Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Please offer Nick Conner

Soggy_McMuffin's picture
April 27, 2014 at 12:02am
43 Comments

He looked awesome today at rivals camp great in coverage!!

Grande Gustavo's picture

I would man, but at Grande Gustavo Tech we only offer academic scholarships...

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

+10 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Nice lol

Gooz-fra-bah...

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Don't worry Nick, you'll get an offer soon.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
mtrotb's picture

Here we go with the weekly Nick Connor thread.  Any of you people shills for him?  How come no offers from any other big schools?

mtrotb

Hovenaut's picture

Let's talk recruiting?

(Wish you would step back from that ledge my friend...)

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Big mistake by not offering sooner. The big offers will roll in and I think he might commit to another big time  school and we will have missed the bus. Hope I am wrong but this is the scuttlebutt going around the coaching circles.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-2 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Why? We're in on better talent.

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

This is true.   Jerome Baker and Sh'mar Kilby-Lane seem like the top targets.

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Baker, SKL, DeBerry, Hilliard, and a few others are ahead of him on OSU's board. I think he's a very good player and I'd be happy to see him get an offer, but we're in on a bunch of other guys too.

This reminds me of Darron Lee and Kyle Trout. Both guys were on the radar but the staff was in on some better talent until they came in and proved themselves. I bet Nick Conner balls out at a camp for the staff this summer and gets that Buckeye offer.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS

Yes we have guys higher on our board that is undeniable but how many do we have committed? Hilliard is probably "tops" on our list outside of the 2 you mentioned and may be the best LBer in the Nation. We are taking a gamble and rolling the proverbial dice.Hopefully it works out in our favor but I feel Conner is a good enough talent to warrant a offer no matter what.Obviously the staff feels like they can hold off for the moment.

+2 HS
buckeyemale's picture

Heard S Cal and ND pushing hard.He is some what aggravated with OSU offering someone slower then him.

-2 HS
Woodshed's picture

247 is showing an offer from neither of those schools.

+9 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

No offer, but I do recall him saying back in March/early April that S Cal had reached out, Now I doubt they'll be his first real offer considering none of the big Midwest programs have, if for some reason they do then watch out.  Southern Cal is amazing more than words can explain (beach,girls, In N Out and just a place where you wake up and go wow!)

PS, Sry for bringing up IN N OUT on this thread

+1 HS
Jordan Wagner's picture

Yes, Nick told me that USC was showing a lot of interest. Ohio State is definitely showing interest, as well. 

Ludwig Yards's picture

His offers so far are all from mid-level programs. There must be a reason that regional schools like Michigan, MSU, ND, PSU, Nebraska, or any other major programs have not offered him yet.

Becool12's picture

Many top colleges wait for another college to offer then follow suit. Look at James Clark when we offered him late in the season. And Sam Hubbard and Curtis Samuel.

Woodshed's picture

I don't understand the logic. So OSU should be the first big time school to offer him why? To start a trend? All other programs have access to the camps, videos, etc but have yet to offer. He is also from ohio so you KNOW if mich, PSU, etc wanted him they would love to get an offer to him before OSU does. We know how mich (for one) loves to play the "they don't really want you" card.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

My logic was that offers aren't everything. And I said that many top colleges seem to offer prospects after other top colleges offer. I didn't say OSU should offer to see if anyone else would offer. I think OSU should offer because he is a great prospect. 

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

We have offered 15 LB and none of them Nick. Some of them are 3* and slower and smaller. That said I have faith our coaches know what they want. I wonder when he gets a few really good offers and he will, if we don't step up. There was some things said on other postings that he might have anger problems. I don't know if it is true or not but it might be the problem. Can it be worse than EGW?

-6 HS
703Buckeye's picture

It's really unfair to speculate on something like that. Do you have any actual proof Nick has anger issues?

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
OneOfOver475000's picture

He doesn't have anger issues at all. He's a good kid with great grades and a mean streak on the field. There are some reasons he has not been offered to this point, none are in his control and not for discussion amongst us. Glad to hear he did well at camp.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

That's exactly what I have been hearing about Nick. Never hears a rumor about anger issues till the comment I responded to.

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

I said it's what I read here on eleven warriors recently, not what I think. For the record I want him as a buckeye and am disappointed he hasn't been offered but I'm not the coach.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Where did you read it on 11W? Was it from a reliable source or just plain users like us?

allinosu's picture

Like us. I'm just trying to figure out what about him is causing not to get big offers when on film and paper he seems better than most.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

How's the competition he's playing against?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

allinosu's picture

They played the Westerville and Worthington schools, Maryville, Canal etc.

Jordan Wagner's picture

I don't know about any anger issues. Right now, Ohio State has higher prospects on their board. The staff is aware he would probably commit on the spot. If OSU misses out on a few top targets, they'll offer and accept his commitment. It's one of those situations where they don't want to have to turn away an Ohio prospect that has an offer, or stop recruiting him like Settle. 

ab1993's picture

I talked to him a while back and it seemed like he is patiently waiting for the offer, don't think he's frustrated. Smart kid who understands the process

+3 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

He is well worth an offer and should be a solid player for you guys. 

+2 HS
2002osubuck's picture

Agree and we really need to offer CJ Conrad ASAP with Clarke looking at scUM. Think both are solid players we need to offer and lockup before someone else does.

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

N. Carolina and now ttun, Mr. Clark is trippin'

Gooz-fra-bah...

SilverBullet-98's picture

The most Anger Issues I have seen are Ohio St. Fans who loved to see Ohio kids playing for Ohio State.

Maybe that's a Old Fashioned way of thinking and Recruiting, but that element of a fanbase will always exist.

When its late in the season, or 4th Quarter vs MSU... I take Nick Conner over a kid from another region.

We shouldn't have to split hairs, this kid is rank high and wants to be a Buckeye. I know it's early, and life isn't fair. This is a kid I REALLY WANT TO SEE IN S n G !!!

This kids will make that play late in the 4th Q with game on the line.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS

GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Right on the money Silver Bullet!

in a year or two from now kid will be a beast.

Gooz-fra-bah...

-1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

To offer Conner would be to admit defeat on Hilliard, and I do not think the staff is to that point yet. If Hilliard commits to ND before summer, Conner will get his offer, IMO. 

Disclaimer - I may have no idea what I am talking about.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

otrain2416's picture

First I wanna say when all said and done I have complete trust in Urban and his staff in their evaluation and that they are going to land us the best talent for Ohio State. However, I would like to point out and find it interesting all the 4-5 star "out of state LBs studs" ( Cam Williams, David Perkins, Mike Mitchell, Trey Johnson) have had little if any impact thus far or transferred while our "in state 3-4 star talent" ( Josh Perry, Darron Lee, Chris Worley) are starting or battling for starting positions as a linebacker this upcoming season. 

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture
  1. Josh Perry was a high four-star, pretty sure he was higher ranked than Trey was.
  2. Darron Lee and Chris Worley both redshirted last year. They had big springs, but so did Raekwon McMillan, a 5-star out of state stud.
  3. Trey Johnson played well last year when he was in, and everyone forgets that Perkins was a beast on special teams as a frosh.
  4. Cam Williams was a 3-star on most services IIRC.

I get that everyone loves an underdog story, but the whole "Oh, give me a 3-star from Ohio over a 5-star from Florida" thing is kind of ridiculous. Any recruit that comes here obviously wants to be here. For every Dane Sanzenbacher there's a Verlon Reed or a Luke Roberts. 

Would anyone here trade Raekwon McMillan for Noah Furbush? Or Dontre Wilson for Rob Wheelright? Or Vonn Bell for Caleb Day?

I get it, we haven't had a commitment for a while, but let's not complain about Ohio kids not getting offers when the staff is in a great position with other targets, and before OSU has even hosted FNL.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

1) I acknowledged that the in state guys were 4 stars too. Trey was ranked 108 in the overall 247 composite and Perry was 132 overall so he was not ranked higher

2) I made no mention of Raekwon because I didn't say anything about the 2014 class. So far the majority of them aren't here. Raekwon has done well thus far and I'm excited for his future. 

3) Trey played decent (for a true freshman) when he was in there, but from the sounds of it already got passed up by two Ohioans (Worley & Lee). I agree Perkins played well on special teams but aside from his hit on Brutus never made an impact on defense.

4) Cam Williams was a .929 on 247s composite, so yes he was a solid 4 star.

I get there are kids we miss on from Ohio (Luke Roberts), but said nothing about take a Ohio 3 star over Florida 5 star. I stated I trust the staff and their evaluation, I was just pointing out something about the linebackers we brought in with Urban's first two classes that I found interesting and true thus far. 

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Didn't mean to attack you personally, I just think the "OMG GIVE ME A 3-STAR OHIO KID OVER A 5-STAR KID BECAUSE THEY WANT IT MORE" is a really dumb meme, and people always throw it around in March/April.

I like seeing underrated prospects succeed, I really do, and it's always nice to see Ohio kids get their offers. I just don't think it's a good idea to offer kids before they camp here and when there are other guys higher on the staff's board. If a kid's film isn't impressive enough to warrant an offer on its own, the staff should absolutely wait to see him camp.

If Conner comes to FNL and balls out, and the staff thinks he's on par with Baker/SKL, then yeah, they should offer him, absolutely. But until then, the staff looks to be in a great position to land three of Baker/SKL/DeBerry/Hilliard. 

otrain2416's picture

You're fine. I was just making an observation not a radical statement. I agree out board right now looks like 1a) Hillard, Baker, Kilby-Lane 1b) Nick Connor. I think at this point if Connor is balling out at these rivals camps against top competition he deserves an offer although he said he would be willing to camp and earn an offer. I know the staff wants 3 LBs in this class. I'm just think if the talent presents itself take 4 LBs and eventually slide someone down to DE if it comes to a point the LBs are too saturated with talent. 

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I think they miss on Hilliard. I hope I am wrong, but history with St. X (and Moeller for that matter), and Cincinnati as a whole, does not bode well for OSU. However, I think it's smart and wait until he makes it official, because you just never know, and Hilliard might buck the trend.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

SilverBullet-98's picture

With the new defense I think we will see 3 LB's on the field , the "STAR" position is gone.

Our LB is going to be in the Darron Lee, Chris Worley mold.

Mike will still be a thumper but has to be good in pass coverage, and Boundary is gotta be fast, rangy and physical.

Where does Conner fit into them 3 styles?

I see him as a Mike LB definitely. I see Hubbard as a field Lb and Kilby Lane as a Mike or Boundary LB.

That leaves Kyle Berger Field-side or Boundary? Trey Johnson? My guess is field.Booker most likely a Mike or Boundry. Baker is definitely a field side LB.

That's wht I think it comes down to Hilliard  or Conner. Hillard would be a Boundary LB.

I really see Ohio State taking only 2 LBs in this class unless they get the right 3 which is Hilliard-Boundary/Lane-Mike or Boundary/Baker-Feild.

The new quarters defense infused Darron Lee and Worley from the Safety/Star to Field LB. Adding 2 more LB's.

That's why I think they might only take two LBs this year. I really like Conner, the kid can flat out play!!!

I think it's a scheme and numbers thing, this is jmho.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS