Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Day’s Hole He Dug

+10 HS
TBDBloggerITL's picture
December 30, 2023 at 1:34pm
107 Comments

I’m no expert when it comes to college football coaching dynamics, and that most definitely applies to OSU as well. So, I was hoping my fellow Buckeyes could share their opinion on a simmering feeling (I call it a feeling because most of what I’m about to say is not based in facts, but hearsay) that I feel the end of this season has shown a light on. 

Ryan Day has dug himself into a big hole with the offensive coaching staff and idk if he can get out of it without taking a hit in recruiting or offensive production next year. Here’s why I believe that. Hartline was promoted to OC because he has been arguably (and not even that hard of an argument to make) the best recruiter in the nation and Hartline felt like/deserved more responsibility and pay, or risk him leaving and taking his recruits with him. In Days mind Hartline is not a true play caller and offensive schemer at the level OSU needs otherwise I do believe he would have given him the reigns. 

Now, if Day wants to make a change he either has to demote Hartline at risk of pissing him off and leaving or add a co-OC and also risk him leaving. Hartline stays and Ryan Day keeps play calling (not my choice) or brings someone in and Hartline leaves. Maybe I’m wrong but I thought promoting Hartline to OC was a bad move in the long run when it happened. Am I off base?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 107 Comments