Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Travis Waller

Soggy_McMuffin's picture
June 9, 2014 at 10:18pm
41 Comments

Still made his top 4 with no offer? July 1st will decide!

UrbzRenewal's picture

Ohio State will not take another quarterback that isn't Torrance Gibson. Alabama/ND for Waller.

BengalErnst's picture

That isn't 100% fact. Ohio state has the the right to change their mind on offering Waller.

Nicholas l Ernst

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Aint. Going. To. Happen.

WesPatterson23's picture

Ah Birm, tell the coaches to offer him!

jamesrbrown322's picture

What I don't understand is, if they have no intention of offering him, why do they stay in touch with him? I understand not wanting to burn bridges, so is that basically all this is? They (the coaching staff) don't want to slam the door shut until they get a better feel for Gibson's decision? Because, if you ask me, the Gibson thing is done. He LOVES Tenn and Auburn (for reasons that I don't understand), and has been to both campuses multiple times, meanwhile, OSU might get a visit this fall.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I can understand Auburn more than Tennessee.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

Remember Dontre Wilson.  This coaching staff is relentless and stays connected just in case....

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Remember Dontre Wilson.  This coaching staff is relentless and stays connected just in case....

We should send a fruit basket to Chip Kelly.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
305Buck's picture

One visit to Ohio State can change everything, look what happened with Jashon Cornell. I remember talking to a few posters from Miami about Torrance Gibson on 247sports, and they all said when the kid makes it up to Columbus, he's going to be all Ohio State. The kid loves Meyer and the offense he runs too much. Auburn and Tennessee are at the top right now but it really doesn't matter who's on top during the summer when he isn't deciding until late December. It's about who's on top at the end.

+2 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

It looks like he would accept that offer immediately after offering considering the fact we are in the top 4 without offering. It looks like Torrance isn't going to make an effort to get up here. I know he is our #1, but if we want a more athletic QB than Burrow then offer Waller. ( no knock on Burrow because I think he will be awesome)

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Ahh... The wonderful game of recruiting.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture
+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Really? Dude's gonna use a serif font on that? And a stroke instead of a nice, subtle drop shadow? Smh, man.

A nice, bold sans serif with a subtle drop shadow, say, Proxima Nova Semibold, would have stood out much more and looked a lot smoother.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Besides being irrelevant, stroke > drop shadow and PN wouldn't fit. Serif fits the style of the HS logo and also better connects with an academia theme. 

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

See, my buddy turned 21 tonight and I went out to have a few beers with him. Tipsy me loves dumb typography jokes/pretending that bad design is actually good.

Still though, not a fan of light or thin fonts with a stroke. Too overpowering, though that may be the beer talking.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
buckskin's picture

I've been drunk quite a bit and have never commented on the lightness/darkness of font type.

+12 HS
crusher's picture

OK American Psycho

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

jamesrbrown322's picture

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Rumor going around on 247 is that he will commit to Alabama tomorrow on his visit.

Might give them a silent commit. His mom is going with him.

If Bama lands this kid, I will hate that we handed them a top 50 player on a silver platter smh.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Is he truly a fit for Bama? Neither Kiffin nor Saban have ever really coached this type of QB, and from Saban's perspective, if it ain't broke, then why the hell would you let Lane Kiffin run your offense? Oh I meant "don't fix it," my bad.

TraSmith4's picture

After seeing that rather emphatic post by Birm I'm just gonna cross Waller off the list and move on.... I really like the kid though! Good luck wherever he ends up personally I hope he doesn't end up at Bama imagine Saban actually having a mobile QB instead of big statues... yikes!! 

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

I'd hate to see him at NU more. We'll play against NU more than we will Bama, probably.

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

NW will never be a threat to Ohio State, but there's a possibility that we meet Bama in the playoffs multiple times in the future.

Waller in their offense with all of those weapons surrounding him is deadly.

+3 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

To be fair, that's what we said about Purdue. NU's caused us trouble before and Waller could be better than Persa and Colter. Bama's going to have a good quarterback regardless of Waller.

TraSmith4's picture

With the new playoff system in place it just doesn't compute with me that Purdue or NU could ever be compared to Alabama! They have won multiple Nat'l Cships with average immobile "game manager" QB's who will probably never be starters at the next level. They always oversign usually getting 25-30 studs because they weed out the guys who can't cut it in the SEC so their roster is always 5-6 playable guys deeper than teams in the B1G, ACC, Pac12 or Big12 who typically do not oversign and weed out the duds, they always have at least 2 NFL caliber RB's 1-2 NFL caliber WR's, a stud in Hentges coming in at TE and their D is always top 10 nationally playing in the best conference in America! So adding by all accounts a high IQ QB who is accurate BUT CAN ALSO RUN and move around in the pocket... I'm sorry but that's a frightening thought in my book! I DO NOT want Waller going to Bama... just my opinion... I could be wrong though. Philip Sims couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but Waller can, watch his tape. You are right they do have good QB's already and Jacob Coker is going to be really good for them and he is more mobile than people think, it will be interesting to see how he does for them. Still I would just hate to be a D coordinater preparing for Bama and instead of always knowing that the QB will be right there in the pocket all of sudden you have to have your LB's worrying about the QB taking off and running.... yikes! I hope he picks NU or ND!

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Pretty confusing as to why he'd commit to Bama. His game doesn't fit their offense, they have a billion 5-star QB's either in the fold or on the way, and ND makes the most sense of the top 4. On paper, it'd be a top player going to bama, but its a poor fit for both sides IMO.

+3 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Everybody wants to hold that crystal ball, and as of late, bama has been doing it..do I agree with that being why a kid would base his decision on weather he wins a NC or not..its the tangibles that get you where you want to go..

FROMTHE18's picture

sure you want to PLAY for a national title team rather than ride the pine. Don't get me wrong, Waller is a great prospect, I just don't know if Bama will use him as a QB. Philip Sims (transferred to UVA) is a prime example. Highly recruited, mobile QB, barely sniffed playing time at Bama. Bama loves true pro-style QBs and they have quite a few, so in any case, whether its pecking order or just his style of play, Waller will be buried in the depth chart if he goes to Bama rather than being able to compete for a starting spot early in his career at ND. If you are a top prospect, you don't pick a school just based on national titles, you need to have a chance to play significant time for a large portion of your career as well. Can he at bama? Possibly, nothings for certain. Will he? I have a hard time thinking he will. 

BuckeyeJ's picture

My TTUN co-worker and I were just discussing Waller. He said that team stream had an article about Waller and this was it 

247Sports rates his pocket presence and intangibles a nine out of 10, and his accuracy and delivery are both at eight. While labeled as a dual-threat QB, Waller can fit into any offensive scheme. His underrated passing ability would allow him to thrive in even a more pro-style system.

would have luved to have this guy, but I am happy with Burrow. Doubt we get TG and the coaches feel there is a big upside to him. I feel that with JT we are sitting pretty good. 

305Buck's picture

Yup, I read on scout that Waller was going throw for throw with Town and Rosen at the NFTC and Elite 11 camp in LA, the top 2 QBs in this class, and the kid has only been playing QB for A YEAR. You think I want him at Alabama? He even beat out Town for an elite 11 invite and The Opening invite.

tussey's picture

If he isn't coming here, I want him to go to Northwestern.  The B1G needs to recruit better and that would be a huge get for the fighting pat fitzgeralds 

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Waller is a dime dropper and whoever nabs him is going to have a good 3-4 years. Wish we could add him to the fray and call it a day.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Doesn't it feel like Tom Herman loves Waller but that Urban loves Gibby and he knows that if we offer Waller and he accepts that we can kiss Gibby goodbye. That's how it looks to me.... maybe I am wrong?

+3 HS
OSU069's picture

Gibby? Sorry I don't know who that is.

sivaDavis's picture

I know they won't take a commitment from a QB unless his last name is Gibson but, I personally believe that ain't gonna happen. And how long can a kid (Waller) wait when he wants to be a part of a class and start recruiting for his school. You start to lose interest after a while, especially when are a top recruit from the west coast. And what I mean by that is they aren't really in our recruiting pipeline. I don't know, I would just much rather take Waller. Gibson is a project who seems too stubborn to realize his true potential at WR and would want to go through his career as a QB. Recruiting is a tough game, so I'll let the coaches do their thing and I'll celebrate whoever's commitment they take.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Good point about opening up a door to the west by getting Waller. I'm like most, I see Waller being better than TG at qb, and I have asked b4 about the ceiling of TG as a qb. I trust in the staff and will not question, because they are the coaches. IMO whoever comes it will sit behind JT ans maybe Collier

+2 HS
Mortc15's picture

I'm in the same mindset about TG. He's just about a lost cause. No major effort to come to Columbus and yet he's visited tennessee multiple times. Is it that hard to come just a little farther north to Columbus for visit? Tennessee has to be halfway or more, depending on where in uf he's from (not sure where his hs is located). They know what they're doing but it sucks to lose a potentially great player in Waller and not even see TG ever make it to cbus for a visit. 

Buck-I4Life

Buck Commander's picture

Well now Gibson is saying Auburn has the edge now over Tennessee....Why go after this Shot in the dark and try for Waller ....If Gibson had any intention on coming here he should've made a visit or committed .unless the Coaching staff knows something we all Don't we should pursue WALLER!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Ahh Saturday's picture

~~unless the Coaching staff knows something we all Don't

Hmmm, doesn't seem likely.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Well, we all know that Fickell doesn't know ANYTHING! #FireFickell

BuckeyeJ's picture

Ditto. Has he even planned another visit to anyone but Tenn