Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2021 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 10 VS THE HUSKERS

+5 HS
osurox's picture
November 4, 2021 at 10:13am
24 Comments

Good Morning Dubbers! It's Nebraska Week, and what looked to be a trap game after beating not our rival has lost its luster. Scott Frost is already answering questions about keeping his job, and let's be honest this year hasn't been kind to him. From 6 losses by 1 score or less to the off-field scandal (alleged) involving hookers and weed, Frost looks lost out there. However, as we all know, when the Bucks come to town it's everyone elses' super bowl, even if Martinez trots out as QB - that guy is a turnover machine.

Now, I don't believe Stroud and company will have any issues dealing with the Huskers, but stranger things have happened (obligatory):

That being said, this should be  nice tune-up game and I expect the Bucks to roll easily. I wanted to try some local Nebraska style food, and well, the normal corn in a can or popcorn doesn't really excite me. So, I did some digging and found something Nebraskans love to eat: Cheese Frenchees (aka deep-fried grilled cheese).

Cheese Frenchee

Ingredients 

• 6 slices American, Cheddar, or Pepperjack Cheese
  • 6 slices white bread
  • Mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups cornflake crumbs, crushed fine
  • 2 to 4 Tablespoons butter, for frying

Directions

• Prepare 3 sandwiches - spread mayo  and add 2 slices of cheese on 3 separate slices of bread, then top to make a sandwhich. Cut each sandwich in half (form 6 triangles)
  • Combine egg, milk, flour, and salt and mix well
  • Dip each triangle into the egg mixture and then coat with the cornflake crumbs.
  • Lightly fry each sandwich in 2 tablespoons butter (or oil), turning to brown each side.
  • Repeat with each sandwich.

Pro Tips

• Add some sliced of deli meat between the cheese slices - ham/turkey/roast beef etc.
  • Double up the cheese and mix the types up for creativity
  • Substitute out the corn flakes for cheetos or doritos etc. - use whatever chip you may want. Just add to a ziplock bag and crush up before dipping.

Enjoy, and Go Bucks!

Tailgate Fare Historical Archive
11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments