Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Bourbon

YTOWNBUCKI's picture
July 3, 2014 at 10:13am
23 Comments

Independence Day is one of my absolute favorite holidays and because of it I like to enjoy one of my favorite beverages, bourbon.  Fine liquids like bourbon deserve conversation so...

Which make do you prefer and how do you prefer to drink it?  We all know of Ramzy's Liber-tea, which sounds delightful and is one of many ways to enjoy God's nectar.

Personally, I'm a Woodford Reserve with an ice cube kind of guy.  I got it from my father in law and I've never turned back.

TRIVIA: What is the difference between a bourbon and a whiskey?

RandyBoBandy's picture

I am the liquor.

Maker's 46. One ice cube. 3 whiskey stones.

I don't wear shirts.

+1 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

All bourbons are whiskey but not all whiskeys are bourbon. Testing my memory, but to be bourbon it has to be aged in a special kind of barrel, and maybe made with a certain % of corn. I've had too much bourbon since I last took the Bourbon Trail to recall for sure.

+4 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

It must be aged for at least 4 years in a charred oak barrel and the mash has to be 50% or more corn.  People commonly say only whiskeys made this way in Kentucky are bourbons but this is not entirely true.  Although if you go to a distillery in Kentucky they will make this claim and I'm ok with that.

Bourbon Trail is awesome though.  It's what got me hooked.

Squirrel Master's picture

If you go to Heaven Hills distillery for their tour, the guides there actually say the only reason why bourbon is supposed to come from Kentucky is because of the limestone rich rivers that run through Kentucky that helped in the creation of bourbon. The requirements of federal law for bourbon doesn't state it must be made in Kentucky, it states that it must use the limestone rich water that comes from Kentucky. well that was wrong, the water isn't federal law but they say it has a lot to do with the history of why bourbon is a Kentucky product. http://wfpl.org/post/kentucky-limestone-water-indispensible-bourbon

at least from what I can recall, they give out some nice free samples there that can make memories a bit fuzzy.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

And if you want to get regional its supposed to be distilled somewhere on the west side of Kentucky.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

YTOWNBUCKI's picture

Yep.  Technically Jack Daniels would be considered bourbon but no way will they have the gull to call it that.

+1 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Actually JD is, indeed bourbon. It's just marketed as Tennessee Whisky:

Although the product generally meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon.[5][6] Packaged in distinctive square bottles, a total of 11 million cases of the flagship "Black Label" product were sold in the company's fiscal year ended April 30, 2013.

tommrkr's picture

I would like to suggest OYO Michelone Reserve.  It's a bourbon/wheat whiskey blend, made in Columbus.

http://middlewestspirits.com/#products

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

Where is Professor Hodge?

DannyBeane's picture

I'm a fan of all things Bulleit. I prefer their Rye, but their bourbon is pretty tasty as well.

+1 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

One bourbon, one scotch & one beer?

+3 HS
Earle's picture

Only if you drink alone.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+3 HS
Zaphod Beeblebrox's picture

George Thorogood would agree.

+1 HS
bedheadjc's picture

And John Lee Hooker's ghost would politely smile and pat George on the head.

+1 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Per Ramzy's recommendation, I've tried several Johnny Drum varieties, and they're delicious! Seek it out, if you haven't already sampled this nectar of the godless.

I have to echo the Woodford Reserve nod, and the OYO tip. Both are readily found here in Cols, and are glorious. Elijah Craig also makes some damn fine products.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

UrbzRenewal's picture

Currently working on Evan Williams Single Barrel (2004 release). Perhaps the best bourbon you can get for the price ($27 in Columbus). Neat only, por favor.

+1 HS
KevinJ's picture

I get it down here in FL for under $23, and get Four Roses Small Batch for $25, would have to say for that price those 2 are hard to beat, definitely the best bang for the buck bourbons IMO.

KevinJ's picture

I like in no particular order Maker's 46, Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch, Elijah Craig 12yr, Blanton's, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Willett Pot Still Reserve, Evan Williams 10yr Single Barrel, just opened a bottle of Noah's Mill last night and have to say it is awesome. I also like Rye's, Willett 4yr Rye being my favorite with High West Double Rye coming in a close 2nd. I usually drink my Bourbon neat or with a splash,  once in a while I'll whip up an Old Fashioned.

There are many others I have a looooong list LOL. I know on the to get list is Booker's, and Willett 2yr Rye.

BuckeyeKing02's picture

Could someone link me to Ramzy's "Liber-Tea" recipe?  Sounds like a good addition to my holiday weekend.  Thanks.

Squirrel Master's picture

I've fallen off the bourbon wagon lately. I just haven't had much want to drink I guess, unless its a couple of brews. In stock though is some Makers, some Elijah Craig and I am pretty sure Evan Williams. Nothing pricy though, I don't drink enough to spend a lot on it.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!