Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

Game of Thrones Ep. 9

ITWASME's picture
June 8, 2014 at 9:41pm
28 Comments

Thoughts and opinions after it's done. I have liked talking about it with you guys so just wanted to make sure we have one. Was busy with baseball so I'll be a bit late

brunstar's picture

I'm glad they didn't kill Tormund.  Next week will be awesome, I hope the show sticks to the end of Storm of Swords.  People will flip out several times.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

First episode that I remember that stuck with one story. Short.

OSUStu's picture

Yeah, the episode ended almost 10 mins early. They better pay that back in the next episode.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

DJ Byrnes's picture

Finale is 64 minutes or something like that.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

OSUStu's picture

The stickler in me wants 70 minutes.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

brunstar's picture

The Battle of the Blackwater in season 2 was a whole espisode.

hodge's picture

The battle was exceptional television. For the budget they're working with, it was really close to the dramatic effect of The Battle if Helm's Deep.

Less technically impressive, but exceptionally well done. 

ITWASME's picture

Damn John Snow is a badass. IT'S HAMMER TIME BITCH

+6 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

" I should have thrown you from the top of the wall, boy"

" Aye, you should have"

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Don't watch this one, but gotta say...two other Sunday night shows that are pretty awesome: Turn, and also Halt and Catch Fire

-4 HS
ITWASME's picture

I would definitely recommend it

BrewstersMillions's picture

I make a solemn vow to all folks on this thread that I won't ruin, hint at, or cause any undue stress with a finale (one that should be awesome) right around the corner.

With that said, as a reader, I was more than a little turbed about this episode. I've given up on hoping that the show will mimmick the books. This battle, though great TV was a pretty big miss in a lot of ways. Two minor characters-Pyp(arrow through the throat) and Grenn (In the tunnel) both are not only alive in the books but play a decent enough role in some major events that occur at the wall. With that said, neither is crucial to the entire story so their show deaths don't bug me.

Really not crazy about the near miss with Jon and Ygritte. Jon found her dying, vs. seeing her dying. Probably a minor thing as in the end she does die in the right spot, but part of Jon's POV chapters about that battle are how his thoughts are on Ygritte at times but never does see her until the end.

Janos Slynt was perfectly cast and shot as the bitchmade punk he is too though, so that one won some points for me. I really hope they end up on both King's Landing and back at the Wall for the finale.

I enjoy the show but at this point I really have to separate it from the book as something all together different. This episode was great television and the finale is shaping up to be a beast itself.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

SOF_Buckeye's picture

Agreed on the separation of the book and the show. I just reread the entire book series last month, to refresh my memory. My opinion is that the books, and the battle at the wall, needed no 'rework'. If I hadn't read the books, the show would seem pretty incredible; however, since I have read the books, its disappointing in many aspects. **See, no spoilers**

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

MackRM408's picture

You re-read the entire book series in a month? Are you an alien?

SOF_Buckeye's picture

No, but I do have a voracious appetite when going through a reading binge. I did the same with the Tom Clancy novels. One drawback, is that the disappointment once I've completed the books.

"The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender." Woody Hayes

MackRM408's picture

Couldnt agree more as a fellow reader of the books. The episode was some great TV but I was hoping it wouldn't last the whole episode because there are more important things I think. Next week should be crazy though with a whole bunch left to happen. Red Wedding-esque for non readers

SoCalBuck26's picture

Jon Snow is a beast.  A little sad about Ygritte, prob b/c I think Rose Leslie is smokin hot.

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Pretty  cool episode  even though the castle black part of the show is one of my least favorite parts.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

OSUpawn's picture

The whole episode I kept thinking when is John going to show some sword fighting.  I wanted to see him dominate like Achilles in "Troy".  I did like the fighting for being a show. 

I have a feeling I'm going to hate the next episode.  Just going to be cliffhangers for every scene.  Will make me want the next season now.  Kinda like I want football now!!

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+1 HS
niblick's picture

any episode with no Tyrion and no Danerys side boob is a horrible episode.  

+1 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Next week's ep is going to be a #banger.

There are two ways they could end the finale that would be amazing.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

cplunk's picture

Carefully avoiding spoilers here, but yeah even book readers don't know how the season will end. 

There are several major plot items that all take place around the general time periods that a few of the various story lines have reached, and they can't possibly have them all in one episode. Can they?

I actually can come up with four rather than two, but who knows what they are saving for next season. They've mixed and matched the books a bit, which is good because we're approaching the point where the books start to drag a bit.

Should be a great season finale no matter what way they choose.

There are two major events that should be in the pipeline, each one should blow people's minds. If they throw them both in there, I would be impressed-but only if they give each event the attention it deserves. I am thinking they probably won't be able to do the events at the Wall justice so they'll probably take the King's Landing and Mereen route. There is definitely one event that I've been waiting for the entire season-one that in my mind is the central event in the books given the importance of it all.

Seriously, guys I'm not trying to hint here so I will let you know what I meant when it happens. Everytime I've come on these posts and made a cryptic post or a 'just wait' type of comment its because of my  belief that what should happen Sunday is so awesome.

And that's all I have to say about that.

-1 HS
HighBallAce's picture

THEY KILLED OFF YGRITTE WITHOUT ME GETTING TO SEE HER HOOTIES ONE MORE TIME......DAMN THEM!!!!

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I am perpetually disappointed by things occurring near the wall. They just aren't as interesting as things going on elsewhere (same goes for Bran's storyline which I don't care about yet either). There were some exciting visuals in this one, but overall it was one of my least favorite episodes. Maybe its that Jon Snow doesn't appear to be anything but wholesome. I just need a bit more from him somehow. I too, wanted to root for him. I wanted him to go into complete badass mode and kill like 100 wildlings. Also, his talents were wasted on top of the wall where it seems that a guy that says "knock, draw, loose" quickly would be best.

+1 HS
CTBuckeyeFan's picture

I actually cheered when Sam opens the door and Ghost is there looking at him.  I thought he was going to check on his girl, and then got the great realization that he was unleashing Ghost on those wildling facks.

The wall guillotine was badass too:

+1 HS

"We need you boy" was pretty awesome. Then he goes out and just beasts on wildlings.

-1 HS