Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Coaching Staff

+4 HS
John L's picture
November 26, 2022 at 8:37pm
17 Comments

The tough thing about this year's loss is there isn't a ton you can do to the coaching staff since it already got revamped so much last year, but here's what I would do with everyone.

Ryan Day - He better win next year or gone

Kevin Wilson - I guess he can stay.  But if you need the spot for a better OC, it's not like he's untouchable.  I wonder if there are too many yes-men for Ryan Day and they would be better off with a new OC who could call plays.

Brian Harline - Stays duh

Tony Alford - I guess he can stay, but I'm not trying too hard to keep him if he wants to go elsewhere.  Recruiting's not great, and the RB seemed to take a step backward this year.

Justin Frye - Only year 1 so probably deserves a 2nd year to prove himself.

Corey Dennis - If you can convince a proven QB coach to come, I would jettison him in a minute, but also realistically what QB coach is going to come because Day is the de-facto QB coach.

Jim Knowles - Only year 1 so probably deserves year 2, but if next year this happens again, goodbye (see Ryan Day)

Larry Johnson - Austin Ward heavily implied he's retiring.  Probably not the worst thing.  I would look for someone who works well with Knowles.  I got this weird feeling this year that Knowles and LJ weren't on the same page with how to use d-linemen.

Perry Eliano - I would move him to corners coach. It never made sense to me why he coached the Thorpe Award winner at corner at Cincy and now he's coaching a different position at Ohio State? Let Eliano coach his true position and hire an experienced safeties coach.

Tim Walton - Corners weren't good this year.  Is it totally his fault? No. But if Perry Eliano becomes corners coach, then unfortunately Walton probably has to go.

Parker Fleming - goodbye.  Special teams were pretty bad this year. Also, if there's still a ten coach limit, you gotta devote this position to defense.  Maybe another d-line or safeties coach, since there's so many different responsibilities among the safeties.

Mickey Marotti - tough, but I would seriously consider a change. The team quitting at the end of the game and getting run over in the second half for the second straight year is not a good reflection. He's been here a long time and maybe it's just stale. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments