Finally, every game does count.
Details are still trickling out, but here's what we know after a meeting of university presidents in Washington DC:
- Four team playoff with a 12-year deal
- Six bowls will rotate the two annual semifinal games
- A yet-to-be-determined selection committee will choose playoff teams based on W-L record, strength of schedule, head-to-head (if applicable) and whether or not a team was its conference champion
- The championship game will be held the first Monday of January that is six or more days after the first semifinal
- The first title game will be held January 12, 2015
It's time to celebrate a little, college football fans. Today is a great day for the sport.