Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Luke Kennard Announcing Tomorrow...

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
March 23, 2014 at 5:06pm
97 Comments

745pm. We're thinking Duke, UK, Ohio State and Michigan are the finalists - Kennard told Corey Albertson from Rivals.com

KBonay's picture

Maybe the departures of Ross & ADV make Buckeyes & early pt a nice option?

+2 HS
36buck's picture

Like adv would cost him minutes here.  Funny

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I think you just poked the bear 36 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercurius's picture

I really hope to see Mickey Mitchell and Luke Kennard playing together.

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Is Mickey still coming? With Mike leaving?

UFM_Renewal

ab1993's picture

He reaffirmed his commitment not too long ago

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Don't want to be a douche but do you have a link?

LEBRON

-1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

I'm curious about this as well cause last I heard nobody had heard or knew anything about Mickey's commitment status. 

FWIW: i don't put much stock in crystal ball predictions, but he has picks for Baylor and SUM from last month on 247.

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

When was the last time he visited Ohio State?

Buckeye fan from PA

Buckeye Chuck's picture

"I think people will be surprised. I've been leaning this way for a while."

Those two sentences seem to be contradictory. 

If he ends up elsewhere, which seems to be the consensus, at least it's happening early enough that we can get in on various Plan Bs. 

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I think it just means people wouldn't have thought whatever team was the one, but he's thought they were for awhile.

Buckeye Chuck's picture

I thought everyone has been assuming "Duke," although that might just be a case of folks figuring that Coach K typically gets the white players he really wants (sorry to put it that way, but it's true). Throw in this announcement coming not long after Kennard's visit to Durham, I think that's a reasonable assumption.

I'm a little curious as to when Krzyzewski's age (he'll be 68 by the time Kennard starts college) begins to work against him in recruiting. I remember when Ray Meyer was the coach at DePaul in the Mark Aguirre years, and he seemed like the oldest guy in college sports, but he was younger then than Coach K is now.

+3 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

I think that means Kentucky, since people "think" he's going to Duke.

Seattle Linga's picture

Luke - you know what you want to do - Make the best fan base real happy and give us something to rejoice after.

brandonbauer87's picture

If the basketball fans around here are a representation of the whole, we're definitely not the best fans. Lots of bitchin'. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Careful there ............ Duke fan base is in an uproar and they won't be happy til heads are on a platter. 

+3 HS
Duccivespucci's picture

I bet he goes to the state up north. That offense fits his skill set better. They were in the championship game last year and have a legit shot this year. His players seem to develop and put up good numbers. Their offense is more "fun" and a lot more flashy. That's what teen kids like now days, short attention span and flashy things.

i just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I friggin hate that school. Don't be like those people up there, kid. Arrogant for no reason. Not as good as they think they are. Go Buckeyes

Michael

+4 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Nothing would be worse than ttun getting a better version of Stauskas.

LEBRON

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Matta should drive his ass down to Franklin and beg. 

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

don't think it'd be that big of a surprise if he chose OSU, so not to get too involved in tweets/quotes, but this seems like a non-OSU selection…hope Im way off.

InvertMyVeer's picture

IDK, we've always been mentioned as one of the schools in the mix for him but never as the leader. Let's hope the kid wants to stay close to home.

Football is complicated...

Knarcisi's picture

I'm preparing myself that we are not getting him. Shame on Matta and this staff. 

+4 HS
Bolt's picture

It's not like they didn't try...sometimes kids decide they'd rather go to school elsewhere. 

+2 HS
TheShookster's picture

It would suck to miss out on Kennard. No question. But I think what you also need to look at is how spectacularly the 2011 class has pretty much flamed out. Were these guys overrated to begin with, or have they not been coached well enough? I love Matta but as a fan you also have the right to ask these questions. If the 2011 class performed to expectation then we wouldn't be as worried about Kennard going elsewhere. 

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

And who's fault is that?  It's either the kid (or in our case, a group of kids), the scouting, or the development. 2 of those lie in this staff. And the fact that it is the whole class, I think we have our answer. 

+2 HS
TheShookster's picture

I agree completely. 

+2 HS
allbucksallthetime's picture

I also agree completely.  Like it or not, this staff is not what it was just a couple of years back.  In particular, we have really missed Chris Jent and John Groce IMO.  John Groce saw something in LaVert as the OU coach and I believe had he been on the staff at tOSU that he would have recruited LaVert here, too.  To me, this one example represents a pattern of misses in terms of evaluating talent that is at the heart of what's missing at tOSU.  

Not every young man in Ohio wants to be a Buckeye, but you have to believe that many more do want to be Buckeyes than don't.  In basketball, a 'miss' in recruiting is HUGE, and, to me, far too many kids from Ohio are excelling in other places for this to be anything but a staff issue.  The lack of development is another issue but also a significant shortcoming at this point in time.  

That said, Thad Matta has done a terrific job at tOSU but any head coach is only as good as his staff.  I also believe that it will now take two good recruiting classes in a row to make up for the misses and lack of depth/experience that will be on next year's roster.  I surely hope I am wrong.  Go Bucks!

+5 HS
TheShookster's picture

I hope after the Dayton game Matta was on the phone with Anthony Lee and Myles Turner. Amir is a better basketball player and athlete then I could ever hope to be, and yes he has "improved" since his freshman year but what the hell did the staff see in him??

+5 HS
Bolt's picture

@shookster

It wasn't just Matta and the staff here...everyone was high on him. I mean he was a McD's AA. That means analysts were high on him. Considering he had offers (and I just checked) from tOSU, Duke, Florida, Arizona, etc. everyone seemed high on him. Sometimes guys just don't work out. It's unfortunate for us that probably the two biggest guys in this class (Scott and Williams) for us didn't pan out like we'd hoped. 

+1 HS
Buckeye Chuck's picture

I think you have to wonder if the decline in the caliber of our recruits coincides with the departure of Groce. It does seem that could be the case. 

+1 HS
OldColumbusTown's picture

I understand what you're getting at, but let's slow down a little here.  Let's not crown others as the masterminds behind Thad Matta's recruiting.  John Groce recruited Caris LaVert to OU, and after taking the Illinois job he liked LaVert so much... that he did not offer him a scholarship to Illinois once LaVert was allowed out of his letter of intent to OU.  Let's not paint too wide a brush here - everyone missed on LaVert, and the only reason he ended up at Michigan is because they had an opening late, and he was always known as a shooter.  Beilein will take those types of guys any day of the week.

UrbanCulture's picture

Why don't we recruit shooters? I'm kinda tired of recruiting people that can jump high and run really fast. The game has, and always will be, about buckets.

+1 HS
allbucksallthetime's picture

Thank you for your respectful response.  I don't think I am getting too far ahead of things here nor painting with too broad a brush. In recruiting basketball players, the work and eyes of an assistant coach are instrumental in bringing a young man onto the radar screen. Kids are exposed through not only their high school seasons but also through AAU competition during April and in summer evaluation periods, including summer league play, team camps, and on the summer all-star circuits.  Assistant coaches are a significant part of the process.  

Recruiting is a staff event and Coach Matta is the leader.  His tenure has been marked by great consistency.  However, the lifeblood of any program is recruiting and Coach Matta can't see them all.  He needs eyes and ears he can trust for good information and to find recruiting nuggets like LaVert along the way.  It's just my belief that far too many Ohio kids are playing well at other major programs and I honestly do not recall that ever happening before the last couple of years.

While Groce may not have offered LaVert at Illinois, though I do not know that for fact, that doesn't mean he didn't see him as having a big upside.  He may have had scholarship limitations at Illinois to deal with, too, or players already offered by the previous staff he had to honor.  

If LaVert was always known as a shooter, and having watched just about every Buckeye game this year, it puzzles me even more how he wasn't recruited at tOSU.  This Buckeye edition was devoid of shooters, as we all know, and that issue should have been rectified in recruiting along the way.  Go Bucks!

Poison nuts's picture

He hasn't even committed yet & he's been written off as not committing to OSU & that the staff is no good?

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+2 HS
actionstanleyjackson's picture

I think the surprise angle is more aimed at people thinking he is a lock for Kentucky. I fully expect it to be Duke

Matta should immediately offer Ahrens. 

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

+2 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Just completes his Duke visit. Coach K gets some phone time after the loss. Makes sense. 

d1145fresh's picture

I know a couple of guys who coach in the Dayton area and they have always said it was their thought he would go to UK. Not too sure how solid their 'sources' were on that but that is just the info they have been told. I think he would do great in Scarlet and Grey but who knows. It is a shame he doesn't play with some of our commits on the same AAU team so they could form a good bond. 

James F's picture

He plays on the same AAU team as current class of 15 commit AJ Harris and they are good friends, see the first comment from when Harris committed.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/08/24575/ohio-state-basketball-recrui...

+1 HS
buckeyewiseman's picture

Seems like all this depends on who he believes people think is the perceived "favorite." I say, that if he thinks everyone believes Duke is the favorite then I think it could be an OSU selection. If he thinks everyone believes UK is the fav then it could be a Duke selection.... But again I am ALL speculation haha. Amazing what recruiting will bring to your head! Just hope he picks the Scarlet and Grey! 

Ashtabula's picture

This would be a huge pick-up but Duke seems to be the rumor around his AAU circle.

ohhiyo's picture

IIRC his family is from kentucky, he lives in ohio, Coach K is Coach K. I believe ttun would be the real surprise here.

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

From all of the recruiting "experts" that have made predictions, almost all have predicted Duke so I believe (unless he is just trying to stir the pot) that that means Duke will not be the choice. Not only is AJ Harris committed to the Buckeyes and an AAU teammated, but wasn't the last visit that Kennard took to Ohio State? I'm predicting Buckeyes on this one. 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

Last visit was duke.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

He would be a beloved player and "the man" at OSU, unlike the other schools --- where he'd be just another recruit to them.

If he chooses OSU, I hope he's an All-American.

If he chooses somewhere else, I hope we shut him down if we play that team. But, then again, that's basically how I am with every recruit.

-1 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

My take is it will be either Michigan or Duke. I think he doesn't want to go where is "expected", which means Ohio State as an Ohio kid and Kentucky as from his family full of Kentucky fans. I also think he wants to go to a school with a high academic profile. So, Michigan or Duke. Given that he says he's been leaning "this way" for quite a while, I wouldn't be surprised if it is Michigan. I believe that was one of the first places he visited. Duke has only come on strong of late. 

TheShookster's picture
+2 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Shit just went down.

LEBRON

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Late night tables being turned baby

bethesdabuck's picture

That could mean Ohio State, Kentucky or Michigan. 

+1 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Probably Kentucky. Oh well. Can't blame a kid for wantig to play In that atmosphere

jamesrbrown322's picture

I thought he had been a Kentucky lean for a while. So, as much as it would be great to have him as a Buckeye, I am thinking it's all UK. Have you seen their basketball dorms? Big allure there.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Knarcisi's picture

Man I hope so. That's why I'm fretting so much. He's the type of player we have needed for a few years now. 

PittBuckeye's picture

It's been awhile since I've gotten to be worried about a recruit quite like this.

+1 HS
TheShookster's picture

I don't want to be that guy who embeds tweets all the time, but AJ Harris just tweeted that it's a big day tomorrow for his bro and he hopes that he commits to Ohio State

+1 HS
AZBuckeyePhan's picture

nothing in that tweet suggest LK is going to commit to OSU. I simply read it as AJ stating how big of a day it is for his good friend.

Certainly nothing hidden in that message

TheShookster's picture

I wasn't suggesting there was any hidden message, just passing along random information

Go1Bucks's picture

please oh please please oh please please oh please please oh please please oh please please oh please 

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Bags5150's picture

I hope we get Kennard instead of losing him out of state, but I have concerns about him.  He is VERY talented, butthe SWBL is VERY weak competition.  I've watched him since middle school because my hometown here is in the SWBL.  He is ALWAYS the best player by far on the court by default.  He can shoot thats for sure, but needs to get stronger and bigger.  The game he plays in HS will not transition that well to the college game due to his size.  Just my opinion.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

+1 HS
d1145fresh's picture

What part of the SWBL are you from... I'm a fellow SWBL'er myself although I have since moved away. Anyways I feel like a top 15-20 player in the nation is going to be the best kid on the court in any league he plays in. Kennard still put up big numbers against any team he played. He personally reminds me a lot of Diebler in that sense. You can't control the teams you have to face but putting up 40 a game is tough against anyone.

Bags5150's picture

Bellbrook

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson

Ericgobucks's picture

Well, I will definitely keep an eye on Twitter tomorrow in the evening. 

ghalephoto's picture

Luke Kennard will be a Buckeye.  Has always liked Coach Matta and he is exactly the kinda player Matta can make into a solid All-American. 

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Two situations I'm playing out in my head.

1. I took the "shocked" part as everyone has had him as a Buckeye lean at first because of the proximity, then schools like Duke, Kentucky, etc offered so he would choose one of them. But it's really UM and that should shock all of us especially with him being a backyard talent. I wouldn't be shocked if he went to the in state power.

I'm hoping it's the Buckeyes. D'Angelo, KBD, Mitchell maybe later, Kennard and hell maybe Matta pitches it to Turner that all they need is that big man.

2. The not going "that far" from home and "leaning this way for a while" would be me thinking Ohio State. Again a backyard kid that obviously has been around Columbus, visited and probably has had a lot of Buckeye fans around him growing up, he could might as well love the Buckeyes...

I just don't think it is. UM is my pick and I hate typing that.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
southbymidwest's picture

Ugh. You hate typing that and I hate reading it. Anybody but UM. OK, anybody but UM and Indiana. Wait, ok, anybody but UM, Indiana and MSU. Oh, and Wisconsin. Ugh ugh ugh. I could even deal with UK, as they just pull in a certain type of one and done player that probably wouldn't work well at all at OSU. Duke is Duke. 

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Plz just not ttun

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

Steensn? Hello?

Eff it. 

LOCK!

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Noticed quite a few crystal ball picks for Duke this morning. Several have changed their picks from Kentucky to Duke.

