Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

4Q Re-watch - The End of the Grieving; I'm Moving on Now

+5 HS
Cornholio's picture
November 27, 2022 at 10:02pm
10 Comments

Time to put a bow on this season with the final stanza of shit. And I love these stat sheets the University puts out, very telling details.  https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Ohio-State-vs.-Michigan-11-26-22.pdf

How many times do we hear people talk about 3rd down conversions given up and red zone scoring allowed? For whatever reason this team isn't very good at either. We get UM to 3rd and 11 from our 14, and all we need to do is prevent a first down, they kick the FG and we're down 7 with 14 minutes left, no biggie for this offense. McCarthy is flushed left, throws off balance, total softball into the end zone, and Hickman inexplicably not only loses his man, but tries to make up for it by running straight at him and jumping into his face without locating the ball. The ball was horribly overthrown and not catchable, Hickman didn't affect WR's leap or hands, but a flag comes out anyway. Game killer right there, just one play that summarizes the entire game for me - coverage break, mental lapse on DB, careless, undisciplined, UM lucky that QB not sacked and gets off something that appears catchable to an official - absolute dagger of a fail right there on so many levels, paired with plain old bad luck; Zach Harrison was about one breath away from a strip sack.

So then we get to 3rd down again, and finally give up the QB run when Eich gets blocked, goes backwards into Steele, who can't fill in time, and Hickman is looking to cover the inside slot (who's already covered) instead of watching the QB.

Now we have to hustle because we're down 2 scores. Marvin has single coverage up top, no safety help because Fleming runs a vert from the slot on the same side, and CJ doesn't throw to either of them. He checks to Miyan for no gain who is backpedaling when he catches and doesn't even have a chance. I mean seriously, you have to throw that to Fleming or Marv, in single coverage, all day. This is a great play call because on the motion of Fleming into the slot, UM doesn't follow - so you know only 2 DBs on that side of the field. And Stroud pumps twice and dumps. What is he so hesitant for?

2nd and 9, single coverage again, and Stroud doesn't pull the trigger. He scrambles and gets Fleming coming back. 3rd and 3, deflected screen pass. Either a lazy throw by Stroud, or Xavier doesn't get wide enough quickly because the DE jumps up and knocks it out. Stroud saw him, tried to throw over, and still couldn't do it. Again, you have the best possession receiver in football, and we're throwing a swing pass to a former walk-on? C'mon. I thought we might go for it there, 2 scores down with only 11 minutes left, but Day put it back on the D. Unsportsmanlike flag on the punt gives UM the ball at the 43 instead of the 28.

The very next play, Ransom interferes when he's playing centerfield and JK is almost there too. Another interception missed for not knowing where the ball is. The ball is slightly underthrown and actually hits Ransom in the shoulder. We do get a nice stop here on 3rd and 8, Moody misses FG, but they never should have even sniffed FG range.

So we're starting on our 39 (had really good starting field position all day), Hayden gets 3 when hole closes quickly. 2nd down PI on UM that wasn't called, really obvious when I saw it live and just a bad missed call, but Fleming has a step on his guy crossing the other direction, which is maybe a TD if Stroud hits him in stride. 4 wide again, big play to Buka, finally throwing deep middle, too little too late. From the 15, single coverage on everyone and Stroud doesn't see anything he likes, but he's looking at Fleming who makes a move and is immediately held by the DB - throw the ball! Let Fleming go get it or pick up a flag! If Stroud throws it to the corner it's either a TD or a PI. 2nd and 10 we run, not bad, but Dawand can't block a LB and get stopped for 6 yds. WTF Dawand. 3rd and 4, Marv is coming all the way across and Buka is looking for screen which is UNCOVERED but instead CJ throws off back foot to Stover who can't hold on when knocked out by DB. Buka has the entire field outside the hash to himself, Stroud has to look right for Marv or Buka - the only way you throw back across is if Stover is uncovered, which he was not. Another missed TD.

How does Edwards get free for 75 when we are playing to stop the run? Steele gets blocked and turned out, Eich takes on a blocker and gets stoned or can't see Edwards, and Ransom doesn't get depth - he makes a dive at the sideline, gets shoestrings. I think Eich was held by the C, but Ransom WTF man. You're fast, just push him out. That's basically game over right there, barring a miracle.

Marvin open on deep out, Stroud checks down to Xavier for 5. What is Stroud doing? Go down the field! Harrison had plenty of room to himself. The S is protecting the deep middle, not the sideline! First down to Buka but only 7 yards. Then a swing pass to Xavier that he catches behind the LOS, but nobody's blocking for him - that is a release valve, not option 1. Run for first down. 4 wide again, nice pocket, but we are dinking and dunking here. First down Fleming. Now we are at the 28 but using up lots of time. Finally, Harrison for 12. First down throw into the end zone, incomplete because DB had inside leverage on inside breaking route. Need to pick a different option there, like Fleming one-on-one to the outside. 2nd down, Stroud gets flushed, can't connect with Buka who slips in the end zone. UM only rushed 3 but got pressure, terrible blocking there. Stroud maybe could have run for a first, would have been close. 3rd down, Stover is open in the seam for a TD or at least a first, Stroud doesn't see it (OMG!)- scramble, underhand toss, interception, game over. Could have thrown a jump ball to Harrison in the corner, didn't do that either, and Harrison's being held. Throw it up!

UM 3rd and 3 from the 15, 8 man box - Steele blocked, Zach maybe held a little, Taron blocked - why are we letting the OL take our LBs out of the play when there's nobody behind them? Our DL got good push but the backers just sucked up into the wash. When Edwards gets the handoff they've already taken themselves out of the play, and Ransom who is unblocked on the other side ACTUALLY STOPS COMING because he's looking for the cutback - just jump on his back or chop his ankles or something! Why is he stopping when Edwards is looking at the hole in front of him? Edwards isn't even looking at Ransom, there was no cutback possibility, Ransom has to take him down - but he pauses, and Edwards gets through the hole.

Total fucking trash on both sides this quarter. Now just looking to get to 30 points, on 2nd and 1 PJJ of all people gives up a sack that should have been a Stroud fumble. Now we're throwing to Stover deep middle instead of a 5-star WR. Hit Stover right in the hands, nice throw, but the ball bounces off and into the air . . . . Stover's game pretty much sucked today too.

Really terrible safety play. Like, really terrible. DBs need to find the ball and make a play on it, there were picks to be had. CJ, tough day, don't think he's improving in Day's offense. Arm and accuracy not the issue, he needs to make better reads and understand when to let his guys go make a play or draw a flag. 

Day did not abandon the run game, like I've seen some people say, but he's gonna want a few of those play calls back. Generally I like running out of the 4-wide set which opens the box, but stay inside the tackles. Like the toss-sweep and bubble as a constraint play, not a first down play. But what do I know.

Your QB and your defense cannot have bad games on the same day. I don't know why we didn't switch coverages on defense - I didn't see anything other than man coverage with single high safety. I get trying to pressure McCarthy but how about trying to confuse him?

Just really disappointing failures all around.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments