Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ohio State's Coaching Staff Beyond 2024

+3 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
March 6, 2024 at 12:38pm
17 Comments

This staff for 2024 is unreal, but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on what the make-up will look like past this season. Is this staff made up with the mindset of going all out for 2024, and worrying about the future after we win the Natty? Or is it a staff you think could be around a few years. My opinion:

Knowles - I think he's here for good. He made it clear the only way he'd leave to be a HC is if he got a once in a lifetime opportunity. Duke was probably that for him, and he was not selected. Being 58 and only having HC experience at Cornell, I doubt he's going to get an offer that would make him leave his current gig

Kelly - I know, I know, he hates NIL. But does he really hate NIL itself? Or does he hate how bad UCLA was at it? If he is offered another big time job at a program that has their ducks (no pun intended) in a row, I could see him leaving. I don't think he's getting an NFL HC job again. But he did flirt with OC jobs in the NFL. My prediction is 2 years at OSU for Kelly. 

Frye - Ryan Day will determine his future more than Frye himself. However, if Chip leaves for a HC gig, Frye could leave to be the OC, though he already left that same role to take a small demotion at Ohio State. 

Alford - Same as Frye. His future will be determined based on this season. Needs to lock in on the recruiting trial. 

Hartline - Spend 2 years learning from Chip, and take over the reigns on offense. Obviously a hot name at MAC level jobs, but seemingly zero interest from Hartline right now to leave OSU

LJ - 1 or 2 more years before 36 holes a day

JL - Young developing coach. He will be here awhile in my opinion

Walton - Very little info on him, but he seems to love being a position coach. I'm sure he has aspirations to be a coordinator at some point, but I think we have a few more years out of him. 

Matt G - Outside of LJ's retirement, I think this is the most likely defensive coach to leave sooner rather than later. Already has DC experience and is viewed as a Knowles protege. 

Overall, I love this staff. You have to worry about things 1 year at a time in this gig, but it definitely helps if you don't get Hafley'd. I think with my opinion that Knowles stays for the long haul, and if Hartline develops under Kelly/Day, OSU is set for a bright future. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments