Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Week's Question: If You Could Add Any Assistant Coach to Ohio State’s Staff, Who Would You Pick?

Garrick Hodge's picture
December 6, 2021 at 8:00am
61 Comments

We all know Ohio State more likely than not will have a new defensive coordinator next season. 

So with only the Rose Bowl remaining on the Buckeyes' schedule, it's time to look ahead to next season, especially during this spicy coaching carousel. Which brings us to this week's question: if you could add any assistant coach to Ohio State's staff, which one would you pick? The only rule here is it can't be a sitting head coach, so no, Nick Saban isn't an option.

Gonna go out on a limb and say all of these answers will be a defensive coach, unless someone is really trying to play chess while everyone else plays checkers. 

Two of the more would-be obvious answers to this question are now head coaches: Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame, and Brent Venables at Oklahoma. 

When discussing this question with my colleague, Dan Hope, he suggested Michigan defensive coordinator Mike MacDonald, both because of his qualifications and to take him away from Michigan. Then the conversation moved to Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles, which feels like a more realistic option.

But that's thinking too small! That's right folks, I'll tell you who Ohio State needs: Ed Orgeron. Off the field issues aside, the dude is a talented defensive mind, and it would be very helpful to add to the staff if the rumors of Larry Johnson's impending retirement indeed come true. 

But more important than that (at least to me, the guy that has to cover the team), he would be hilarious. Imagine him breaking out a Geaux Buckeyes after every press conference. I at least hope he'd have the sense not to pull a Brian Kelly and try to talk in a Midwest accent his first day on the new job. 

Anyway, is this a realistic option? Probably not. Would it be fun? Hell yeah. 

Reply with your answer in the comments. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 61 Comments