Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Ohio State Pursuing 2015 Punter Alex Craft

Jordan Wagner's picture
June 20, 2014 at 7:56pm
16 Comments

As first reported by Dan Morrison, Ohio State has made a partial offer to Kettering (Ohio) Alter punter Alex Craft after seeing him at kicking camp last week. The partial offer is for Craft to pay for his first two years of school while Ohio State would put him on scholarship for his last two years.

Craft is still looking around at other schools, but is seriously considering the offer from Ohio State. A decision is not expected anytime soon. 

Silver Bullet 10's picture

Another A. Craft. Any relation?

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Doubt it Aaron is from Findlay

JDunc686's picture

Sometimes cousins don't live in the same city

+9 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well played just a little pre-mature - happens all the time - just ask my wife.

+3 HS
JDunc686's picture

Would the Thunder From Down Under be the first punter to declare early for the NFL draft?  Or just want to have a back up plan for if he gets dinged up and for when is eligibility his up?

Seattle Linga's picture

I'm thinking the latter

rosenbuck's picture

Brad Wing from LSU, who has almost the same background as Johnston, went pro early. IIRC though it was because of personal indiscretions, rather than the fact that he was so good it warranted leaving early.

Killer nuts's picture

I had no idea that partial offers were a thing. Pretty smart idea

TCOB_6's picture

I thought that's all Saban offered down at Bama. "We'll put you on scholarship for the first year and see where it goes from there."

+1 HS
Oyster's picture

Coach Tressel is banging his head on the wall screaming "Serenity Now!"

R.I.P. Otsego

+2 HS
bucknasty13's picture

Honestly... Why are we looking at a punter... Punting was exceptional last year and he was a freshman

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

By the time this kid steps onto campus that exceptional freshman punter will be a junior.

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I don't really like the idea of a partial scholarship. Hasn't Meyer gone on record in support of four-year scholarships?

+1 HS
ronbizi's picture

I agree.  But the kid should be given the option of a partial scholarship here versus a full ride elsewhere.  Who knows what else is going on in this story?  Maybe his grades are good enough for a full ride by themselves?  Maybe OSU is his dream school no matter what?  Let him decide, and best of luck to him no matter where he goes.

Jordan Wagner's picture

I'm not sure why people are upset with this. Urban is telling the kid upfront that he has to walk-on and earn his scholarship in two years after Johnston is gone. 

We're looking at a punter because he is a walk-on and does not count against our scholarship. Having Craft walk-on would allow OSU to put him on scholarship his junior year and start for two years. If not Craft, OSU will probably use a scholarship in 2017 on a punter and have him start as a freshman.