Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Can we actually beat Germany tomorrow?

Groveport Heisman's picture
June 25, 2014 at 8:06pm
66 Comments

Feel like this is going to be the biggest soccer match the USA has been involved in in well since the match against Portugal. That God damned record breaking cross from "The Hairline" was heart shattering. Anyone feel like we still  have a good shot to actually advance or even win our group? I felt like Ghana could have easily beat us then I felt we should have beat the hairlines 3-1 if it wasnt for Bradley getting cute or the miraculous leg save which ever way you view it. I honestly think and feel we can pull out a 2-1 victory over probably one of the top  3 teams in  the WC.Anyone care to type of the scenarios which will advance us or give  any in depth detail on what to expect tomorrow will be greatly appreciated.

Tater_Schroeder's picture

I'm not confident that we can win the game, but I am very comfortable with our chances at advancing out of the group stage. A lot of dominoes have to fall in order for us to be eliminated tomorrow. I suppose we all cheer for US and Portugal tomorrow.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+6 HS

If Portugal wins or draws are we in?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Knarcisi's picture

We have a 4 goal differential lead on Portugal so we would have to lose, and lose badly, and/or they would need to win in a blowout. 

+2 HS

Wow I had no clue we had 4 goals up on them. I guess we only have a 1 goal lead on Ghana?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Correct. Us losing and Ghana winning would lessen our odds. If goal differential is the same, they then go to total goals. Any chance that is the same, think they would go to head to head which we would win. 

+3 HS
sbentz4's picture

We actually have a 2 goal lead on Ghana.  We are plus 1 and they are minus one since we both tied and we played each other.

+1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Correct, however we need to lose and they need to win for there to be any tiebreaker. That assumes and takes up those 2 goals. We lose 1-0 or 2-1 and they win by the same score, should go to total goals, which would be even, then to head to head which we would win. They win by more goals than we lose, it's theirs. 

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

We have a 5 goal differential lead (+1 to -4).  Unless FIVE goals are made up, we will advance.

It's only a 2 goal lead on Ghana (+1 to -1) but we hold the next tiebreaker because we beat them head to head.  So Ghana needs to make up 3 goals, assuming total goals scored becomes even.

jamesrbrown322's picture

U.S. losing by 1 and Ghana winning by 1 makes up that difference.

All of the (most likely) ideal scenarios for the U.S. involve Ghana NOT winning.

One thing to worry about is how fragile Portugal is. The U.S. could play a good game against Germany and still lose maybe 3-2, and if Portugal implodes (which is certainly possible) Ghana could easily beat them by 2-3 goals. Thereby advancing Ghana to the next round despite head-to-head result.

This is one major problem I have with the WC. Head-to-head should be the FIRST tiebreaker. Then goal differential. Then, total goals scored. Then a death match between two assistant coaches.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

cajunbuckeye's picture

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+6 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

Everything is possible at Zombocom.

Knarcisi's picture

Not a soccer guy, so take this win a grain of salt. Sure we can win.  For the most part, we controlled that game vs. Portugal. Our defense, though, was lapse at times. It cost us twice, and nearly cost us a few others if Ronlado hadn't whiffed. Our defense in the box seems a little sloppy.  Teams like us and Costa Rica weren't supposed to have a chance.  And the better teams don't always win these games. The one that makes the most of its opportunities does. 

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

If we score more goals...

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I hope Ghana and Portugal draw, and make it a moot point.

Also, isn't it time for Tim Howard to have a clean sheet in the WC? I'd love to see a great team performance and huge upset in this match, but I'll settle for any scenario in which the US advances. If this team does advance, as crazy as it sounds, I like their chances of reaching the semis.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS

Thats what I'm thinking James. But if we can win  or draw against Germany then I think we would have the confidence we can play with any team in the tournament.

Knarcisi's picture

I'll tell you this, I'm playing hooky from work to watch and find out. 

+4 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

Has March Madness taught us nothing? Upsets are possible, and they do happen. Excuse my homerism, but this is the greatest country in the world. Even if we don't have the best team in the tournament, we have a great coach that isn't going to let our boys go out there without being fired up. We all know that a team that plays with heart and passion is a force to be reckoned with. Go USA!!

+3 HS
BuckNutzGasMan's picture

"I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!"

+7 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

Beat me to it... but I too, "Believe that we can win!"

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Ditto, one unofficial +1 to you both

Troll hunter

OfficerRabbit's picture

Even though Jurgen keeps saying that we'll be playing to win, I still expect the US team to play a very Tressel-like game of "play not to lose". I think both Germany and the US will make sure to keep their respective defense's back and their midfielders playing a less aggressive, possession-type game. Neither team wants to get caught in transition because they were being too aggressive in the offensive zone.

+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

This is going to be my first time rooting for a boring ass 0-0 soccer game.

LEBRON

+2 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

Probably not. Germany thrives in this tournament! The US best chance is for Ghana-Portugal to tie. If Ghana wins it wont just be by one goal it will be by multiple goals. And Germany will look to completely demoralize this team, especially with Joachim Low being Jurgen's right and man in 2006. Where many people said the only reason Germany made it that far was because of Jogi and not Klinsmann. He will have his team ready to show that he is in fact better than his predecessor. 

-1 HS
sbentz4's picture

I agree with your first point, best chance is Ghana-Portugal tie, but I don't think Germany will be playing very aggressive.  They have to be careful to not get exposed on the counter attack by US and lose the game.  The winner of the group will have to play belgium and the 2nd place team will likely play algeria or russia.  Germany does not want to play Belgium, may be looking for a tie and take chances when they are available.

Kurt's picture

I've never heard anyone say Germany's success in 2006 was due more to Low than Klinsmann.  

OldColumbusTown's picture

It's true - many people within the German team and national program have hinted at that.  Not that anyone has come out and said it (although Philip Lahm may have actually said the words, not sure), but it is fairly common knowledge that Loew was seen as the tactical genius behind the German team in '06, and Jurgen's greatest (only) attributes were his commitment to physical training and the sense of belief he instilled in a young side.

Kurt's picture

Thank you....true indeed, just found this article confirming that and even explaining where it originated.

MikeNugents BigToe's picture

"Remember that 55 yarder against Marshall?" -Not Mike Nugent

+2 HS

+5 HS

+2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Not a soccer fan necessarily but I'm not a parade pisser on-er either. So with that in mind....

LETS GET SOUR ON SOME KRAUTS!

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would be more obvious.

+4 HS
cajunbuckeye's picture

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

love  some sauerkraut

brunstar's picture
Hi Germany......

+15 HS
Citrus's picture

Beat me to it. I do recall that we beat Germany when it counted twice.

+2 HS
BHT's picture

Here is the short answer: YES!. The long one: if we play well, and we don't make mistakes, then yes, we can beat Germany. If we play like we did against Ghana, (except for the early goal) no, we wont beat Germany. They will capitalize on our mistakes.

Then again, what we do best is believe. If we believe that we can beat Germany (I do), they we wont be disappointed.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Ghana=Germany

USA>Ghana

Therefore:

USA>Germany

LEBRON

+1 HS
bucknutfern4's picture

That logic does not apply to this sport. If it did then it could look like this.

Germany>>Portugal

USA=Portugal

Germany>>USA 

TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Yeah but we didn't play USA Football in the Portugal Game

+6 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Yes, hoping we play Stanford football tomorrow. 

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

How do I feel about our odds? Germany's about to get a big dose of Freedom...

+3 HS
Dweinz's picture

well this german horse picked the US to win tomorrow.  so that makes me feel pretty good about our chances 

http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/2014/06/25/u-s-will-beat-germany-in-wo...

+5 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I do believe the headline for this post is exactly what the soldiers preparing for D-Day asked….in all seriousness, if the Germans try, I don't see how the US beat them. If you watched Argentina and even France today/tonight, neither of those teams went defensive and just played possession football/soccer. I don't see Germany playing for the draw and the US will have all kinds of nightmares with the German strike force and Lahm pressing forward from the back will exploited the pretty weak US wings. 2-0 Germany, but could see the US getting one. 

mtrotb's picture

Germany is overrated and will buckle under the pressure as it will a pro-US crowd.

mtrotb

-3 HS
GlueFingers Lavelli's picture

Dustin Fox was our leading tackler as a corner.... because his guy always caught the ball.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Hoping for advancement, if for no other reason than this. Whenever their final game in this WC is, it will be the final WC appearance for Dempsey, Howard, and Beasley, who are three of my all-time favorites. They have given a lot to US.Soccer and raised our profile (particularly Demspey and Howard with their success overseas). Here's hoping that we get to see four more victories for them!

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+3 HS
KB3RG's picture

Yes USA can win. If anything this World Cup is showing how screwy this year is.

Spain, Ivory Coast, England, Italy all traditional power houses that have been eliminated

Portugal is on the ropes

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I figure if Ghana can tie Germany, the U.S. stands a chance. I think we'll know pretty early.

I agree with many who are saying that while a tie might be intentional, if the game is tied with 20-25 minutes left, they may both just batten down the hatches and not attack so freely, to secure the 1 point and decreasing the odds of getting no result at all. I think in this one, if the U.S. wants to win, or even a draw, it must never trail. Therefore, U.S. must score first.

Seattle Linga's picture

Stars and stripes FOREVER 

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Indeed...

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

They grow 'em nice in 'merica.

Go Bucks!

RedStorm45's picture

By the way, there is massive flooding in the area of this game.  Have heard talks they may be forced to postpone.

KB3RG's picture

Edit: FIFA released a statement a bit ago stating it should be fine.

If the game is in a delay. The Ghana vs Portugal game will be in a delay as well. 

EDIT: 15 minutes officials will look at the field condition and see if its playable

jamesrbrown322's picture

Could negate one major U.S. advantage - speed. Also, the water takes strange skips and bounces on a wet pitch.

However, one would assume that with how significant of an event the WC is, these fields are built to handle it.

Seattle Linga's picture

KB3RG - If the US game would have been cancelled then the Ghana game would have been postponed til tomorrow as well. It is an off day for the WC. 

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Ghana has sent home two players.  I know Boateng was a pretty significant player for them, right?  Maybe that tilts that match to Portugal?

LexingtonBuckeye's picture

Certainly helps that Muntari is out as well. He had been a catalyst in midfield. He is the bigger loss compared to Boeteng, who has had a marginal couple games.

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Sorry, mixed up the names.  Still, in-fighting amongst the Ghana team it sounds like.

Go1Bucks's picture

It would be to ours and Germanys benefit to just tie.  They win the group, we get the better side of the bracket. No one get injured trying to hard to win.  And Portugal and Ghana, neither of which have won a match, go home as they should.

Go Bucks!

KB3RG's picture

Portugal Leads!