Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Week's Question: Of Ohio State's Remaining Targets in 2023, Which is the Most Pivotal to Land This Cycle?

Garrick Hodge's picture
July 4, 2022 at 8:00am
20 Comments

Ohio State has been on a tear in the recruiting trail, wrapping up its wide receiver and cornerback recruiting in the past two weeks with six commitments in total. 

At this rate, it's very likely the Buckeyes are headed toward another top-five recruiting class at the very least. But there's still work to be done, and some premier targets left on the board. Which brings us to this week's question: Of Ohio State's remaining targets in 2023, which is the most pivotal to land this cycle?

Truthfully, I went back and forth on this for a bit. I don't think you can go wrong answering either Caleb Downs or Olaus Alinen for a multitude of reasons. 

But in short, Alinen would be a premier addition at Ohio State's biggest remaining need in 2023, while Downs is probably the most talented remaining player overall the Buckeyes are still pursuing. 

In the end, I went with Downs. If the Buckeyes land him, it would give him their third five-star recruit of the 2023 cycle and a legit chance at the No. 1 overall class in 2023. Downs would be a true player to build around on defense. Imagine him and Sonny Styles giving fits to opponents in coverage. 

But the main reason I went with Downs is I don't think there's another player of his caliber OSU can land if he goes elsewhere. Joenel Aguero took an official visit to OSU earlier this month and is going to be a great collegiate safety, but I'd be very surprised if his commitment is anywhere other than Georgia later this month. 

Whereas, if OSU strikes out with Alinen, it would certainly be a tough pill to swallow, but there's other options Frye could pivot to and at least attempt to land a similar caliber player. Two of those options are Samson Okunlola and Monroe Freeling, though neither has been connected with OSU much in recent months. Both could take their recruitments into the fall, though, and thus give OSU time to make up ground. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments