Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

"Holding Back"

+19 HS
Horseshoe's picture
November 9, 2022 at 9:21pm
103 Comments

Seems like every thread has several comments about "holding back" offensive and defensive plays for The Game. I have been watching sports for 40 years and I honestly cannot remember seeing a team play so substantially different that it was evident that they were holding back and saving the good stuff for a certain opponent or game. Maybe a different wrinkle or two, but nothing substantial.

I don't think there is any magic 3D chess that will occur on November 26th. These two teams know who they are and they know their opponent. Michigan has a more defined identity and we have more talent.

Does anybody have any specific examples of a team holding back and saving significant parts of their game plan and play book for a specific opponent? I honestly cannot think of one. Maybe if Stroud ends up with 15 carries against TTUN, that would be an example of holding back. I think Michigan will try to play bully ball and Ohio State will try to hit big plays in the passing game. Our defense will commit to stopping the run and their defense will try to create pressure on Stroud to protect their weak secondary. I expect very few tricks. I don't expect to see either team try to create a new identity or reveal significant elements that were "held back".

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 103 Comments