Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson....Big News

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
March 25, 2014 at 7:02pm
132 Comments
Alpo's picture

Huge news! I sure hope he gets up to Columbus for a visit soon and commits on the spot! Thanks for being on top of everything Birm, per usual!!!

+3 HS
ab1993's picture

I also sent him a tweet about Clemson bringing in the top 2014 DT QB... and he FAVORITED IT.

So Clemson is basically out of this, right?

Class of '16

+9 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Let's Hope so!!!!!!!!!!

Mercurius's picture

That is some exciting news! So when is his upcoming visit to Columbus?

Here's hoping he picks the good guys. He is really active with other recruits too; natural leader.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

What does he consider early?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
InTressITrust's picture

So now the question becomes what is early?

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

Killer nuts's picture

...and who does he commit too?

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I don't know, he's saying this just after visiting Auburn. I don't think he comes to Ohio State. That's just my gut feeling.

+3 HS
ab1993's picture

jesus, people on here want to act like recruiting experts. you have no idea, leave the speculation to Birm

Class of '16

-10 HS
OSUStu's picture

Yeah, if people start expressing opinions on recruiting message boards, things might really get out of hound.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+44 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

And then there's Stu - laying the wood

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Note to self:  people love snarky comments.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
AndyVance's picture

...and people miss Houndie references. Long Live The Houndie!

+5 HS
OSUStu's picture

Long live the Houndie, Indeed.

+2 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I wouldn't put too much stock into my opinion lol. I am no expert, but I was just sharing my thoughts. I don't know, it just seems like we have a ton of competition for Gibson. I think it will be a tough battle for him, but I hope Urban can win it.

+3 HS

Number one ranked athlete in the country, competition is par for the course when you're recruiting this level of prospect.

Torrance confirmed via text with me that this means he won't wait until after the season like originally planned. He said a mid-summer commitment is now likely, as I suspected all along. I think he'll know his choice after he makes his Buckeye visit. 

cdkmike's picture

i dont like this dont think he coming up north but hope im wrong

Michael green

-1 HS

What, pray tell, would make you feel such doom and gloom because of this change of heart? 

My guess is that 2 minute white out that happened in Columbus at 4pm. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+8 HS
toad1204's picture

Don't know how much to read into Birms sarcasm...  So I'll just embrace it. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Anchor man cometh. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

A 24 hour sports network will never work

+8 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Who needs that when we have 11W?

+7 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Stop ....Just Stop - that's hilarious

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Always happy to amuse you, my Northwest freind. 

+1 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Getting my responses ready for this summer:

Commits to OSU: he was a lock the whole time ....long live Urbs ....F U SEC .... Go Bucks!

Doesn't commit to OSU: he wasn't a good fit here anyway .....I think we were secretly recruiting him as a receiver so we could get Wimbush here .....he's the real target ...good luck losing to the Buckeyes asshole ...#BlameFickell

+26 HS
buckeyedude's picture

That's the spirirt!

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Preemptively striking...nothing like planning ahead. #FickellIsTheReasonItsStillSnowing

+4 HS

In my opinion, this is great news either way. If he chooses the Buckeyes, they've got their man and he can begin recruiting heavily for them. If he chooses elsewhere, they've not waited all year only to be left at the alter. Good news either way.

osu07asu10's picture

Birm, you play it close to the vest and I know that plays a major role in the trust recruits have in you and 11w.

That being said, I think after these last few years I can get a pretty good handle on your feelings towards a recruit and quite frankly, I'm pretty excited for his announcement.

Still a long way to go but I have to believe we're sitting in great shape right now.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS

Yeah, in no way do I see this decision by Gibson as a bad thing.

PittBuckeye's picture

And as of today which one of those options should we be expecting? Is it a 50/50 thing? 60/40?

jamesrbrown322's picture

If Gibson goes elsewhere, does the staff still take 2 QBs no matter what?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

The Clean North's picture

I agree. We need whoever our QB is going to be as early as we can so he can start to recruit other players around him. From what I've seen at other schools the past few seasons, other recruits seem to rally around a highly rated QB/ATH. 

+1 HS
Mercurius's picture

I'd love to get him and Damien Harris to visit at the same time.

+4 HS

I am sure that whenever Torrance decides to visit Ohio State, the Buckeyes will be working overtime to get Damien on campus again at the same time.

Seattle Linga's picture

They can have a throw off for the starting position - haha

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

Damien is a running back.....

Class of '16

+3 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Along with Christian Kirk i hope :)

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

Gibson, Kirk, & Harris LLP

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Either way he's helping us by deciding early....sounds good to me.

+14 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Yep, either we get him or we have time to work on getting someone else.  Wouldn't that be sweet if we get the #1 dual threat QB and #1 RB!

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Great point! Let's hope the kid picks the buckeyes and stays healthy. 

I season my simple food with hunger

cdkmike's picture

birm do u think he visits us 

Michael green

I don't see anyway that Gibson doesn't visit Ohio State before he makes his choice.

PittBuckeye's picture

Not Birm (much better looking though) but from everything everyone's said it seems like he will absolutely visit. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I type way too slow.

+1 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Worry not, friend. You're not the first one to get beat to the punch by Birm, and you won't be the last

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Better to be (verbally) beaten by the punch, than to be punched and beaten by Birm.

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
sgehrich's picture

He has had OSU at the top of his list all along. I think this is great news for us. 

+1 HS
cdkmike's picture

remember hurd from last year everywhere i was reading he was osu lock if he had just left osu i would feel lot better about this what made him change his mind

Michael green

+1 HS

He's a QB. He is being told everywhere he goes that as a leader he needs to get a decision made to become a leader for his class. Simple. Hurd was a Tennessee guy, who loved Tennessee, nothing wrong with that.

FitzBuck's picture
To Birm:
“He’s a 10-foot tall beast man who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi,”

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+14 HS
FitzBuck's picture

"Did I ever tell you about the time (Birm) took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally, (Birm) takes me into a vacant lot and says, 'Here we are.' Well, we sat there for a year and a half. Sure enough, someone constructed a bar around us. Well, the day they opened it, we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burnt the place to the ground. (Birm) yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found them!'"

To Birm!

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+17 HS
RoyMunson's picture

If I could transfer my entirety of helmet stickers I would have.

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

So Fitz and Birm were there the day they built Papa Joes... Hmmm.

Go Bucks!

+5 HS
gumtape's picture

He's a QB. He is being told everywhere he goes that as a leader he needs to get a decision made to become a leader for his class. Simple.

Just like Pryor.

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

ChazBuckeye's picture

I smell something good coming in Mid Summer time...Sweeeeeet!

Some people think we’re the hunted.I don’t feel that way at all.We’re the hunter.Everybody wants an angry football team.Everybody wants a team on edge and a hungry team.If you’re a hunter,that usually equates to being hungry.

+6 HS
gumtape's picture

Man, you can't go Chang on us and leave out Annie.

Feeling giddy...

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+6 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

I have no idea what's she's saying... But does it matter? ("That's not the point" if I had to guess)

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+11 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

She's talking? - I didn't notice...............

+3 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

I think she's saying "it's not a coin slot"........

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+8 HS
BuckeyeSouth's picture

That's it, Bleed wins the internet today.

Embrace it.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
Toledo,  let's see if this helps clear things up...
+15 HS
SoCalBuck26's picture

Who is this yummy lady?

Devin1024's picture

Alison Brie...In all her glory!

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I gotta start watching more television.

+3 HS
BuckeyeinToledo's picture

Much much better....

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."

-Woody Hayes

+1 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Houston we have liftoff!

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

cinserious's picture

"That's NOT 'gonna work this time."

She's responding to my cheesy pick up lines... Hey, at least it worked last time!

Gone ham, be back soon...

buckeyedude's picture

Whatever it is she's saying, I agree completely.

Wowie.

+4 HS
cdkmike's picture

ty birm i feel lil better now go bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael green

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I just hope this frickin weather warms up in time for his OV.

Damonbuckeye's picture

Thanks Birm for the updates....

+1 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I always find myself wishing that I could upvote the staff, but then they get paid the big bucks and I guess they are self-confident enough that they don't need affirmation. But seriously, thanks for your perspective, Birm, and this goes for all of the people that make this site great.

+5 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Hey Birm,

Who is the main competition for TG?  Is the picture pretty much set, or is it possible for another school to come in to play?

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

Miami and Tennessee according to Torrance.

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I see this as an OSU vs Miami battle. A friend of mine is a huge UT fan who follows their recruiting and he hasn't ever mentioned Torrance Gibson's name. This is all just my opinion anyway. 

buckeyedude's picture

I like our chances against those two.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Auburn,Tenn,and Miami are all legitimate threats to tOSU here. Wouldnt surprise me to see a couple other snakey southern schools push their way in either like a LSU or a Florida.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

There is a huge threat from Auburn and Tennessee. 

LEBRON

+14 HS
ab1993's picture

Both LSU and Florida both got highly rated QBs for 2014. I could see it being Auburn being that he fits their offense rather well and some quarterback named Cam went there.

Class of '16

bleedscarlet's picture

He's tweeted that the long trips have him reconsidering his future, possibly more the reason than anything else. Being recruited so heavily has to be a grind sometimes....... boy, that kid can fly though... holy crap

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

If one really wanted too they could take those type tweets as purely bad news. If the long trips have him reconsidering his future it very well could have meant he planned on going pretty far from home but now wants to stay closer so his family doesnt make the far trips. I hate twitter because 10 different people could get ten different meanings out of a single tweet.And all be reasonably right.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture
+8 HS

Who is she?

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

That is Addison Timlin.  She played Sasha Bingham in Californication.  You can find some interesting gifs and pics on a google search.  Enjoy.

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

If the Bucks secure Gibson's commitment in the summer, we will knock it outta the park the rest of the year in recruiting as he will help bring in so much talent. Possibly 3 times the amount of 5* in one recruiting class as Urban has pulled in since he's been here. This will be the hands down #1 class in the country we have been expecting all along. Since 2012 its been top 3 classes but 2015 will set a new trend!

Gone ham, be back soon...

+5 HS
bafiesta's picture

I think we will struggle to reach top 3 this year even with Gibson.  It's a down year in Ohio and much of the top OH talent we will have to fight tooth and nail for.  We don't seem to be in on as many out of state players who will commit before summer ends either.  Gibson will help pull things together earlier, but we are fighting an uphill battle for this class.

YoungBUCK14's picture

W/o a Gibson commit you could be right about not cracking the top 3, on the other hand if we can secure the top DT QB from the loaded state of FL early in the process, the players will begin stacking up commits w/ the beyond 40 offers i believe just within FL. along w/ a few others Damien Harris, Christian Kirk, Van Jefferson, Tim Settle, Jashon Cornell, Marcus Lewis, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Hale Hentges, Beckner Jr., Chris Clark, DeBerry, Roundtree. etc.. etc.. (5-10 OH) and the myriad of OL who are destined to be Buckeyes,  we could be looking at a super class fighting for the #1

"as long as you're keeping score we're going to try to win" - UFM

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

YoungBUCK14's picture

Damn double post ! Go Bucks

BUCKEYE BORN AND BRED

Li Xiao Buckeye's picture

I think this is more indicative of him wanting to be a leader in the class than where he wants to go.  Let's hope it's north (but not too far north)!

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. - Bruce Lee

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

It's still snowing in TSUN. I'm more worried about Auburn and Miami somewhat. Would be shocked if he ended up in Knoxville.

MagicBuc's picture
+1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

Good guys all day long

+2 HS
buckeyeradar's picture

Birm got it right again.  The best case scenario is get Torrance in early and build around him from nationwide top recruits who like to commit later.  It kind of creates a natural magnetic field.

Buckeye in Texas

gemcitybuckeye's picture

I think it's win-win, regardless. He commits to us mid-summer and helps bring those southern five stars into the class with him.  OR, the worst case scenario happens and UFM can put his effort into the next one on the list.  With plenty of time to do so.....  I think he comes here, though. I also think this will be the best recruiting class (on paper) so far...which is absolutely crazy!!! 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Come on down Mr. Gibson.

ITWASME's picture

I think you mean up

Buck Commander's picture

I saw that when Chris Clark is supposed to make a visit Urban Will not be on  Campus?????

TE Chris Clark tells me he will likely visit #OhioState on April 25. http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Board/120/Chris-Clark-Visit-Date-26738223 … (AAVIP)

1:27 PM - 25 Mar 2014
But pump the breaks. Clark tells our Miles Joseph that as it turns out, Urban Meyer won't be on campus that originally scheduled weekend. He's still expected to take a visit to Ohio State soon, though.

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

GoBucksOSU's picture

I have a good feeling about this.

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Got a great feeling about this.

Him visiting later is actually better for us, IMO. First, all these visits the past few weeks are drop by visits. Doesn't spend a ton of time on campus and is taking many many visits in a short period of time. So he will get to have a personal visit where he is not concerned with where he is going next. Second, it will be closer to the summer when it is warmer. Finally, it will be closer to he decision date. Most of these visits should be out of his mind.

Plus I think he already has a good idea of where he wants to go. After taking some of these visits he's realizing its not as exciting as he thought it would be. My guess is after he visits he'll know for sure he wants to be a Buckeye.

Then he will be a leader for this class and recruit other elite talent to us with him (South Florida guys like Peete, McFadden and SKL who could already be committed by the time TG commits, Harris, Kirk, etc).

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Got a great feeling about this.

Him visiting later is actually better for us, IMO. First, all these visits the past few weeks are drop by visits. Doesn't spend a ton of time on campus and is taking many many visits in a short period of time. So he will get to have a personal visit where he is not concerned with where he is going next. Second, it will be closer to the summer when it is warmer. Finally, it will be closer to he decision date. Most of these visits should be out of his mind.

Plus I think he already has a good idea of where he wants to go. After taking some of these visits he's realizing its not as exciting as he thought it would be. My guess is after he visits he'll know for sure he wants to be a Buckeye.

Then he will be a leader for this class and recruit other elite talent to us with him (South Florida guys like Peete, McFadden and SKL who could already be committed by the time TG commits, Harris, Kirk, etc).

Mortc15's picture

I have a feeling that Gibson just wanted to make sure he wasn't missing anything with most of his spring break visits. Maybe a team or 2 from that list gets into the picture, but with visiting so many back to back, I'm inclined to think that his 3 favorites before the trip will stay the same after the trip.

Buck-I4Life

Buckeye06's picture

Birm can you respond to this:

Woody Wommack, Rivals' SE recruiting analyst said this about Gibson:

"I tend to agree with this. When I took over the Florida rankings at the beginning of the year I was pounding the table for Gibson at QB. Then I went to see him at two different events and he didn't take one snap at quarterback. 

Generally, when it comes to 7x7 tournaments, the key is to have an accurate quarterback. Gibson plays WR on his team, while a guy with one FIU offer continues to take all the snaps at QB. I have no doubts that Gibson is a dynamic athlete who plays quarterback, but I'm really starting to get nervous of his fit at certain places, especially if accuracy is the No. 1 priority."

How does his accuracy compare to Braxtons at a similar age? Is it fixable and do you think he's a long term project at QB (not starting until like his junior year?)

BassDropper's picture

At this stage, Braxton was further along in his development. 

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
SilverState's picture

"Seems" as if he's enjoying his Tenn visit. (Seems like Urban and our offense, and chance at national championships would ultimately prove more appealing.) Hard to tell whether he has a legit interest, or is enjoying Vol fans...

...though I guess you don't make multiple visits if you don't have a legit interest? Time for Urban to up the game. 

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

legit interested. IMO, the Vols have taken the lead from the Buckeyes and I think it happened a while a ago. 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

The Tennessee/Gibson connection reminds me of the Raekwon/Ohio State connection. From very early on Raekwon would only tweet about the Buckeyes, just like Gibson is doing with the Vols. Judging by Gibson's twitter page 90% of his college tweets are about the Vols, just like 90% of Raewon's tweets were about the Bucks

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
ab1993's picture

...and none of his Crystal Ball predictions have been changed to the Vols... OSU still leads at 67%. I can't stand when people try to analyze a situation like this when they aren't an insider. Leave it to Birm to speculate

Class of '16

-1 HS
mh277907's picture

Leave it to Birm to speculate 

Am I allowed speculate that he comes to Ohio State?

buckeyebobcat

Mercurius's picture

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that he is visiting Tennessee today.

Weren't you also worried about Marcelys Jones? :/

BassDropper's picture

no.... I don't spend my time "worrying" about 17 year old kids I don't know. 

DIRECTIONER

buckeyeguy0615's picture

I also remember BassDropper freaking out and swearing up and down that Raekwon wasn't coming here, coincidentally...

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

So you're saying Gibson's a lock then...

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

He'll never answer you - it's just "His Opinion"

BassDropper's picture

So since I'm not aloud to share an opinion on here, and Birm's word is the only one that matters (no offense intended Birm), how about this tweet....

but go ahead, continue to down vote me for stating an opinion.

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS

Yea you big dummy,why the hell would you log on to a message board to share such diabolical speculation.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

And on top of that....the crystal balls are never wrong !

Buck-I4Life

ab1993's picture

They're not just guesses based off of Twitter though. They are from insiders who actually talk to the recruits

Class of '16

-1 HS
mh277907's picture

Sharing opinions in a reasonable and respectful manner is perfectly acceptable. None of us are insiders and "insiders" themselves would tell you that they are just guessing most of the time. 

buckeyebobcat

BassDropper's picture

What would you rather believe, words coming from a man (in this case a kid) first hand, or a bunch of people speculating and guessing about what the kid is thinking?

Don't get me wrong, I follow the crystal ball, and I like the crystal ball for entertainment purposes; however, I'm smart enough to not put much stock in the crystal ball. 247 ran an article after signing day talking about how recruits (I remember Travis Rudolph being one of them) were telling 'insiders' they were leaning one way, but in reality they were leaning the other way. 247's crystal ball is taking the element of surprise out of most of these kids recruitment, so they are finding a way to beat the system and actually have that surprise commitment. I'm sure some of the our resident insiders can confirm that kids are playing this game.

DIRECTIONER

buckny's picture

Torrance Gibson ‏@quick_tg6

S/O to the #1 running back in the country @Damien_D1Harris he is showing high interest in Tennessee #VolNation

Josh Darrow‏@joshdarrow

Tenn & Auburn made biggest impressions on Gibson @quick_tg6; LSU will be taken more seriously; Ohio State is dropping...

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I just want a QB who can read defenses and go through progressions. Whoever that is... Sign him up! 

+4 HS

Cant see Damien going to UT when they signed 3 RBs just last class including 2 top 10 caliber backs in Jalen Hurd and Derrell Scott...They do have scouts #1 WR committed for this class though. And in last 2014 and so far 2015 they have a ton of offensive talent signed and committed but no QBs. Very interesting to say the least.

SilverState's picture

Keeps changing his commitment date: 

+1 HS