Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Jackets Get 5th Rounder for Nikitin

Rjpfish2's picture
June 25, 2014 at 3:58pm
19 Comments

Awesome news! He was set to become a UFA and walk anyways, so getting anything for him is great. And with him signing that ridiculous 2yr/$9mil deal with Edmonton, I'd say the CBJ did as well as they could do!

I hope a young guy like Erixon takes his spot; I wonder where this leaves Nick Schultz?

HattanBuck85's picture

I concur. Schultz is gone, IMO.

"The height of human desire is what wins, whether it's on Normandy Beach or in Ohio Stadium." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

Sure would be nice having someone with his experience as our 7th D-man...

James F's picture

The cost of that luxury would have come with a $4.5 mil cap hit.  That's top 4 money.

-1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

http://capgeek.com/player/941

You mean Nikitin? Schultz just played the last year of a 6-year deal @ $3.5mil/per. I believe EDM actually paid half of his salary last year as well.

I doubt he signs for anything near that. As sparingly as he was used, he should probably be replaced with someone young like Goloubef.

-1 HS
Sabaneatspuppies's picture

"My idea of a good hit is when the guy wakes up on the sidelines with train whistles blowing in his head"

+1 HS
kgratz's picture

We need an elite defensemen to pair with Johnson so that we can get Wiz off the first pairing. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Yeah, the Wiz needs to go...

+1 HS
MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

The Wiz looks like Johnny Football.

+1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

While his cap hit is obscene and he is a downright liability at times as far as defense goes, he did finish 9th in the NHL is points by a D-man and ended up with an even +/- for the year.  He doesn't belong on the top pair, but he played well alongside Ryan Murray and is a pretty big part of the PP.

CarolinaBuck's picture

Ryan Murray may be who you are looking for.

RedStorm45's picture

Wiz hasn't played on the first pairing in a long time.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Future is certainly heading in the right direction !!

+1 HS
BuckminsterFullback's picture

I thought Nikitin was pretty solid last year. Erixon may be a year away from matching that performance, but it's time to give him a chance, to see what he can do.

FWIW: Nikitin was a 5th round draft choice (by St. Louis) in 2004. The CBJ got him in a trade for Kris Russell; and St. Louis traded Russell to Calgary for a 5th rounder. So getting a 5th-round pick seems like a pretty fair value for Nikitin.

+1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

I agree- Niki's heavy shot will be missed, but he was too inconsistent though.

TheBadOwl's picture

It wasn't technically a 5th round pick for Nikitin, it was a 5th round pick for the rights to negotiate with Nikitin before the UFA window opens up. If he hadn't signed, we wouldn't have gotten anything.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Rjpfish2's picture

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723794&navid=nhl:topheads

You're right. It is being reported as a trade in a few places. 

I wonder if EDM thought his stock was that high and someone else wanted him?

BuckminsterFullback's picture

I realize that they got the 5th round pick for the right to negotiate with Nikitin; I should have been more explicit about that.

I wonder if there's anything in the CBA that prevents teams from contacting a player's agent before they make this kind of deal, just to see if they're in the ballpark, moneywise; otherwise it seems like a pretty risky move. 

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

CBJ is really, really making some moves. New management has breathed some great life into that franchise. Arrow is pointing up with this team who appears to be improving its position each and every month. Good for the Jacks.

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+2 HS