VABuckeyeInsanity's picture

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he grew up a UK fan.  Now it seems that he really likes Coach K since the first time they met, and by his twitter statement, I think that's what he means by he has known for awhile.  I guess we shall see though.

+1 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

Wow. If we miss out on Kennard and Bragg, that would say a lot about the way our program is heading for Class of 2015 and in locking up the state of Ohio 

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Unfortunately, I would go ahead and prepare yourself for that. But it's not like Matta isn't trying to land these kids. The draw of Coach K and Calipari to their respective schools is pretty tough to compete against. If I was a top basketball player, it would be tough to say no to playing for them. 

+2 HS
UrbanCulture's picture

Taking a look at the offenses run by the likes of Duke, UK, scUM etc and comparing it to our "throw around the perimiter for 35 seconds hope for a defensive lapse otherwise give it to craft with 5 seconds left on the shot clock" offense, its understandable why elite offensive prospects don't flock to OSU

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

I see what you are saying, and I know a lot of these kids have short memories, but think of what DT, Evan Turner, and Mike Conley did in Thad's offense. DT led the B1G in scoring, and took impossible shots that any high school scorer with swag would dream of his coach letting him take. Thad moved Evan Turner to PG and gave him free rein to improvise, turning a first round NBA pick into a National Player of the Year and #2 pick in the draft. Mike Conley was also allowed to make something happen whenever he felt it was needed. We haven't had a Trey Burke-type on this team since Turner, but when we do again (Anderson Russell?) watch the freedom Thad gives him. It's not Thad's fault that Craft never got the jumper necessary to dominate (College coaches don't/can't teach kids how to shoot, it's too late to change mechanics, and most of it is mental). If Craft could've been a threat from 15+ feet, the entire offense would have opened up.

+8 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

(Anderson Russell?)

Anderson played football. I assume you mean D'Angelo :)

+1 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Haha, thanks. Although, Anderson Russell probably could've gotten some burn at the 3-spot this year. 

+1 HS
That Guy's picture

I like OSU's chances here. Its also important to note that one of Luke's close friends is a freshman pitcher on the baseball team. I will be very interested as I am a franklin native and I am still very much in the dark.

MacG91's picture

Baseball team at OSU?

Mac..yeah

That Guy's picture

Yeah. Travis Lakins. Also a franklin kid

+1 HS
buckeyeEddie27's picture

So what time does this go down?

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

Thanks.  

Skipped right past that initially.

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

MacG91's picture

Thad missed out on the top player from Ohio last year.. A 6-9 Power forward from Cinci went to WVU instead. It says hes from Florida but he went to Withrow High School in Cincinnati. The same school Yancy Gates went too. Can't be missing on the top talent like this if Kennard and Bragg don't come here. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Devin-Williams-12017?Institution=17691

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

It says he played his senior year in Florida at Montverde Academy (the prep school where D'Angelo Russell plays).

FWIW: OSU did land the top Ohio player for 2014 in Jae'Sean Tate.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

FWIW: OSU did land the top Ohio player for 2014 in Jae'Sean Tate.

So? I only want to focus on every player we miss out on!

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
MacG91's picture

That is not my point. I realize who we've gotten. I guess with the success we have had in recent years, letting these players go is ridiculous. 

Mac..yeah

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Let? Ohio State can't force every player to come here.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

You are taking the literal meaning. OSU is a big enough program that should be able to keep top talent in state. 

Mac..yeah

+1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

"Letting them go?"

You make it sound like Matta isn't even trying to recruit them. Duke and Kentucky are elite championship caliber programs and even with the recent success, OSU just isn't on the same level. The pull of Coach K and Calipari would be tough for a kid to turn down. 

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

You are taking the literal meaning. It's more of a phrase. OSU is a big enough program that should be able to keep too talent in state. 

Mac..yeah

tennbuckeye19's picture

It's big, yes. But it's not Duke or Kentucky.

+2 HS
MacG91's picture

Yes I realize that, we should land the too player in ohio. But if Bragg and Kennard both leave that is two 5*s and the best player in the state 2 out of last 3 years we didn't get. I don't know about you but that is not acceptable. 

Mac..yeah

NGBuck21's picture

I just watched Bragg in the State finals this weekend and he he plays exactly like Amir Williams. He plays very soft and gets bullied around the basket. He had a terrible touch around the rim as well. He missed about 4-5 shots right around the rim. Just looked very weak. I would take his teammate Derek Pardon any day. That guy plays tough and physical and knows how to use his 6'8" frame and he fights for rebounds and gets the hustle plays. He potentially, to me, could very well be Amir 2.0. I hope not because the guy has tons of potential/

TU-Rocket Buckeye's picture

okay.., i am not to proud.., Luke, come to Ohio State.., PLEASE........................................................................,

+3 HS
Patriot4098's picture

Got it. Tuning in at 7:45.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac