Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2021 TAILGATE FARE - WEEK 8 VS. THE HOOSIERS

+13 HS
osurox's picture
October 21, 2021 at 10:07am
29 Comments

Good morning Dubbers!  Thanks all for contributing to last weeks "Bye Week Extravaganza" - I made that taco dip Earl shared and it was quite delicious. This week, we take on the mighty Hoosiers, which before the season started this looked like a marquee matchup. Unfortunately, Indiana just isn't that good this year, especially on defense. With THE best offense in the country coming to town (since Coastal gave up that title last night), I'm liking our chances. 

I'm actually making the trek over from Columbus for this game, and yes we will be tailgating somewhere by the stadium in the grass lots.  I had to dig deep this week to find something, as my typical go-tos have been shared over the past few years of doing these threads with 3M and Chief. However, I did stumble across something my mom used to make - pigs in a blanket.  But these aren't your ordinary hot-dog and crescent roll combo, I decided to get fancy.

Sausage Puffs With Bourbon Mustard

Ingredients

• All-purpose flour
  • 1 package of frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed
  • 8 fully cooked andouille sausages
  • 1/2 c. whole-grain Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp. bourbon
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 large egg, whisked
  • 1 Jalapeno, finely diced

Instructions:

• Lightly dust your counter with flour (or throw down some parchment paper and dust it). Unfold the pastry and lightly flour the top. Cut the pastry into 16 long strips with a pizza wheel.
  • Do this 1 at a time: spiral a strip around a sausage, until the sausage is mostly wrapped up. Repeat with remaining strips and sausage. Chill for about an hour.
  • Consume beverage(s) of choice while you wait.
  • After an hour or so, preheat your oven to 375°F. Brush the outside of the pastries with the egg. Bake until puffed and golden brown, around 20 minutes. 
  • While baking, make the mustard sauce. Add mustard, honey, diced jalapenos, and bourbon to a bowl and mix well.
  • When the pastries are done, remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, and then slice into chunks.
  • Serve with mustard sauce.

Pro Tip #1 - Make these the night before and heat up in the oven, or on a grill. Wrap them in foil until you are ready to eat.

Pro Tip #2 - You can add/subtract anything from the mustard sauce, such as tomatoes, onions, cheese, bacon etc.

Pro Tip #3 - You will have more pastry than you need for 8 sausages, so just make more sausages. I plan on serving both andouille and bahamma mammas from Schmidt's. 

I plan on washing these down with plenty of ice cold beverages served in red solo cups. If you're going to the game, stop by my tailgate. We will have a big van, canopy, and a high flying OSU flag.

Enjoy, and Go Bucks!

Tailgate Fare Historical Archive
11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments