Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Quick Film Study of the DE's

+100 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
September 11, 2023 at 1:44pm
122 Comments

Alright I've worn myself out talking about the DE's and what they are or are not doing. Do they suck? Is it scheme based? I don't know. So I figured I'd actually dig a little deeper and see what is going on. After a few hours reading articles, watching film studies, and bits and pieces of the IU/YSU games, I'm feeling a little better about the DE's. 

Before we start, we must understand the basic philosophies of Jim Knowles scheme:

1. Assume non obvious passing downs are runs. Essentially start each play assuming it is a run, and adjust accordingly
  2. "Spill and Kill" - On non-throwing downs, the D-lines job is to crash everything to the middle, forcing (spills) the ball carrier outside, where a linebacker or safety tackles (kills) him. 
  3. Prefers "Heavy" DE's.  - Not talking about weight, rather the scheme

The reason that this is important, is that this scheme makes it more unlikely that DE's will get to the QB early in downs. So I want to only look at "obvious" passing down situations from the YSU game, because that is really the only way to judge the DE's performance rushing the QB in this scheme. Based on what I've seen from how he calls games, Knowles seems to consider 2nd and 10 and 3rd and >4 to be passing downs. Here we go. Below is a play-by-play of the passing downs but what I believe to be Knowles metric. 

Knowles brings 7 guys. Questionable playcall to say the least. Left Lathan Ramson on an island with zero inside help against a slot WR. Mike Hall was 1/2 second from a sack, but the QB honestly held it longer than he should've. Blame the playcall on this one. 

Next drive. 2nd and 15. Note the defensive front for OSU. Knowles puts JTT is a Wide-9 technique. The goal of this play is to set him up to be a pass rusher. Keeping the 2 DT's close to the center, takes the run responsibility off of JTT. He blows by the DE and nearly tips the screen. 

Very next play. This is something Knowles has shown a few times this year. 3rd and 15. Shows 6, but drops BOTH JTT and Sawyer into coverage. YSU was so confused that it looks like a screen play. Nope, the O-line just had no clue what was going on. 

2nd and 10, but YSU decides to run it. Folks, I want to see CJ Hicks too. But this play right here shows why Eichenberg and Chambers will play 90% of the snaps. Tommy is coming on a blitz (trying to give JTT a 1 on 1 situation). However, YSU decides to run it and Steele does exactly what he's supposed to do, and fills the void of the blitzing Tommy. I don't know what I love more. The play, or Steele's completely nonchalant reaction to it.  

Next play. Here is a different look. OSU actually goes into a Dime look (3-2-6). Another difference in this play, is that without a blitz, the d-line is tasked with getting to the QB and not simply hogging blocks. See JTT do a pass rushing spin move. Mike Hall blows up the middle, JTT gets loses his footing on the worlds greatest turf, and Caden Curry is 1/2 second away from forcing a fumble. All in all, OSU brought only 3 but the QB didn't have longer than 2.5 seconds to throw it. 

YSU deciding to run here with a little white flag waving. Man Tommy just has a sense of where to be. 

Okay this was lucky af by the YSU QB. He had no idea JTT was there when he avoided him. However, are you allowed to shove a DE down by the back? Or does blocking in the back not apply here. Whatever the case is, JTT should've had a sack if not for a stroke of luck or a missed call. 

Next play. For the 2nd time today, we see Knowles drop both JTT and Sawyer on a 3rd and long. YSU plays it better, but Sawyer does a great job in coverage and is there to make the tackle. Shades of the 2012 Denard Robinson run? If you watch it closely, Igbinusons leg/knee blocks Sawyer from finishing the tackle. Unfortunate, but you will live with being in the right spot. 

2nd and 8 probably doesn't fall into obvious passing down scenario, but I just had to show this play because it shows why DE's will never get a ton of love with Knowles. Now the plays ends up being a BBQ party by Styles, but focus on the early part of it by JTT. The entire purpose of what he is going, is trying to free up Tommy to make a play. Hell, JTT looks like a lead blocker with Tommy at FB coming through the hole. 

I think there were 2 more "obvious passing downs" during the game, but it was late in garbage time. Not going to show them. 

After watching all of this, I'm feeling a lot better about where the Defensive Line is at. If received well, I may do a thread showing 1st and 10 playcalls, and actually show what I mean by "Heavy DE" and "Spill and Kill". Just for the record, I went through and counted how often Sawyer and JTT were asked to be a primary pass-rusher. The answer is less than 5. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 122 Comments