Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

So this happened to me this weekend...

LABuckeye's picture
April 20, 2014 at 9:18pm
24 Comments

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/apr/19/body-trail-hell-creek/

Which really, really, really sucked. The only reason I'm posting about it on here as that even with this there was a Buckeye connection: I was wearing an Ohio State cap while I was running, and one of the deputies on the scene was an OSU guy. He gave me a fist bump.

InvertMyVeer's picture

Sucks that you had to be the one to find him but it's a good thing someone did and at least the man can get a proper burial.

Football is complicated...

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

That's a very unenviable situation. It's a little strange that they decided to leave the poor guy out another night. Especially after it was published about where it is.

LABuckeye's picture

The site was very remote. I doubt many people make it out that far. I did because I'm experienced trail runner who does 20+ mile runs in the mountains every weekend.

+4 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

My uncle found a baby on a construction site years ago. He really struggled with it. About 10 years after it happened, he got a call from the police. They wanted to follow up with him to let him know they found the guy that did it. Hopefully they figure this out relatively quickly. I know closure is best for all parties. 

LABuckeye's picture

I can't imagine. I was mostly disturbed by the scene... the pose he was frozen in, as if alive. I'm sure I'll get over it in time. I was debating on asking the Sheriff Department if they would keep me informed on the results of their investigation. I would like to know what happened to him.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The article says it was outside Hellhole Canyon. Were you in Culp Valley?

Just being nosy as I used to hike that area a lot.

LABuckeye's picture

I don't know where Culp Valley is. I live in LA. I went with my wife for the weekend to Harrah's Rincon in San Diego County. I don't gamble, so most of my time was spent outdoors exploring the mountains that surround the resort.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Former marathoner here --- and I know that on some of the extended longer runs your looking for some space and relax. Sorry you had to find the body but hopefully there will be a quick ending to a tragedy. 

+2 HS
LABuckeye's picture

Seattle, you are 100% correct. We did this trip to try to de-stress after two 100 hour workweeks on my part (I own a small consulting firm and we suddenly got insanely busy) and the end of the ACA Insurance registration period (my wife is a Covered California certified insurance agent and the last week was insane for her). Unfortunately, it was kinda stressful with what happened (the article doesn't tell the parts about me being asked to stay on the exposed mountain top with the body for two hours while they failed in their attempts to get me via helicopter and ATV). I'm sure I'll be OK, though. I slept better last night, and ran a few miles for the first time since Saturday today. Feeling a lot better... 

Seattle Linga's picture

That's Crazy - So much for the nice peaceful quiet weekend huh. 

Hang in there brother - it's almost football season

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Hellhole canyon is on the other side of the ridge that was directly to the SE of Valley Center Rd. Culp Valley is the more open areas to the SW of that.

It's a really pretty area and worth exploring more if you ever make it back down. Were the plants still flowering? Time is about right for the tail end of the spring bloom.

Anyways sorry for the digression....I know it wasn't a pleasant discovery for you but know there's a family that is no longer wondering where their loved one is and can begin to find closure.

+1 HS
LABuckeye's picture

Earlier in the day, my wife and I ran for 4 miles up on Palomar. There were quite a few wildflowers in bloom there. Nothing, really, down below. It's been such a dry year that the flowers are pretty sparse...

+2 HS
Northbrook's picture

I wouldn't go where you were running without a sidearm. 

Northbrook's picture

The area sounds remote and like it may have big predators like cougar, bear, maybe wolf, and most dangerous of all - humans.

So I'd have a sidearm. But that isn't always an option so at least some good bear spray.

LABuckeye's picture

No bears or wolves. There are mountain lions, but I'm likely to spend my entire life outdoors and never see one. The two biggest dangers to me as a runner on southern California trails are bees and rattlesnakes.

LABuckeye's picture

Though, I have to note, I doubt I will ever go down there again. Not exactly pleasant memories...

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

When I was a paramedic, I transferred a guy to a mental facility. The trip was about an hour and all the guy would do was stare at you. I read his history in his transfer packet and it said he was happily married at one time until his wife delivered HIS baby. She became increasingly jealous of the attention he gave their child. Then one night he came home to a well prepared meal of noodles with meat and gravy. She took the time to cook her own baby, strip the meat from the bone and prepare the rest of the meal. He couldn't function after finding out he ate his child. It brought me to tears and months of wondering how long the child suffered. Did she kill it first or throw it in boiling water?  Still can't eat lobster.

LABuckeye's picture

I'm not even sure what to say...

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

What does this have to do with anything?

-2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

ALLINOSU - that story is wrong on so many levels - let the sleepless night ensue.

doodah_man's picture

Feel your pain. During my vacation last week, I stood in a restaurant parking lot watching a guy being chased by police. He hit and cut a vehicle in two, severed a light pole from the ground, and ended up inverted in the grass beside the road. The driver of the vehicle he hit died instantly, as the large body truck opened the passenger compartment like a can opener. Saving grace was there was only one person (man, 42) and not a family or children. 

Guy managed to climb out of the truck and run, while police pursued. They caught him and is in the Baldwin County jail facing manslaughter and eluding charges. Has priors of hard time for meth and DWI loss of license. But you knew that. Like an episode of Cops.

Jim "DooDah" Day
It is hard to play dirty against a man who picks you up.

Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for the update.