Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Path to the Playoffs After Week 6(Time to Root for the Dawgs)

-5 HS
Spartan13's picture
October 10, 2021 at 7:54pm
85 Comments

After the drubbing of Maryland and the Bama loss this OSU team making the playoffs is looking more and more real. To start obviously OSU needs to win out and this isn't meant to be a discussion about if OSU can do that or how good they are/will be. However I do want to mention that OSU has risen to #2 in SP+ ahead of Bama and even though Maryland/Rutgers arent great they arent bad and OSU has played perfect for 3 weeks. And as great as UGA is, a team that will rely on slowing down OSU on offense and using a slow plodding offense is a team I would much rather play than Bama. Go Dawgs!!!

Overall Picture:
#1 Seed-SEC(UGA)-The Dawgs are undefeated and shouldn't be tested until Bama in the championship game. Again root for UGA because they are a much better matchup than Bama and if Bama wins then OSU may need to play 2 SEC teams as opposed to a cupcake and then UGA. 
#2 Seed-Big 12(OU)-Somehow Oklahoma is still undefeated. In their 6 games they have played in five one score games and an FCS team. They should keep winning for awhile with an easy schedule but they end the season with Baylor, ISU, and OkState before the Big 12 championship. Root hard for them to lose 1 time to get bumped behind OSU. 
#3 Seed-Pac12(Oregon)-I know there was a lot of debate last time but there is a 0% chance that OSU would be ahead of Oregon if they win out. I can't believe I have to explain this but Oregon beat OSU in Columbus without the best player in the country and 5 other defensive starters. I think OSU would beat Oregon by 30 if they played again but the game happened. Root for them to lose to eliminate the Pac12 from the playoff. 
#4 Seed-OSU(B1G)-A gauntlet of a finish is in store for this red hot OSU team. PSU, MSU, Michigan, and Iowa are all currently in the top 10.This team would be well tested if they win out and would have a great resume with the lone loss being by 7 points in September to a good team. 

#5-UC-they need to finish undefeated but if OU or Oregon lose then an AAC team in the playoffs is looking realistic. A rematch against UGA would be fun too. I hope we get to see it.
#6-Bama-They have to win out to make it but really hope they dont. Bama and UGA are the only teams with the talent to beat OSU in a playoff on a neutral field. Hopefully UGA can handle their business. 

Rooting Interests
B1G-Iowa going undefeated would be huge and they could be the #2 team behind UGA come B1G championship time. That is a free pass into the playoff. Also want the trio of PSU, MSU, and Michigan to win every game outside of when they play each other. 
SEC-UGA to win out and Bama to not make the playoffs. 1 SEC team and no Clemson would be the softest playoff field since 2015 when MSU snatched OSU's spot. 
Big12-Oklahoma to lose would be big. Iowa State is our favorite because they can't make the playoffs with 2 losses and lost to Iowa.
Pac12-Oregon to lose? A rematch with Oregon would be fun and we would just need UGA to win out and OU to lose to get the rematch.  Oregon losing eliminates the Pac12 from the playoff though. 
ACC-who cares lmao

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 85 Comments