Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Kinda Want to Give Coach Frye One More Season

-1 HS
BuckShotGinn's picture
January 2, 2024 at 1:15pm
182 Comments

I'm certainly not satisfied with the current state of the OL, but hear me out.  We lost both NFL starting OT's and an unexpected exit of C Wypler.  Recruiting misses from both  previous and current staff made "next up" that more difficult. But, was it just me or aside from the Mizzou game, did you not notice a significant improvement in OL play as the season progressed? 

We started the season with the worst Buckeye starting OL in memory, but in the second half, there was more than adequate pass protection and our running game started to make noise (regardless of the opponents and most of them were better than Indiana, YSU and WKU where we looked worse).  I know Trey made a lot of that happen, but if we had a truly horrible blocking OL , he couldn't do enough of that on his own.  

Against Michigan, the line played good enough against a close to elite DL to win the game had not the unthinkable happened.  Par for the course,  Kyle was always late on the release time and held on for way too long, but even then for the most part, he had enough time.  That second half drive where we basically ran it down their throats to tie the game was also very impressive.  

Certainly, the Mizzou game did piss me off for the lack of both preparation and adjustments on the OL and hot headed me would have been fine seeing Frye get his walking papers.  

But now in fair hindsight, I can't overlook the fairly profound improvement up until the whirlwind of bad happened (Kyle leaving, QB2 hurt in 1st half and the Hinzman incident) in what was to be honest a mostly meaningless game.

I will be patient if Day is for one more season to right the ship, otherwise I will be fine having both exiting the program in 2025. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 182 Comments