Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs WKU

+3 HS
Large Father's picture
September 14, 2023 at 11:37pm
28 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

Ohio State has a 3rd down problem.

This isn't a new problem, but the consequences are more severe this year - even against a team like Y(ikes)SU.

By this point in the week, the third down problem has been talked to death in the media and with fan chatter...and it should be.  The problem is on both sides of the ball now.  Ohio State had a third down problem offensively last season, but the issue leapt over to the defensive side of the ball this year.  

With the new clock rules, the first two opponents sat on the ball and kept converting on third down, limiting OSU possessions. The Buckeye had trouble getting off the field, against the likes of Y(ikes)SU.  

My least favorite down and distance for the OSU offense is 3rd & 2.  It's disappointing at an alarming rate, even against the likes of Y(ikes)SU.   

The real issue with all of this is that it seems like a continuation of a lack of toughness.  I've wanted to ignore that sentiment, but it's getting tough to ignore.  

The 2002 Buckeyes were called the "Luckeyes" by many.  It wasn't luck.  Watching those games, OSU was always the toughest, most passionate team on the field.  2002 had Craig Krenzel instead of CJ Stroud, BUT 2002 OSU knocked opponents on their ass - ask The U.  If you combined the toughness of the 2002 team with the skill/talent of the 2022 team, it would be the best college football team of all time. 

I think I've come to the realization that the 2023 OSU squad is a finesse team, but they don't want to believe it.  

Good news! I have a solution for the third down issue on offense.  Don't get into it! Make sure you gain more than 10 yards on first down or second down.  The skill position talent is other-worldly, and I think Kyle McCord has the arm strength (and potentially the accuracy) to get the ball to them with aggressive play calling and letting the offense be what it is.  Don't put the burden on the offensive line to fight for yards in small, tough increments - small gains that they can't get.  Let it fly.  Score a touchdown on every possession and leave nothing to chance.

On the defensive side of the ball, I have a feeling the Buckeye defense will play with more energy if the offense is lighting up the scoreboard.  The talent is there...there are moments when the Silver Bullets are lowering the boom...the players seem to understand the system now, but they just play soft and seem disinterested for some reason.  I think this one can change in a hurry, but something needs to light the fire.

I typically prefer a tough team over a finesse team because attitude travels regardless of weather conditions, missed assignments, inexact play calling, feeling sick, playing on the road, a subdued home crowd, what the fans say, a dropped ball, a missed call by the refs, what the coaches say or don't say...and the opponent.  I would love to see some fire from the 2023 Buckeyes every snap and against every remaining opponent starting this Saturday!            

Touchdowns:  Marvin Harrison Jr., Emeka Egbuka, TreVeyon, Chip Traynum, Carnell Tate, Denzel Burke

OSU 42 WKU 21

Go Bucks!  Beat WKU!  Harry Miller for Heisman!

Stout Pops

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments