Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Let's Talk About the Ohio State Football Media Environment

+4 HS
Buckiowa's picture
August 25, 2023 at 2:40pm
6 Comments

Hi All, I'm aware this might be a bit of a controversial subject, so please keep this discussion civil, as per the rules. 

Like some other folks on this site, I have a subscription to a "$9.95" type of site (in my case, On3, others include 247Sports and Rivals). These kinds of subscriptions also give members access to information on other team sites, and for a while, it's seemed (at least to me) as though those other sites have access to much more information about the teams that they cover, in both the actual activities of the football team, and the programs' recruiting efforts, than the OSU beat. Specifically, other sites seem to have tons of "sourced" details regarding the happenings of daily football practices, weekly scrimmages, and very frequent (almost daily) updates on where those programs stand with their top recruiting targets. 

As an OSU fanatic (as I'm sure most of us are here), I'm sort of curious why this level of coverage doesn't exist on the OSU beat. To be clear, this is not an 11W-specific concern, as to me, no OSU-related site has this sort of daily coverage. Why is that?

My own speculation as to why OSU beat writers don't provide that level of team coverage stems from the media environment put in place by the athletic department as a matter of policy, even going all the way up to the Head Coach. I do remember that Ryan Day's policy on reporting player injuries was a sharp departure from previous coaches. 

Additionally, I'm of the opinion that this "Fort Knox" level secrecy regarding OSU team activities actively contributes to the following that some less-than-trustworthy sites and personalities have developed over time. OSU fans are hungry for team information, and they'll pay anyone to get it, so-to-speak. 

I'm curious what other OSU fans have to say about this. Are you satisfied with the level of coverage? If you think coverage is relatively light, why might that be the case?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 6 Comments