Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Only Worry - Defense

+10 HS
Signor Ferrari's picture
August 24, 2021 at 11:09am
119 Comments

As a Buckeye and Browns fan, every season I convince myself that the Buckeyes are 50/50 to win the National Title, while resigning myself to the reality that even if the Browns look like they will be good, Something Bad will happen to crush that.

While my scarlet colored glasses are usually a little optimistic, the Bucks (and Browns) have largely trended in the above direction.  And now Ryan Day is building a monster on top of a monster and, inevitably, we will soon be knocking down Alabama's door for #1 program status.

Or will we?

On offense, the sky is the limit and we are clearly in, and still on an upward trajectory for, the greatest offensive stretch in Ohio State's illustrious history.

On defense?  Well defense is where we are always dependable.  The Buckeyes always have a good, and sometimes great, defense, even when the offense was occasionally painful to watch.  So you look at last year, shrug your shoulders and say "all will be fine."

But... in the back of my head there is that little voice asking -- could we become Oklahoma?  An offensive savant with an offensive genius at head coach that nevertheless gets laughed out of the room on the big stage because of its porous defense. 

That couldn't happen to Ohio State, right?  But it has happened to others before, even with elite defensive recruiting (see Oklahoma).  This is where Ryan Day is unproven.  Kerry Coombs is unproven as well (at being "the" guy).

This is my only worry (well that and the NFL poaching Day).  I'm not "that" worried, but... not 100% confident either.

Tell me why I shouldn't worry.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 119 Comments