Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Looking Back on 2023 - What Should Have Been the Realistic Expectations Coming In?

+2 HS
BeatMeechigun's picture
December 31, 2023 at 12:39pm
35 Comments

Friday stunk. There’s no way around it. Changes in the staff are needed, there’s no way around it.

But taking a step back, what were the reasonable expectations going in? Some predicted as many as 3-4 losses, many predicted 1-2, some held optimism that McCord would magically become a 2023 version of 2002 Craig Krenzel. Honestly, I think a lot of us are simply in denial about how damn good TTUN is …though I’m optimistic the buoying force will be proven to have been the cheating scandal that boosted their play and confidence in all areas. Regardless, these are undoubtedly the three best teams TTUN has put out since at least the mid 70s, and perhaps even since the late 40s. We’re sick of losing to them and call it inexcusable…but they also happen to currently be ranked #1. 

Some won’t like this but I actually think this 2023 team overachieved…which lead to increasingly higher expectations with each win despite glaring flaws in our ability to control the line of scrimmage, despite unproven or inadequate play at QB that resulted in no clear starter for the first 25% of the season, despite abysmal special teams. The escape at ND a win at a mediocre Wisconsin, and a win over a PSU team that is perhaps a ~15th best team in the nation rather than the title contender Urban touted them as built hope that something special was brewing.

The WR corps masked much of those flaws and some sparks of elite runs diluted the OL concerns.

This certainly was not a 2019, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2015, 2019, 2005, 1995, 1996, or 1998 team loaded with talent across the board. This was also a clear step behind our contending but imperfect 2022, 2020, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2007, 2003, 2009 teams. I’d land this squad somewhere amidst the 1997, 2013, 1993, or 2008 type teams - good enough to go toe to toe with most 5th to 15th ranked teams, but not elite enough to be a real threat to win it all.

Changes are needed. Beyond a doubt the OL, special teams, and QB coach are not cutting it. But I also think we were far too optimistic about this team’s potential - especially after Ewers departed. I also think his departure showed that Day needs to build a complete machine (a good OL and D) and not rely so heavily on elite QB and WRs to mask all deficiencies.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 35 Comments