Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

My Most Glass-Half-Full Take -- Day is Going to Morph This into the 2018 Offense (and Our D is Way Better Than 2018)

+25 HS
AVBuckeye's picture
September 10, 2023 at 2:03pm
68 Comments

I have two optimistic takes on the offense through two games this season:

First, Day is clearly using the first three games to work on things on offense. He is playing both quarterbacks (despite McCord, IMO, showing he is clearly QB1), he is working the same couple run plays to death, he is letting all his RBs get touches, he is challenging his OL on tough blocking assignments, etc. He is challenging his team to see what they have. I don't think it's fair at all to judge this offense just yet.

Second, being at the game yesterday, it seems like McCord really thrives in a tempo offense and throwing the ball short. His pass chart from IU showed he was 14/19 in throws under ten yards. It seems to me like Day is building on what he saw in game one. I'm not sure of McCord's exact numbers yesterday but he was also extremely efficient yesterday in the short game. Just charting the short throws in the first half:

1Q: 6 yard completion to Johnson

1Q: 4 yard completion to Harrison

1Q: 5 yard completion to Henderson (failed to convert third down rush)

1Q: 8 yard completion to Harrison

1Q: 5 yard completion to Ebuka, extended to 24 yards on a great play by EE

2Q: incomplete to Fleming

2Q: 9 yard completion to Harrison

2Q: 5 yard out route to Ebuka extended to a 17 yard gain

2Q: 4th and 1 screen to Ebuka, again makes a play for a 28 yard TD

Needless to say I was extremely pleased to see Ebuka in the screen game yesterday. That is an extension of our run game now. I think you're going to see more of that. I also think Harrison is effectively automatic on plays less than ten yards (D plays way off him).

One thing Day has shown in his tenure here is that he is going to get the ball to our best players. I think we all can see Harrison, Ebuka, Fleming, and eventually Tate are the strongest part of our offense. I think Day is going to transition this to a short passing game attack, with Harrison as a downfield threat that is going to open things up for the short passing game and running game.

I think against ND, we are going to see a high tempo offense and a lot of short throws, getting the ball in space to our best players. If that happens then I think we walk out of South Bend with a win. If not then I will turn into a grumpy fan.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 68 Comments