Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Visiting Boston

KeithMC33's picture
July 10, 2014 at 9:26am
28 Comments

Good morning fellow 11w'ers. So i just found out that my work is sending me up to Boston in 2 weeks for a training class, and then again in October (weekend of the PSU game, those dicks!). I've never been there before, so i wanted to see if anyone knew of a few specific places to sight-see while I am there. Naturally my first thought was sporting events, and as much as i don't care for the Red Sox i have always wanted to see Fenway.  Of course they are out of town that weekend but i might still do a ballpark tour.

For the October trip, the Bruins are away and the Patriots play the Bears so i may go see that game. I will have the lady with me for that October trip so we will probably go out to a few restaurants and all that stuff.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice!!! 

Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Definitely vist the original Cheers bar. The Old North Church is downtown too. The Union Oyster House is the oldest run establishment in the US at 183 years. The food there was pretty good but the ambiance was great. Just knowing that you were in a place where Daniel Webster was a constant customer ...first rate.

+2 HS
OSUStu's picture

Do this.  You'll see some of the most important sites in American history:

Welcome to the Freedom Trail, a 2.5-mile, brick-lined route that leads you to 16 historically significant sites — each one an authentic treasure. Explore museums and meetinghouses, churches, and burying grounds. Learn about the brave people who shaped our nation. Discover the rich history of the American Revolution, as it began in Boston, where every step tells a story. 

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
Earle's picture
+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Taking my wife to Boston at the end of this month and will be staying at the Ames Hotel downtown.   My 1st time there and would appreciate any suggestions as well.  Love to eat and drink my way around town at more non-touristy establishments.  Best places for unique side dishes, Lobster rolls, and spirits would be appreciated.

+1 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Definitely do the ballpark tour and visit the USS Constitution.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I used to live in Beantown and without fail you will have a blast at Quincy Market - the original Houlihans is there. QM is a huge street fair this time of the year. Unbelievable deals if your buying stuff.

+2 HS
KeithMC33's picture

man there are some great idea's here! Thank you all for the suggestions!!! 

+1 HS
buckeye4life050233's picture

Definitely the Fenway tour.  Go up to Salem and take one or many of the boatload of tours they have there.  Food on the North End and or down around Faneuil Hall.  If you do go to the North End make sure to take the T (subway) because the streets are narrow as heck and it is tough to find a parking spot, late in the day especially.  If you want to make the wife or girlfriend happy go to Newbury Street.  The Prudential is a cool spot to take the tour and they take you to the top to look out over the city, they also have Duck Tours there which is kinda cool for a first time in Boston thing

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

You should totally throw a party with tea...

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Harpoon brewery tour is great.

+1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

And the Charles River Esplanade. Go to the dock at sunset--you and your wife will love it (I earned points with the girlfriend for doing a sunset picnic on the dock there).

+2 HS
NObuck-I-inTEAM's picture

I went to Boston in the fall and went to do the stadium tour, would definitely recommend that.  I would also plan some extra time to hit up the Beer Works right by the stadium.  Huge selection of beers and in the fall they had their Pumpkin Ale which is my second favorite behind Schlafly's.

+1 HS
Bourbon Meyer's picture

Eat at Legal Seafood too. Visit Newberry Street in Back Bay, and take a romantic stroll through Boston Public Gardens (not Boston Common) in addition to everything everyone else said. Boston is a Great city. So much to do.

+2 HS
Xenia_Buckeye's picture

Legal Seafod is VERY good. Thier chowders (fish and clam) are EXCEPTIONAL!!

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Jameis Winston thinks legal seafood is overrated.

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

James Hook and Co. Seafood Shack.

James Hook & Co.
15-17 Northern Avenue
Boston, MA 02210.

You're welcome.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+2 HS
labuck's picture

Go to no name restaurant in the harbor...unreal!

+1 HS
Keith Byars is the man's picture

Been there many times. Legal seafood very good, the barking crab is also a good place to eat (a little pricey), the freedom trail is awesome if you like history like I do. Make sure you go to the cemetery where John Hancock, Samuel Adams, Paul revere and many other famous Americans are buried. It's on the freedom trail. Fenway Park tour was great. The area around the ballpark is neat. If you don't want to walk the freedom trail you can take the bus tours around it and get off wherever you want and tour it before getting back on. 

Nothing is Impossible!!!

+2 HS
buckeyefutbol's picture

Freedom trail is phenomenal as said above. Fenway is by far my favorite ballpark in the country. Also if you want a great meal, hit up Grotto. It is an Italian restraunt that you get three courses for $35. Best meal I have had in a very long time. Another good place is modern pastry. It is along the freedom trail. Hope you have a great time!

"Lets beat the s*** out of M*******" -Urban Frank Meyer

+1 HS
O-H Kee Pa's picture

Born and raised in Reading (12 miles north of Boston), now an OSU alum living in the 'bus. Definitely Freedom Trail and the USS Constitution. Quincy Market, as mentioned, is also a good, uniquely Boston kind of place. Definitely check out the North End; grab a pie at Pizzeria Regina's, and then go to Mike's Pastry. Walk through Boston Common, and make your way to the Back Bay/Newbury St.

There are also high speed ferries leaving out of Boston that can take you to the Cape. Legal is good, but if you have a car, head to a restaurant called The Causeway in Gloucester. Absolutely destroys Legal, and it's not even close. The best fried fish and clam chowder that I've ever had. Also, check out Rockport if you're in that general direction. It's a little town that looks like it was spit out of a Rockwell painting. 

+4 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Do you recommend a place to eat in Rockport?  Thanks. 

+1 HS
O-H Kee Pa's picture

Roy Moore's, The Lobster Pool, or Top Dog. There are also a couple of New England-y ice cream and candy shops for something sweet.

+2 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Wow this is an awesome list! Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, i threw you all an UV for your time. I really appreciate it!!! 

lippertini's picture

15-year resident of my beloved Boston here.  All of these are great recommendations (DO NOT MISS THE PUBLIC GARDEN OR THE FENWAY TOUR), and to them I'll add:

Island Creek Oyster Bar near Fenway, tastefully upscale, but not stuffy, compared to some of the others, with great raw bar (of course)

Your wife might love strolling up and down Newbury Street, full of boutiques, cafes and great people watching.  

Beacon Hill, the neighborhood around the State House, is gorgeous, with beautiful brownstones and cobblestone streets.

The "South End" (not to be confused with "South Boston"), is a hub of beautiful side streets with restored brownstones and many bistros and restaurants along the main ones (Tremont St, Columbus Ave).  For dinner/drinks with a lively adult crowd and live jazz and blues, try The Beehive: http://www.beehiveboston.com/

Go check out MIT Campus (partially because it's on the river and has beautiful views of Boston) and Harvard (to get some Ivy "feel", plus Harvard Square is a very cool area to walk around, with interesting shops and restaurants).

If you're into Halloween, Salem (home of the witch trials) is a big destination.  Cute historic town in general, never been there in October, though.

In town with the lady, do the Harbor Walk along our downtown waterfront.  It's just nice to be along on the water.

Rent a car for a weekend and drive to: 

Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  It's a gorgeously quaint but vibrant little New England city (feels like  a big town) on the ocean, an hour north of Boston.  Rye Beach is nice and near there, or drive another 30 mins to Ogunquit in Maine, another quintissential New England beach town.  

...or one of the other places here.  http://thecompulsivetraveler.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/my-top-5-new-engla...

In October, it should be prime foliage season, so you should rent a car and drive either up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire or Green Mountains in Vermont, either camping or doing a B&B somewhere, or going west instead to the Berkshires, near towns like North Adams, and Williamstown.  Just the most beautiful rolling hills and mountains, with Norman Rockwell towns and GREAT culture (Williams, Amherst, Smith colleges all around here).

I can't recommend enough the weekend getaway to one of these places.  You won't have gotten a real taste of New England without it.

Okay, back to work!  Hit me up with an email before you come, and we can exchange #'s if you think you might find yourself needing a friendly face or want a guide for an night (Lippertini at gmail).  Happy to help a fellow Buckeye!

+3 HS
tussey's picture

What part of Boston are you from?  I live in Ipswich.

+1 HS
lippertini's picture

My time here has been mostly split between Coolidge Corner, Brookline and Quincy.  Ipswich area is classic New England, love driving around those parts.

mh277907's picture

Kelly's Roast Beef has some damn good sandwiches.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS