Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Teams Most Likely to Beat OSU In 2022

+14 HS
billzonwheelz's picture
July 26, 2022 at 1:44am
79 Comments

There's no need for an introduction to this, as the title says exactly what the article is about. However, I'm nice and will give you one anyway. While I know that teams like Alabama and Georgia would have the best shot at beating Ohio State if they played each other, they're not on the Buckeyes' schedule. For the simple fact that the only chance they would have of playing them is if they met in a bowl game, I am excluding such teams from the equation.

So, without further ado, here are the five teams on Ohio State's schedule that have the best chance of beating them.

5.) Penn State

Preseason ranking: 16th

2021 record: 7-6

Result of the last meeting (2021): Ohio State 34, Penn State 23

Storyline: Although this game will be played at Beaver Stadium, likely in front of a crowd of 106,000+ screaming fans, the Nittany Lions lost a lot of talent from what was the third-best defense in the conference last year.

Although former five-star running back Noah Cain, the team's second-leading rusher last season, transferred to LSU, junior-to-be Keyvone Lee will look to take the reign as the full-time starter and improve upon his 530-yard season. If that doesn't work out, look for incoming freshman Nick Singleton to make a splash as a true freshman. He was the most heavily recruited running back in the 2021 class.

Perhaps the best news for the team is that quarterback Sean Clifford will be back for one more season after throwing for 3,127 yards and 21 touchdown tosses last year. 

4.) Wisconsin 

Preseason ranking: 21st

2021 record: 9-4

Result of the last meeting (2019): Ohio State 34, Wisconsin 21

Storyline: I have Wisconsin above Penn State on this list for the simple fact that there is a good chance that the Badgers will play Ohio State twice; once in the regular season and once in the Big Ten championship game.

Although the Badgers will have to replace several pieces on what was the country's No. 1 ranked defense last year, they always seem to have a very formative defense under defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard. 

With the return of quarterback Graham Mertz and running back Braelon Allen, the Big Ten's leading returning rusher, the offense should improve this season. This will be a team that should not be overlooked.

3.) Michigan 

Preseason ranking: 6th

2021 record: 12-2

Result of the last meeting (2021): Michigan 42, Ohio State 27

Storyline: Last year, Michigan mauled the Ohio State defensive front, rushing for nearly 400 yards and six touchdowns. Hassan Haskins, now with the Tennessee Titans, had 197 yards and five touchdowns himself.

While the Wolverines will have to find an answer at running back, and replace several pieces on what was a stellar defense (most notably Aiden Hutchinson, the No. 1 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft) it's still Michigan that we're talking about. They are always a threat to beat Ohio State.

However, to beat them, they'll have to do it in front of a sellout 100,000+ crowd in Columbus, Ohio, a place where Michigan hasn't won a game in 22 years.

2.) Notre Dame

Preseason ranking: 5th

2021 record: 11-2 

Result of the last meeting (2015): Ohio Start 42, Notre Dame 28 

Storyline: Former Ohio State linebacker and current head football coach at Notre Dame, Marcus Freeman, seems to already have things going in the right direction for the program. Under his tutelage, he looks to build off of the Fighting Irish's 11-2 record last year and he has done a hell of a job recruiting this offseason. 

With a lot of returning talent from last year, Notre Dame is expected to make a push for a playoff spot this coming season.

I have Notre Dame ahead of Michigan on this list because it will be the first game of the season, and you never know how rusty or polished the teams will be, as new starters adjust to their roles and there'll be chemistry issues on both sides of the field.

1.) Ohio State 

Preseason ranking: 2nd 

2021 record: 11-2

Result of the last meeting: 45 points and 463 yards given up, 7 penalties for 70 yards, and two turnovers

Storyline: Wait, is this a typo, or did I really say that Ohio State is the team that has the best chance of beating Ohio State? You're damn straight I did! Being the most talented team of any other team on its schedule, the best chance the Buckeyes have of losing is if they beat themselves.

They must play mistake-free football and simply play to the best of their ability in each and every game.

Your thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 79 Comments