Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Tater Salad

Mizzillion's picture
July 7, 2014 at 9:44am
19 Comments

This guy is a flippin' genius. He has raised over $8000 $10,000 and his goal was only $10. LMAO

Crowdfunding website Kickstarter has delivered plenty of notable gadgets during the course of its short life. Pebble and Oculus Rift are among those that immediately spring to mind.

A new project posted Thursday on Kickstarter tackles a very important topic: potato salad.

The Potato Salad project was started by Zack Danger Brown of Columbus, Ohio with a funding goal of $10. "Basically I'm just making potato salad," says Brown on the Kickstarter page. "I haven't decided what kind yet."

As of this morning, the project has 87 backers pledging $340, which means Brown has achieved his stretch goal of calling a chef to "get a better recipe." Brown promises if the project gets to $350, he will "make way more potato salad and probably do a third recipe."

UPDATE ON JULY 6, 9:17 a.m. ET: The project is now up to 659 backers and nearly $3,800. Brown says he will rent out a party hall "and invite the whole Internet to the potato salad party."

People who pledge $1 will have their name said out loud while the potato salad is made, says Brown, or you can spring for the $25 max package, which includes the following: "Receive a potato-salad themed hat along with a bite of the potato salad, a photo of me making the potato salad, a 'thank you' posted to our website and I will say your name out load while making the potato salad."

However, Brown says the project comes with one key risk. "It might not be that good. It's my first potato salad."

Source

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I personally don't like potato salad, which is odd seeing as my entire family, wife's family, best friend and his family, all eat lots of potato salad.  However, if I could make $3800 for making a batch of potato salad (or even, maybe make a third recipe), then heck, I'll become a fan of potato salad.

Kudos to this guy for being awesome.  Maybe I'll start my own kickstarter to fund the LEGO Deathstar that I've been wanting for like 5 years.

+1 HS
faux_maestro's picture

I hate potato salad. Except potato salad from City BBQ. That stuff is the bomb.

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

whiskeyjuice's picture

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

RBuck's picture

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+5 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

This is who I thought this article was going to be about.

+2 HS
GABuckeye's picture

"I was drunk in a bar.  They THREW me in PUB - LIC."

+6 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

I didn't know how many guys it would take to throw me out of that bar, but I knew how many they were gonna use

+3 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

And that is a handy piece of information to have

+1 HS
BuckeyeKing02's picture

Great find!  Even better idea.  Kudos to Zack Danger Brown for creativity and entrepreneurship!  If only they would teach those things in b-school....

Squirrel Master's picture

I gotta start getting into this kickstarter stuff. I need to know more about how it all works. I know its about starting a project or a "kickstarter" and then have people back you but what are the limits to what you can do on there? what does it take to put together? does it have to be just tangible stuff or could it be for a cause for a friend in need?

Very cool stuff going on the internet these days.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

BuckeyeKing02's picture

Over $10,000 raised now....wow...

Mizzillion's picture

It's over $22,000 now. Unbelievable.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

$44,000+... holy christ

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Secret to great potato salad..sour cream and bacon

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

Secret to anything great ever in relation to anything... bacon

Tater_Schroeder's picture

What's this?

How Firm Thy Friendship

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

$60k!

Cardale Jones. Cardale Jones! CARDALE JONES!!

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Project funded!  $55,492 was raised, which is ridiculous.  He rented out the Columbus Commons on September 27th from noon until 8pm for the potato salad party.  I'm curious to see how much of that he actually gets to use, and how much is lost to taxes.  And with all the gifts he's supposedly giving out, I could see him actually losing money on the whole thing.

Oh well, Potato Salad!

+1 HS