Island Ice Tea as they are cheap and strong. Small bar so space is limited and the tiny patio is packed on a nice day.

There's a Bagger Dave's just north of campus now too, which has a good beer menu and good burgers, but it's a chain place you can get elsewhere, but still good.

Grand Traverse Pie Company if it's cold out has good warm soups and sanwhiches. Local grown stuff, good pies which they sell whole, by the slice or in little two/three person sizes.

+2 HS
niblick's picture

Marriott & Kellogg both sold out

+1 HS
UFest57's picture

I'm headed up and intend to use this checklist. Thanks for the info BFXC!

+3 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

If any other 11 dubbers plan on attending we should definitely have an unofficial meet up somewhere and take over east lansing

+4 HS
DaytonBuck1980's picture

Threads like this are why 11w is such a great community. We ask and 4 hours later our trip is planned. Rock on buckeye nation. 

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Oh can't wait for Buckeyes and Sparty to rematch last years B1G Championship game, and under the lights no less!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS