Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Cleveland Cavaliers 2023 Playoffs Thread

+18 HS
Cooper's picture
April 12, 2023 at 10:42am
267 Comments

The Cavs, at long last, have finally made the playoffs without LeBron on the roster. 

They somewhat exceeded my expectations at the beginning of the year, but I did not foresee the Heat's struggles or the Nets completely blowing up their team. 51 wins is about exactly what I expected. My predictions for the playoff seeds were not entirely too far off, though, the only team I did not expect to emerge were the Cavs' playoff opponents, the Knicks: 

1. Boston 2. Milwaukee 3. Miami 4. Philadelphia 5. Brooklyn 6. Cleveland 7. Toronto 8. Atlanta 9. Chicago 10. Washington

Speaking of New York, I think this series may be capable of being the best first round matchup in the playoffs - and definitely the most intriguing matchup in the East. The Knicks have a top 4 offensive rating, a top 7 net rating, two all-star level talents in Randle and Brunson, guards who can fill it up in Barrett, Quickley, and Grimes, and another guard who I really wanted the Cavs to trade for in Hart. 

Not helping matters is the health of Isaac Okoro, who has missed the last few weeks due to a knee injury. The Cavs are hopeful he will be ready for game 1, but if he cannot be healthy or fit enough to help guard Brunson, the Cavs could really struggle to defend the perimeter. The play of Dean Wade since his injury has not given me confidence if Isaac cannot be a part of the rotation.

Offensively, I still don't have much of an idea of what the Cavs want to accomplish in late game situations. Will Spida replicate his Jazz role and essentially demand the ball when it is close? Will Garland step up? Will Evan try to be more aggressive?

The Knicks and Cavs rank 26th and 30th in pace, respectively. It is going to be a slog of a series, and extremely physical. The arena on Saturday should be buzzing, though, I wish I could be there. 

Go Cavs!

Links:

NBA Playoff Schedule

NBA Finals Odds

Danny Green's Resurgence May Have Come Too Late

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 267 Comments