Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Arkansas State

+9 HS
Large Father's picture
September 9, 2022 at 5:39pm
5 Comments

Tressels, Fickells, Urbans, Days, Johnsons and Days,

Last season, Ohio State does not win the game against Notre Dame.  But, this year's team is different...in a good way.

Two things holding back Ohio State the last two seasons were an ineffective defense and softness at the line of scrimmage and the run game.  Coming into this season, I wondered if those two glaring weaknesses were fixed...the Notre Dame game gave us a lot of hope.

Even though the ND game was competitive mid-way through the 3rd quarter, it never really felt like Ohio State was going to fail.  Notre Dame came in with a great defensive game plan (one upcoming opponents will try to copy) and really only moved the ball through a handful of pass plays that involved one missed tackle and a very lucky catch.  Other than that, the OSU defense looked fantastic right from the outset...the game could have very easily been a shutout.  

Last season, Notre Dame would have run over the Buckeye defense and controlled the clock and the line of scrimmage in the second half to pull away.  With Jim Tressel and the 2002 National Championship team in the stadium, this game was very appropriate. The Buckeyes were controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, and went to the ground - mixed with some very smart quarterback play from CJ - to pound out a victory.   

For those who have read these weekly prediction emails since I started in 2002, you may know that I love a team with stifling defense and a dominating run game.  Bring those things back...add them to Ryan Day's loaded aerial attack...and I like our chances.

Like all good teams, there are unexpected contributors that really put OSU over the top against the Fighting Irish.  

From the first snap, redshirt freshman defensive tackle, Mike Hall #51, was one of the best players on the field.  There were rumors he was playing well, but I'm trying to remember the last time we've seen a Silver Bullet defensive tackle that good.  

Also, when #10 for Ohio State caught a touchdown pass, I wasn't sure who that was at first.  My 7th-grade son shouted over the roar of the crowd that it was former walk-on, Xavier Johnson.  Just amazing...in a game with an atmosphere rivaling a CFP Championship Game (maybe even bigger), Xavier made two plays in a row helping seal a Buckeye victory.  Right after his touchdown, Xavier Johnson shed a block on the kickoff team and pinned Notre Dame deep in their own territory.  Ohio State offense was capable of driving the field for a score late in the game, but that was not happening for ND.

The 14-play, seven minute, 95-yard touchdown drive in the fourth quarter was a thing of beauty.  Notre Dame was done.  The Buckeyes finished them off after bringing it in the trenches all game and pounding them down.  How fortunate are we that Miyan Williams didn't hit the transfer portal? Miyan and TreVeyon were punishing runners.  They both were trying to run harder than the other...and appeared to be each other's best fan celebrating one another's success.

The last wild card that potentially takes a team from good to great is Jim Knowles.  After the first glimpse of the 2022 Ohio State defense, Knowles appears to be worth every penny.  The Ohio State defense the last two years was really, really bad.  The transformation last weekend was unreal.  Every Silver Bullet defender was in the right position, gap sound nearly every snap and came through their assignment with controlled aggression...punishing every play. 

Fantastic start to the season!  The 2022 Buckeye football chapter has the potential to be very interesting.  I would love to see 2022 OSU put the pedal to the metal and compete at a high level every game...including games where it may be natural to want to dial it back.  We'll find out tomorrow.    

Touchdowns: TreVeyon Henderson, TreVeyon, Emeka Egbuka, Marvin Harrison Jr., Marvin Harrison Jr., Miyan Williams, Dallan Hayden, Xavier Johnson

OSU 59 Arkansas St 0

Go Bucks! Beat Arkansas State! Josh Proctor for Heisman!

Puffy Padre

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments