Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

One Major Issue That Needs to Be Fixed After the Season

+9 HS
macdaddybuckeyesupreme's picture
December 11, 2022 at 2:56pm
47 Comments

After having some time to think and after watching how Utah handled USC and especially containing Caleb Williams from running all over the field. I finally realized the issue we had that allowed those 2 big pass plays in the first half vs ttun.

It wasn't just that game though, it was a recurring issue all season, and that is the defensive line is giving up gap integrity, instead of containing the QB to step up into the pocket which is what you want to happen on a zero blitz the defensive ends would run up field and lose their gap integrity allowing the quarterback to get outside of the pocket and away from the blitzing players and picking up huge chunks of yards.

I specifically remember one play from the Utah game, it was USCs last possession before Utah completely pulled away, Utah's defensive end was not playing to just hit the quarterback, no he got near him, planted his feet like a linebacker pre snap and contained Caleb Williams then made the tackle.

Our issue with the defense, mainly the defensive line is we are so used to having a bosa or young, we need to realize we don't have anyone like that, and we need to teach a different way for the defensive line to be disruptive, instead of over pursuing the quarterback causing a break down and allowing huge runs from the quarterback, they need to play gap integrity way better. Especially on pass plays.

When the offense is running the ball, we really should look at what Georgia does with the gap destruction their defensive line does. When I say gap destruction, I mean the defensive line is so dominant in ruining the gaps for the running back it forces them outside where their safety Starks always makes a play.

Whether Larry Johnson can teach this I have no idea. Obviously you can't stop every play and sometimes you're going to get hit for a big gain, but if you force the quarterback into pressure, instead of trying to make the home run play yourself, I think it would greatly benefit the defense in the long term

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 47 Comments