Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Cleveland Lands 2016 RNC

703Buckeye's picture
July 8, 2014 at 5:33pm
32 Comments

"CLEVELAND, Ohio – Capping off a months-long, bipartisan lobbying effort, Cleveland has been selected to host of the 2016 Republican National Convention."

"Cleveland edged out Dallas, the other finalist, as the recommended location for the convention, giving the city an opportunity to strut its stuff to a national crowd while placing Ohio even more firmly in the political spotlight for the upcoming presidential election."

"The GOP is considering June 28 and July 18 as possible dates for the convention, Priebus said during the interview."

I'm glad an Ohio city landed a national convention. For those who don't know, Columbus and Cincinnati made the Republican round of 8 before being eliminated. This convention will bring Cleveland, and Ohio, even more into the spotlight and can help highlight the great qualities of our state!

Cleveland getting this convention is proof that the city has invested heavily into infrastructure since it last lost on the 2008 GOP bid. Cleveland has added a new convention center, thousands of hotel beds, and boasts a strong/revitalized downtown. This convention won't completely change national perception of my hometown but it certainly can help it.

It is estimated that Cleveland will need to raise an additional $50-60 million in order to host the convention but the return could be well-over $200 million into the local economy. Remember, it doesn't matter if your persuasion is red or blue... Cleveland (and Ohio) will make some green!

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/07/cleveland_gop_convention_annou.html#incart_big-photo

DISCLAIMER: I'm posting this as a way to point out the positive change which has happened in Cleveland and the positive changes that are yet to come. I am not endorsing and/or condoning one political party or another. 

Byaaaahhh's picture

Good for Cleveland. I'm interested to see who will emerge as the Republican nominee. I can't see any legitimate contenders for the White House, but ehh, let's not get too far into politics here.

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

It will be very interesting but you are right, we shouldn't get too much into politics here. I just wanted to share some positive news for Cleveland. 

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+5 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Cleveburg has 30 mil of needed capital thus far.  It has 30 more lined up thy next year.  I am considering a temporary move. Columbus is in the running for the DNC, wouldn't that be a coup.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I have no doubt that Cleveland will procure the rest of what's needed to meet the GOP financial requirement. Now if C-bus manages to get the DNC, that's roughly $400 million dollars going into Ohio in 2016!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Parents gave me the latest tour of C-Town 2 months ago and I saw the finished convention center, the medical mart and all the new hotels. It's all very impressive. The theater district has the worlds largest outdoor chandeliar.

+1 HS
RickKaneWasHere's picture

Go Mitt! Great guy.

Can you put the past away?

-4 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Please no endorsing of any political figures, not the point of this thread. 

+4 HS
RickKaneWasHere's picture

Oops, sorry...Just saw that. I'm more just speaking in personal terms. Mitt's my man! My aunt used to work for him. There isn't a better guy than Mitt Romney.

- Rick

Can you put the past away?

-1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

No worries!

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

True. Nice to see Cleveland get picked for something other than a list of "worst places for ....."

+7 HS
sharks's picture

It is going to spur some major revitalization downtown,  starting with the transformation of Public Square into green space.  Exciting times, and a huge win- not only for Cleveland,  but for the concept of a bipartisan effort to secure something that benefits everyone, which is what occurred here.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Getting this convention pretty much guarantees that the planned $30 million renovation of Public Square will go through and definitely before the convention starts.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

And you thought downtown Cleveland was beautiful before...

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Good thing The Jake (yes, that is still the name) doesn't have a roof or Dolan might be tempted to go the way of McMullen of the 80's Astros when he held the RNC at the Dome and put the 'Stros on the road for damn near a month during the '88 season.  I live in Houston and was only 8 but I remember that.  Half surprised it hasn't happened since our owner has Dolan blood.  I suppose he's better than his brother…...

Also, do you realize that Dolan and Jacobs both owned the team for 14 years (and counting for Dolan)?  I was looking at the ownership and prior to them it seemed the team changed hand every 3 years. Talk about a lack of consistency for an entire century.

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

While I loved the Jacobs years, the Dolans are making me wish George Steinbrenner's bid for the Indians had been accepted.

Scott's picture

This is neat news for Cleveland. I attended the Democratic conventions in Denver (2008) and Charlotte (2012) and they were some of the most fun experiences I have ever had. For anyone that has never been, I would absolutely suggest attending the convention. And if you contact your congressperson, state senator, or state representative early on, you may even be able to get your hands on tickets to some of the speeches (although the real fun is at the after parties).

The only downside is that I assume this will lessen the chances that Columbus lands the Democratic convention. I just can't imagine both of them happening in the same state, but stranger things have happened. 

Class of 2008

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I had read where the Democrats are expected to counter with a convention in Columbus based on the GOP going to Cleveland. 

Dont know, don't care...but I'm in for a good party anytime. 

+1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

What is a congressperson? Positive that it's congressman.

Scott's picture

There are congressmen and congresswomen, so congressperson is just a neutral term. Either way is acceptable.

Class of 2008

+1 HS
NYCBuckeye's picture

Looks like the RNC didn't consult Joakim Noah on this decision

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Don't worry, dentists and hair-stylists don't consult Noah either.

+3 HS
NYCBuckeye's picture

Edit: double post

brunstar's picture

Smart move.  No Republican presidential candidate has ever won an election without winning Ohio.

+4 HS
rdubs's picture

Rob Portman and Sherrod Brown have been working together to try to get both conventions to Ohio.  It would be great if that happens!

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2014/07/03/brown-portman-j...

+2 HS
sox33osu's picture

Fun times in Cleveland again!

Still Cleveland!

+3 HS
RedStorm45's picture

AT LEAST WE'RE NOT DETROIT

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

The Heartland. Middle America. The election always hinges on Ohio. Good move.

***wondering who will get the hammer first?***

+2 HS
Fly Patterns's picture

Let's hope this helps to revitalize downtown. There are so many vacant offices now compared to 10 or 12 years ago. It would k d be great to see some businesses get talent to migrate back to cleveland. Manziel, wiggins, and LBJ would do wonders too

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Downtown is actually going under quite the transformation already. While office occupancy is slightly below the national average the residential occupancy rate is far above the national average; downtown is adding thousands of residents every year. 

Fly Patterns's picture

That's good to hear 703. Cleveland is my home base and I want it to succeed. I may very well be wrong about this, but I thought outside Tremont, many of the multi-units downtown have been converted to section 8 housing. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but section 8 is kind of a mixed bag especially when it comes to building a tax base. Hope that's not too political a comment for this site.

cinserious's picture

Yeah, because the Cleveland area is more Republican than SW Ohio and Cincinnati.

Gone ham, be back soon...

+4 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Pretty baffling decision, imo.  But good for the mistak...I mean, Cleveland (and Ohio).

-2 HS