Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

All Time Favorite Arcade Games

cinserious's picture
March 3, 2014 at 1:59pm
72 Comments

Now that we have the Nintendo games topic covered, how about arcade games?

I'm going to start it out with: Time Killers

cinserious's picture

I didn't mean to post yet, I was going to add NBA JAM and Cruisin' USA.

Gone ham, be back soon...

RedStorm45's picture

Area 51, Cruisin USA, NFL Blitz, Time Crisis...and most are available at 16-bit!

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Does pinball count (all arcade games or are pinball and other arcade games separate)?

If pinball counts, then Theatre of Magic is probably my favorite game from the arcade.

If pinball doesn't count, then I used to love to play NBA Jam.

Least favorite: Dragon's Lair. What a scam that game was.

EDIT: I have to add Asteroids...the original with the wheel rather than the arrow buttons. Spent countless hours with that game.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

+1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Street Fighter 2 or get out of my face.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Donkey Kong, Frogger, NBA Jam, Golden Tee

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Pong!  No wait!

I'm getting old.

+2 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Space Invaders and Missle Command

+1 HS
JLBNYC's picture

Mortal Combat

Defender

Rastan

Gorf

Missile Command (good choice DWCbuckeye)

Whatever the name of the NBA basketball arcade game they used to have in the Ohio Union in the mid-80s!

+1 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

I worked in an arcade during the summer between my Fr. and Soph. years at tOSU.  In the darkest, back corner, hid behind the Jurassic Park game was Tron.  Good ol' fashioned Tron.  Still working and still a quarter.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

Chief B1G Dump's picture

Im not sure what years you were there...but there used to be a Subway on High St (just south of McDonalds) with a pretty solid arcade in the back. 

I had a weekly ritual of "getting my mind right" and then hitting the arcade for a bit...footlong in hand of course. 

If that wasnt the arcade you worked at, then...I like turtles. 

+2 HS
Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

No, actually the arcade was out east in Ocean City, NJ.  On the boardwalk there.  We also had Skee-ball and Big Belly Punch-'em.  Glad you like turtles.

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

Furious George 27's picture

Centipede

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

NBA Jam, WrestleMania, Off-Road, Terminator 2, TMNT

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

NBA JAM and........DAYTONA 500!! 

+1 HS
Baroclinicity's picture

I liked to play as the lesser teams on NBA Jam.  I liked to see if I could beat people playing as Brad Lohaus or Wayman Tisdale.  

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

luckynutz's picture

I always played with the kings. Mitch richmond was the truth!

GoBucks713's picture

Tron, Star Wars (Atari version from 1983), and Galaga.

But when I managed a movie theater, I spent many many many hours on Marvel vs Capcom. I'm not sure which I lost more to that game, hours or girlfriends.

-The Aristocrats!

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I always liked the side scrolling beat 'em ups i.e Final Fight and Double Dragon. The pinnacle of arcade achievement will always be the 2 screened, 6-player X-Men game.
In college I had a 4 player cabinet of Wrestlefest which is another favorite.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Battlezone
Wizard of Wor
Rally-X
Galaga
Time Pilot
Gauntlet
Double Dragon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Simpsons
X-Men
Virtua Fighter

+1 HS
OSUmuFAN's picture

I can't believe it took this long to get The Simpson's, X-men and TMNT named, those 3 were the best along with PacMan / Ms Pacman

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

PAC-MAN

everything else

+1 HS
sharks's picture

Simpsons Arcade game. I beat it. It was glorious and expensive. I think I was Marge.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Unky Buck's picture

I'd say NBA Jam and Pacman were my favorite arcade games. Didn't visit an arcade often, but when I did, I knew what games I was going to play.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

I used to work at Magic Mountain Polaris when they had NFL Blitz on a projection screen.  I used to love playing 2 on 2 after work for free for hours.

Besides that, X-Men and TMNT (I don't recall Magic Mountain ever having TMNT) were always favorites.  And for racing, 4 player Hydro Thunder was a lot of fun (especially if you knew the cheats to unlock certain hidden racers -- there was a hovercraft that was unbeatable if you could master the steering).  Time Crisis and Gauntlet Legends consumed many hours as well (I had a level 99 Minotaur that took more time than I should admit to playing).  We didn't have Street Fighter 2, but I played that for many hours at the Olympic Pool in Clintonville when I was growing up...

AndyVance's picture

Area 51 was always a personal favorite. X-Men and the similar Avengers arcade games were pretty great, too.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

ARKANOID is my all time favorite...

But any pinball and NBA Jam also took a lot of quarters from me.

vitaminB's picture

Rampage on NES had no ending.  I would play for 5 or 6 days straight in the summer, my NES would be on fire because you had to leave it on or you lost your place.

+1 HS
buckeyes7222's picture
+1 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

If pinball counts, I'm going with Captain Fantastic.

Seattle Linga's picture

I had Nip It Pinball growing up - that was cool because it was the same machine as the one on Happy Days

Go1Bucks's picture

Zaxxon, Dragon's Lair, Asteroids, Tempest, Joust, and Donkey Kong

Go Bucks!

bedheadjc's picture

+1 on the Tempest ref...loved that game...it went from easy to impossible in about three rounds...

Go1Bucks's picture

yeah, I loved it for how quickly you could fail.  Had to pay attention every moment.

Go Bucks!

edr4225's picture

nba jam, blitz, simpsons, teenage mutant ninja turtles, street fighter, mortal kombat were my favs 

lets go bucks!!

Go1Bucks's picture

...and Addams Family pinball machine in Bernie's Underground.  

I got my Passport there with my Mug inscribed "Federally Funded Drinking" as my scholarship paid for it.  LOL

Go Bucks!

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I know it was said before but Galaga and Tron both Rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Galaga was & still is the greatest video game ever! Centipede is a close second.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Baroclinicity's picture

Anyone ever heard of Klax?  

Also...Xevious and Xenophobe

When you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

+1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Xenophobe was one of the hardest games I can remember playing in the arcade. I hated games where you lost health even when you weren't getting hit. It had good graphics for the time and was innovative.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

Whoa Nellie's picture

Skee-Ball

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Galaga, Outrun, Ridge Racer, and Centipede are the first that come to mind. 

I preferred a lot of the games mentioned above on a console. NBA Jam, Blitz, and Cruisin' USA were all better in front of a tv. 

Floyd Stahl's picture
+2 HS
20sider's picture

Tempest rocked. Loved that game.

GO BUCKS!

+1 HS
buckskin's picture

Ten Yard Fight and Tetris.  Tempest was cool too.

+2 HS
dc28's picture

Golden Tee

Vball

Track N Field

Tecmo Bowl

Cloak N Dagger

Punch Out

Dragons Layer

Gallaga

+1 HS
Scott's picture

For any people in Central Ohio, there is a bar in downtown Columbus called 16-Bit. It has a ton of old arcade games that you can play for free. Definitely worth a visit.

You can see their game list here: http://16-bitbar.com/games/

Class of 2008

Scott's picture

A few weeks ago I played a game called Tapper, a 1983 classic that has you racing to serve drinks to angry customers. 16-Bit has the bar version that serves Budweiser, but there is apparently also a family edition that serves root beer. 

Class of 2008

TheBadOwl's picture

I played this on Dreamcast back in the day, but I've seen it in arcades, too: Crazy Taxi.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

I_Run_The_Dave's picture

When GameWorks (RIP) first opened at Easton, my friend Paul won a Crazy Taxi tournament there and won a dreamcast before they were officially released.  That game was fun but I sucked at it.

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Heres one I havent seen mentioned yet, and took a lot of my time back in the day: Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. My brother player indoor soccer, and the place he plays had this game. I dumped my life savings into that game over the years. Dont know why...but I loved it. And golden tee. Seemed like every night at the bar revolved around a 3 or 4 hour marathon of golden tee. And beer. And shots. Wow...never realized how much Tim and money I've dumped into beer and video games. And im not sad about either!

+1 HS
mshaf's picture

Space Invaders 

Arkanoid

Phutatorius's picture

"WIzard needs food . . . BADLY.  Warrior is about to die . . . Elf shot the food."

+2 HS
Sportpaco's picture

My favorite? Zoo Keeper, with Burger Time a close second.

CALPOPPY's picture

Had Burger Time on the TI-99 and played it a lot. But never played in the arcade.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

JeffCoBuck's picture

Loved Donkey Kong.  Also loved Outrun.  I thought it was so cool that you could choose your own "radio station" before driving.  Does anyone remember Heavy Barrel?  You had to work through various levels, killing enemies and picking up components of a super weapon as you went, and after you collected them all the game would pause, the voiceover would yell, "Heavy Barrel!", and you basically laid down a scorched earth policy for the next 30 seconds.  Loved that game!

1MechEng's picture

1.) Galaga - easy and fun to play.

2.) Gauntlet - "The wizard needs food badly ..." will forever be permanently ingrained in my mind.

3.) NBA Jam - I loved it when a player was "on fire". He could hit from anywhere. Good cheats as well.

USMC11917's picture

I skimmed through this and if I missed it, Don't Taze me... but I enjoyed Paperboy a lot as a kid. I only mention it because I havent seen it on a list yet. I loved a lot of the above mentioned. Some others I saw that were left off were the old Dungeons and Dragons side scrolling games and Stryder. Spent the most money on Double Dragon and X-Men TMNT and Shinobi. Almost forgot, what is surely to be DJ's favorite, N.A.R.C.S.  The only game I can remember where you go around and shoot bad guys and collect their heroine/cocaine.

Ahh Saturday's picture

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet, Elevator Action!  There was something hilarious about the combination of crude graphics and shear brutality of the game.  Jump, duck, shoot bad guy in the face.  Jump, duck, shoot bad guy in the face.  There is supposedly some mission of gathering "secret documents" but really the game plays like a darkly, absurd killing spree, and the only thing that marks your guy as a "good guy" is the fact that he is your guy. I imagine a later-day Camus playing it in his mother's basement, smoking Gauloises and muttering into the darkness about the benign indifference of the universe.

Buckabroad's picture

Satan's Hollow.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
bedheadjc's picture

1942, Tempest, Spyhunter, Cyberball.....Gauntlet!!!!

+1 HS
thirtytrap's picture

Galaga, Punch out, Battlezone, Dragon's lair, Sinistar

Buck Commander's picture

NFL BLITZ........PAC MAN..........DEFENDER..........MOON PATROL............GALAGA..........SPACE INVADERS....... ...And  my #1 ASTEROIDS

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

shaggybuckeye's picture

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road, Lethal Enforcers, TMNT, Simpsons, X-Men, Golden Tee, Pit-Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2, Sunset Riders, After Burner, Operation Wolf, Golden Axe, Run and Gun (basketball), and Title Fight all ate more of my change growing up than I can even fathom.

Heinieg's picture

Galatians, Kickman and Qbert.

chitown buckeye's picture

After Burner! When I was a kid I thought if given a chance I could actually fly a F-14 and do 7 barrel roles in a row.

"I'm having a heart attack!"

The Rill Dill's picture

Space Invaders, Galaga, Frogger and PacMan.

Urbanabuck's picture

No one liked Robotron? 

Tempest and Tron as well.