Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Most Talented OSU Football Team Ever?

0 HS
billzonwheelz's picture
September 9, 2022 at 9:08am
78 Comments

Since recruiting has been recorded, Ohio State has landed some very talented football players, most notably in the last decade after Urban Meyer started his tenure as head coach of the Buckeyes. He set a standard of excellence and brought recruiting to an entirely new level. 

Ryan Day has carried the torch since then, recruiting better than Meyer did thus far. Each of his first three full recruiting classes was ranked in the top-five nationally (fifth in 2020, second in 2021, and fourth in 2022), according to the 247sports composite rankings. 

While doing my usual thing and looking at recruiting news and updates on the site, I was curious to see who the all-time highest-ranked Buckeye recruits were. As I was gazing through the list, I couldn't help but notice that many of the top-ranked recruits are on Ohio State's 2022 roster. In fact, fourteen of the top fifty all-time recruits are on the Buckeyes' roster this year.

I'm not sure how well your math skills are, but that means that 28% of them are on this current Buckeye football team. That's the highest percentage of all time! 

The current players on the team that cracked the all-time top fifty list are Jaxon Smith-Njigba (45th), Kyle McCord (44th), Harry Miller (43rd), TreVeyon Henderson (41st), Taron Vincent (36th), Donovan Jackson (31st), Zach Harrison (21st), Sonny Styles (19th), Emeka Egbuka (17th), C.J. Hicks (16th), Paris Johnson Jr. (15th), Julian Fleming (7th), Jack Sawyer (6th), and J.T. Tuimoloau (5th). 

I understand that recruiting rankings don't mean everything, as many of OSU's top-ranked recruits over the years never really amounted to much in Columbus. I also understand that football is ultimately played on the field.

But on paper, this 2022 squad is the most talented team in Ohio State history.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments